PDA

View Full Version : starting out cold...then torturing the opponent

07-20-2002, 01:37 PM
just wondering if anyone else has the same problem. ill start out cold, plain dead for a stroke. an hour or so later, my stroke warms up, i catch a gear, and im unbeatable for hours on end. its weird why it takes me a while to get my rythm going. anyone know why im so weird? no smart ass answers please. anyone else have this problem?

Rod
07-20-2002, 01:57 PM
Your not weird or if you are then so am I. It's about the same for me. I think it just takes more time for some of us to warm up. If I practice by myself and do a few stroke drills first at a slow pace it happens faster. I blame mine on not playing on a regular basis. However It's been pretty rare anytime in my life that I could just jump up and play full speed. The exception would be when I played almost every day. Stretching exercises may help, especially your arms and upper body. Just a thought, it does help me when I take a little time to do such.

Q-guy
07-20-2002, 02:44 PM
It is a common problem. Doesn't mean much gambling, but is deadly in tournament play. A number of successful tournament players, are so, because they have a knack for hitting you with 100% play right out of the box. Yet in a no time limit session they may in fact not be all that tough to beat. Without naming names there, more players that fall into this category then you might think. Money players often lose to what they perceive as inferior players in tournament play. The truth is, in that arena, the best player is the one that can get there. It may not be the most skilled.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-20-2002, 08:00 PM
If you believe you 'start out cold' you will more times than not, 'start out cold'. Your mind is a very powerful insturment for suggestion. Ever see a shot miss, just the way you imagined it moments befor you shot?

It has been my experience that when I am not shooting as well as I expect to when matching up, I find my self looking for an excuse. "Starting out Cold" is a fairly common excues for early misses. If you aren't in a rhythm at the beginnig of a match, you head is somewhere else.

I preach "pre-shot routines" if you have one, let it be more pronounced in your first match. Dwell on the "pre-shot routine" as much as possible. Pre-shot routines tend to help block out distractions like "Starting out cold".

p.s. If you don't have a pre-shot routine, now is the time to develope one.

Voodoo Daddy
07-20-2002, 08:09 PM
Coming up as a kid I watched the man who schooled me get out of his car, go to the table and run balls. I asked him once how he was able to do it day in and day out, he said "if you cant run out from the car you should run back to it!" I'm a slow tournament starter but quick outta the gate for dough...wish I wasnt dyslexic...HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

07-20-2002, 08:40 PM
If you're weird, put me in an institution. It wasn't until reading an article by an instructor who shall remain nameless did I realize why I can't win tournaments or haven't won one thus far. This author wrote an article differentiating between the tournamet player and the match player Squash match I know he meant money player. The tournament player is that guy that can sit for an hour get up kick ass, sit for a half get up and kick ass. The money player gets stronger as he goes along, raises the bet at the appropriate time. That's not a quote but, that article convinced me that I'm a money player. Somethings got to be wrong when I'm destroying players on a daily and when I get in a tournament I feel like I'm on another planet. That's when I gave up trying to get my name on a wall and shot for getting Kahn on the lips of many. Think about it and try to discern which class you fall into based on your problem I think I know. It doesn't really matter which one it is. Respect is respect. Although I feel I was superior to the guys who beat me. They are superior indeed because I lost plain and simple. In that format of play, I lack the ingredient to get the job done. So I would like to take this time to formally welcome you to this fraternity of cutthroat gentlemen, fantastic weilders of the stick, the gents with ice water in their veins all must respect The Money Players.

Vapros
07-20-2002, 08:48 PM
If being 'unbeatable for hours on end' is a problem, I have missed this one. Never been bothered with this ailment. I can't tell you what to take for it.

Chris Cass
07-21-2002, 11:40 PM
Hi A,

I had the problem of not being able to come out of the gate also. It's a good idea to play some races to five tourneys. Then you haven't a choice but come out. That'll cure ya.

Changing gears is what all good players have. Catching different gears while gambling, is a good thing too. The best players are the ones who are able to win, by just enough.

Regards,

C.C.

griffith_d
07-22-2002, 06:04 AM
Most of the time I am a slow starter and end up making every ball I touch. That just the way it is. Other times, in practice before the tournament, I am on fire right out of the cue case, and then drop off for one reason or another, which is obviously worse if I don't get put out quick.

There is something to be said for not getting enough time to get going, not warmed up,...and so on. Even Superbowl Champs can go out and get killed by a crappy team, if the crappy team is clicking.

I try to arrive before everyone each week at the tournament and get extra practice so I will be warm. I do have the problem of sitting for awhile and then getting cold. If constantly play, I only get better. So, in between matches, I like to find someone to play to stay warm.

Griff

07-22-2002, 06:57 AM

Doctor_D
07-22-2002, 07:06 AM
Good morning:

If you would like to play on a table with "Tight" pockets, you should visit Chris in NC's room. He has a table with 3.5" pockets.

Dr. D.