PDA

View Full Version : shaft knick...

bubbachuck
01-19-2007, 07:20 AM
i just got a little dent in my shaft about 3/4 way up it near the tip.. whats the easiest and safest way to remove them because its throwing off my concentration... thx

mworkman
01-19-2007, 07:26 AM
Not sure if this is the best way, but this is what I do..

Place a small drop of water over the dent, let it soak in for about 10minutes. Take something made out of glass and rub back and forth over the dent. You may have to do this a couple times, but it should come out.

bubbachuck
01-19-2007, 07:45 AM
thanks.. any other suggestions, i want to hear a lot of options before i try to do one..

bubbachuck
01-19-2007, 07:59 AM
what about wetting a corner of a towel and pressing an iron on the towel over the dent for a couple of seconds? good or bad?

FatsRedux
01-19-2007, 02:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bubbachuck:</font><hr> thanks.. any other suggestions, i want to hear a lot of options before i try to do one.. <hr /></blockquote>

Get a whistling tea kettle and put about a cup and a half of water into it and boil the water until the kettle starts whistling. Place the dented portion of the shaft directly onto the steam coming out of the kettle for about 5 seconds, and see if the dent/knick has popped out. If it hasn't repeat until it does. Once the dent is out use a wad of paper towel and rub the shaft up and down vigorously to burnish and dry the shaft. Finish it off by burnishing the shaft again with a leather shaft slicker and you'll be good to go.

I have used this method for years and it works for all but the very deepest dents or knicks.

Fats

Bob_Jewett
01-19-2007, 03:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bubbachuck:</font><hr> thanks.. any other suggestions, i want to hear a lot of options before i try to do one.. <hr /></blockquote>
There is a whole sections on removing dings in the RSB (a newsgroup about cue sports) FAQ (frequently asked questions with answers list). It's available at

http://www.sfbilliards.com/faq.html

and I think you want the answer to question #9.

sack316
01-20-2007, 06:11 AM
I usually take a hot cup of water and use a matchstick (the back end). Dip the end of the matchstick into the hot water and use that to drop a drip of the water into the knick and it should swell out. pretty much the same idea others have posted, just another method of doing it.

Sack

sygfrid
01-22-2007, 01:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>It's available at http://www.sfbilliards.com/faq.html
and I think you want the answer to question #9. <hr /></blockquote>

Very nice suggestions! Try the simpler methods first before going to more drastic ones like using a glass. But if you're really not sure, you can take your shaft to a professional cue maker or pro shop /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif