PDA

View Full Version : ball weight?

bubbachuck
01-20-2007, 09:56 PM
i was playing on a friends table and everytime i broke or hit the balls hard they would jump a little and my cue was pretty level.. he got some good quality balls and i was wondering if it was maybe the weight of the balls or possibly the table... not sure though

sygfrid
01-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Form what I've noticed, some balls are heavier than the others (Aramith Pro Cups are heavier than the Aramith Premiers). What does your friend have?

Sometimes strong shots, depending on the momentum {mass x velocity} of the cue ball, can make the ball jump a little (ex. during breaks)

bradb
01-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Actually the cue should be angled down slightly to the table, in fact your follow through should actually cause your tip to just graze the surface. (see Mike Sigels video on follow through) I don't know if thats what caused the cue to bounce but it could be and you just noticed it more on the different table.

Bob_Jewett
01-22-2007, 06:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bubbachuck:</font><hr> i was playing on a friends table and everytime i broke or hit the balls hard they would jump a little and my cue was pretty level.. he got some good quality balls and i was wondering if it was maybe the weight of the balls or possibly the table... not sure though <hr /></blockquote>
Some cloth jumps more than others. Some of it comes with a rubber backing (really) and it is much easier to jump on than fast, thin cloth like Simonis. Beyond that, the cue ball jump some on nearly all shots as mentioned above.