PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions on cheap tables

whipy
01-20-2007, 07:17 AM
Hey, I found a few cheapish MDF tables ($500-650) of about 200 pound weight online, do you guys think they are worth considering? Or should I save up three times the money to get a good second-hand table? Here are the links:

http://www.strayshop.nl/hds-pooltafel-h-7-ft-28-mm-mdf-en-ball-return-p-2287.html

Translation:

Heavy construction with a good quality cloth and 28mm MDF!

* Now with double glued MDF surface (28mm)
* Internal ball return system
* Independently adjustable legs
* Chrome accent finish
* With trestle construction
* Good quality of cloth and rubber rails.
* Warranty: 1 year

The second table is with about the same specs, MDF with PVC table:

http://www.strayshop.nl/topshot-pooltafel-poolbiljart-break-7-ft-met-ball-return-p-2785.html

I'm guessing that if the warranty is only 1 year, it might break down soon after that. Also, does humidity affect these kind of tables much?

Before you flame me for my stupidity /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif keep in mind that i'm only looking at buying a table because my pool club is a 30 mins drive from here, so it takes me an hour just getting there and back (difficult with a daytime job), and i would like to start practising every day to really improve my game. I'm up in the attic of my parents' house so i've got to keep the table weight as low as possible. Patience is not one of my strong points (i want a table NOW dammit! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif ), i'll probably move out within the next couple of years, sell this table and buy a proper one.

bsmutz
01-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Sounds like a plan. Just don't get your expectations up very high. There's a guy over in Europe somewhere (don't remember where off the top of my head) who has learned to do some pretty amazing tricks using just such a table. It sounds like you know what you are getting into. You'll soon learn that any table is better than no table. Sounds like a good compromise for a year or so.

mantis
01-20-2007, 11:08 AM
That is too much to spend on a table like that. If you need to keep the weight down, than slate will be difficult topull off. In your situation, you may be better served to just go and buy one of the MDF tables that Walmart, sports authority or Kmart sell. They are generally between $180 and $200. I had one as a first table. They are not perfect, but neither would the above listed tables be. I would do this and save the other money for a better table when you move out.

idfliers
01-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Why not, but check the papers for a used one. maybe save a little $$. I just picked up an old Bruswick Granada 8ft for my daughter this morning for $100. Yeah, mdf top and marginal cloth. But hey, she;s moving from an apartment into a house with a full basement and wanted her own table.

My son and I set it in my shop until she's ready to move in, and we just played a game of 9 ball and had a blast with it. The balls are so yellowed, that no kidding, the 2 ball was the color of a 6 ball. took them over to my buffer and buffed spots of original color on a couple, now they really look funny! Good thing I just bought myself a new set of Aramith pro's so she can have our old set!

So in answer, yes, there is a place and time for a cheap table, and they can still be tons of fun to play on!

Get one and drive your folks nuts with the sounds of clacking pool balls! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bradb
01-20-2007, 01:48 PM
If you get that cheap table you will be very frustrated after a while. Every time you bump up against it the balls will move. It will be like having a table on a boat! It will be impossible to maintain any balance and balls will tend to drift away on slow rolls. You can play what is a simblance of a game but you will find its just not pool. it is better than nothing but not much.

whipy
01-21-2007, 05:33 AM
thanks everyone for all your opinions. they've really helped me alot in my decision. I'm going to check the papers although people here tend to use online ads alot more these days. Normal I guess, because they're free and look a lot fancier. I just want a table so bad... if i don't find one i like i can still go for one of the two listed above. glad you can all relate to my frustration /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bradb
01-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Hey whipy, I went back and reread my message and I think i was a bit too glomy there. One good thing about any table, cheap or not, is you can practice your stroking. As I think back when I had my first low end table (Dufferin) I made a tremendous improvement on my game. I wrote this on a chalk board:
Head down - straight back - hold - straight through!
I practiced that for hours, with out my own table (junk that it was) I never could have had that much prctice time. Best of luck. Brad

mantis
01-21-2007, 09:25 PM
I agree with bradb's last post. Like I said, I had a cheap MDF table. It was difficult to keep perfectly level, but I was still able to play a reasonable game of pool, and I was certainly able to work on my stroke, ball pocketing, and english. I just would not spend a lot on one.

jjinfla
01-22-2007, 06:38 AM
200 pound weight?

Does it have any slate at all? Just particle board?

Sounds like a table Minnesota Fats was selling a long time ago.

Anyway, if you can shoot good on a lousy table just think how great you will be able to shoot on a great table.

Shaft
01-22-2007, 07:29 AM
We need new bed materials. Heavier and more stable than MDF, but lighter and cheaper than slate. Cast aluminum? Corian? (I don't know if Corian is lighter OR cheaper.)
I think there is a market for a minimalistic but good-playing table.

Isshi
01-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Oh, Lordy. It'll never work, IMHO.

quote: 'I'm up in the attic of my parents' house...'

Maybe in the basement you could get by with the thump clack
go-choon garagara garagara click click all day and all night
long, but in the attic, the whole house will be SMACK clack rattle
rattle and you AND that cheap table will be out on the sidewalk in
hours not days. Even if you practice with just one ball doing
kick shots and speed drills it'll be THUMP THump thump and
then THUMP THump thump and your folks won't stand for
that either.

My advice: spend that money on Accustats tapes, and watch
with the headphones on while drawing notes on a paper pad.
Keep your mind on angles, patterns, and plays, and your
parents happy to have you.

Best regards, Isshi.

whipy
01-22-2007, 03:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Isshi:</font><hr> Oh, Lordy. It'll never work, IMHO.

quote: 'I'm up in the attic of my parents' house...'

Maybe in the basement you could get by with the thump clack
go-choon garagara garagara click click all day and all night
long, but in the attic, the whole house will be SMACK clack rattle
rattle and you AND that cheap table will be out on the sidewalk in
hours not days. Even if you practice with just one ball doing
kick shots and speed drills it'll be THUMP THump thump and
then THUMP THump thump and your folks won't stand for
that either.

My advice: spend that money on Accustats tapes, and watch
with the headphones on while drawing notes on a paper pad.
Keep your mind on angles, patterns, and plays, and your
parents happy to have you.

Best regards, Isshi. <hr /></blockquote>

actually my mother teaches evening classes so she's gone till 10pm. my father is usually downstairs reading or watching tv till 11 or 12. so i'm guessing it won't bother them, because it's not like i'm planning on getting up in the middle of the night and start hitting balls. if i can practice about 1 to 2 hours a day after i get home from work, that would be enough. i can play at the club the other days.

to the others: i've been looking at cheaper tables but the cheapest 7 footer i could find is the one above at 500 dollars. i *could* get a 6 footer for about 250 but that's just not worth it imo, i want to go for a 7' minimum. anyhoo, i'll keep looking.

mantis
01-22-2007, 09:27 PM
I know that walmart sells a 7' table for about $300. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5172015 I have seen them for about $200 also.

whipy
01-23-2007, 02:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> I know that walmart sells a 7' table for about $300. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5172015 I have seen them for about $200 also. <hr /></blockquote>

Problem is, i live in Belgium. Can't have a table sent over from the US, that would cost me several of my internal organs.

bradb
01-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi again, get the table you want and can afford, get a heavy carpet remnant to go under it if you can to kill the noise, and happy practice. Brad

FatsRedux
01-23-2007, 05:30 PM
For about the same price you could buy a used bar table in good condition.

Fats

whipy
01-24-2007, 02:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote FatsRedux:</font><hr> For about the same price you could buy a used bar table in good condition.

Fats <hr /></blockquote>

bar tables over here are quite heavy, they have ball return systems and easily weigh over 500 pounds. I'm trying to limit myself to 300, since the table has to go up in the attic.