PDA

View Full Version : chalking question...

bubbachuck
01-18-2007, 08:34 PM
how do you guys prefer to chalk your stick? kinda sounds like a stupid question but when i chalk mine i always get my hands really messy and my shaft pretty messy too.. its really annoying because as my hands get dirty i dont want to further dirty my stick so i wash my hands and the moisture left on my hands makes the squeaky friction that prevents smoothe glide.. i chalk with my index and thumb on the chalk and the palm of my hand is slightly under the tip of the cue while i chalk it.. its the only way i find comfortable..

ABQ_Poolhead
01-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Chuck, may be different but I only chalk by standing the cue on the floor and chalking lightly across. This way I can see the tip and inspect for bald spots (especially side of tip) or too much chalk. I do this every shot. It's habit.

canadan
01-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Try the other hand. The grip hand.

sygfrid
01-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Chalk lightly across the tip. Don't grind the chalk into the tip, not only are you wasting the chalk, you'll also be creating a deep core. You'll know that you're chalking properly if the chalk wears evenly throughout the cube.

Try also chalking sideways & in "writing" motion, that way less chalk will fly onto your hand. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Snapshot9
01-19-2007, 05:24 AM
I brush the chalk across the tip 3-4 times, rotate my cue, and give it 3-4 more brushs. I like new chalk, and do not use chalk that is more than halfway used. (to keep my ferrule clean)

bubbachuck
01-19-2007, 07:18 AM
thanks for the tips ill try some out later and see how comfy they are /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cushioncrawler
01-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Bubbachuck. I had two chalking problems in 2006, and both made me misscue a lot.
1... I hold my cue the same way for all of my screw shots, koz my cue has a slight bend to the right. Thusly, the same bit of the tip contacts the qball for all screw shots. This leads to the tip getting more worn here, and hence the tip gets a bit out of shape, ie not symmetrically "rounded". Not only that, but my block of chalk was getting old, ie the worn bits were getting deepish. So, i was starting to spin the block when chalking the qtip, i mean spin it more than normal. My normal action includes much wiping of the chalk across the qtip, but here i found myself spinning more than wiping. Eventually, i worked out that the spinning action duz not place chalk properly on an unsymmetrical qtip -- the worn bit of the tip gets little or zero chalk -- hence the misscues. So, i got the block and rubbed it on some concrete to flatten it, so that i could return to my normal chalking action -- plus, i rounded my qtip a bit using sandpaper. I have to add that it is very dark around a 12' table, due to the stupid lighting, and if u want to check your qtip u have to lean out over the table where the light is allmost good.

2... Later, i started to misscue again. This time i found that the dark unchalked bits of qtip could again be seen, so i took even more care to make sure that no part of the qtip was missed. But the misscueing problem got worse. Eventually, i found that the bare looking bits of the qtip werent bare bits at all, they were smudges of brass. What was happening was that the "skirt" of the block was rubbing the brass ferrule on my cue, and on closer inspection i could see lots of dark bands of brass on the block. Occasionally, this brass would be painted onto the qtip, hence misscue. Once again, i scraped the block on concrete to flatten the surface, and took more care when chalking -- problem solved. madMac.