PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ? Should be good for a laugh

TheBlackPearl
01-20-2007, 11:51 PM
I just started playing. I'm taking a class thru the local community college. Its like 2 hours a week with very little instuction but at least I get a chance to play. I'm really enjoying it so of course I want to get better. Toward that end I decided to buy my own cue. I went to the local mall and checked the sporting goods store and Sears. After trying about a dozen different models I found that I liked a Mizerak graphite two piece the best. Yeah, I know, many around here think that I'd be better off with a broom stick but I like the way it feels. It just slides thru my fingers better than the wooden ones. I hope the moderator doesn't ban me for saying that. Anyway I'm thinking that if I decide down the road that I'm better off with a wooden cue I'll just put a hard tip on that graphite and use it for a breaking cue. I haven't bought a case yet and I'm wondering about the ones I've seen on ebay. I was thinking about getting one with room for 2 cues but I've also read about jump cues. If I get one of those I'll need room in the case for 3 cues. And what's the deal with all the shaft slots in those cases? Is it like buying a suit where you get one jacket and two pair of pants? Do people use different shafts for differnt reasons or is one like a spare in case the tip comes off the other? I'm trying to think ahead and buy the right case so I don't end up having to replace it. I'd much appreciate any advice anyone cares to give me on this. Thanks!

DeadCrab
01-21-2007, 05:54 AM
Actually, I think a graphite cue (especially with a screw-on tip) is an excellent choice for a first cue. Here is why:

- they do slide better
- relatively indestructible (a little rain is OK)
- nice and straight
- cheap screw on tips allow you to practice tip shaping and scuffing. If you screw up, screw-on a new tip for about a buck.
- when you decide to buy a better cue that has some "feel" to it, the old graphite cue with a screw-on makes an excellent first break cue. They hit like a brick.

I bought a Sportcraft graphite at Wal-Mart as my first cue. After playing for about a month, I got a Player's sneaky Pete that plays much better, but I still use the graphite as a break cue. You will really notice the change in feel when you get a better cue with a softer tip.

whipy
01-21-2007, 06:33 AM
get a case that holds 2 cues and buy yourself a break/jump cue. 2 cues in 1 /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif you can find a fairly decent cue like that starting at $99. I use a Fury break/jump myself, you can't beat the quality at that price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FURY-JUMP-BREAK-POOL-CUE-SLEGEHAMMER-POWER_W0QQitemZ160074594136QQihZ006QQcategoryZ9509 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

use it as a break cue, and when you screw off the butt you can use it as a jump cue.

Fran Crimi
01-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Well it's just like any sport. There are Wilson golf clubs and then there are Calloway golf clubs. Same with bowling balls and same with tennis rackets. Up to a certain point, you do get what you pay for.

Steve Mizerak was a very smart guy. He knew that he would make the most money by marketing to the masses rather than to the pool players.

You have to decide for yourself what you want and how far you want to take your game. No, you don't have to buy yourself a $600 pool cue this early in the game, but if you would like to get good at the game, I think a couple hundred invested in a decent cue would be a good investment. As for all those compartments in the case, don't worry, as you continue to play, you'll fill them up. Give it time.

Good luck with your game.

Fran

Scott Lee
01-21-2007, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadCrab:</font><hr>
Actually, I think a graphite cue (especially with a screw-on tip) is an excellent choice for a first cue. <hr /></blockquote>

This is very poor advice. Screw-on tips provide no feedback from the cue, and are a poor substitute for a leather tip that is glued on. You can purchase an inexpensive cue, but make sure the tip is decent (if not, you can have it cut off and replaced). Lepro tips are good quality, very inexpensive ($1-$2 at retail), and can be put on any cue, either by yourself, or by someone else, for about $5-$10.

Scott Lee

DeadCrab
01-21-2007, 11:22 AM
This is very poor advice. Screw-on tips provide no feedback from the cue
Not to be a wise-guy, but is feedback important when breaking?

I'm now using a LePro tip, and the only feedback it gives me on the breakshot is "too mushy". Like I said in my original post, you need a good tip for any feel shots, but for pure breaking impact, the screw-on gives a hard hit when one is needed. I paid like $30 bucks for my graphite, so spending $15 for a replacement tip is sort of disproportionate.

Having said that, Sears sells the Mizerak cue for about $60. For just a little more, a Players graphite or SP can be had, with a LePro tip, and would likely be money better spent.

Rich R.
01-21-2007, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadCrab:</font><hr> ***********************
This is very poor advice. Screw-on tips provide no feedback from the cue
Not to be a wise-guy, but is feedback important when breaking?

<font color="red">Feedback is important on any shot. If you don't have a cue that is giving you some feedback, you are missing out. </font color>

I'm now using a LePro tip, and the only feedback it gives me on the breakshot is "too mushy".

<font color="red"> LePro tips are very inconsistent. They range from mushy to hard. In general, they are a good tip, if you find the hardness level you are looking for. </font color>

Like I said in my original post, you need a good tip for any feel shots, but for pure breaking impact, the screw-on gives a hard hit when one is needed. I paid like $30 bucks for my graphite, so spending $15 for a replacement tip is sort of disproportionate.
<font color="red">Cues with screw on tips are, in general, very low level cues and I highly recommend that they be avoided. There are plenty of low priced cues, of much better quality. </font color>

Having said that, Sears sells the Mizerak cue for about $60. For just a little more, a Players graphite or SP can be had, with a LePro tip, and would likely be money better spent.
<font color="red">Isn't this exactly what Scott recommended, buying another inexpensive cue, with a good tip, instead of a screw off tip?
I would recommend the players wooden SP cue, and not the graphite.
JMHO.</font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

DeadCrab
01-21-2007, 12:30 PM
OK, I retract it all.

Buy a Predator and a box of talcum powder. Break with a house cue.

bradb
01-21-2007, 01:20 PM
I'd thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I can't remember very many players happy with a graphite cue. The material seems to build up hand sweat and becomes difficult to keep from sticking or grabbing when stroking against the hand. Usually they get tired of constantly rubbing it with a towel and go back to a wooden cue.

Rich R.
01-21-2007, 04:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadCrab:</font><hr> Buy a Predator and a box of talcum powder. Break with a house cue. <hr /></blockquote>
I wouldn't recommend this either. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

DeadCrab
01-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Quote DeadCrab: Buy a Predator and a box of talcum powder. Break with a house cue.

I wouldn't recommend this either.

Rich R.

Hopefully it was clear that I was kidding.

Really, for someone who has been playing for a couple of weeks, I think something straight and durable is good enough, and probably better than using a house cue.

In the supercheap range under $35 I think the graphites are OK. My cheapie IS better than the house cues where I play.

When it comes time to make draw shots, something better is needed like the SP's in the $75 to $125 range. When advanced enough to use english, another cue upgrade should be considered.

I also happen to think that a person's first car should be a beater, not a beamer. So, my comments can be viewed in this context.

Rich R.
01-21-2007, 09:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadCrab:</font><hr>Hopefully it was clear that I was kidding.

<font color="red">DeadCrab, I knew you were kidding and I thought I was equally light hearted in my response.
Maybe I missed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif </font color>

Really, for someone who has been playing for a couple of weeks, I think something straight and durable is good enough, and probably better than using a house cue.

In the supercheap range under $35 I think the graphites are OK. My cheapie IS better than the house cues where I play.

<font color="red">Obviously, I don't know where you play, but i have to say, most house cues are better than any cue you would buy at Sears, with a screw on tip. JMHO. </font color>

When it comes time to make draw shots, something better is needed like the SP's in the $75 to $125 range. When advanced enough to use english, another cue upgrade should be considered.

<font color="red">When it comes to making draw shots, it takes a good stroke, with a proper hit on the cue ball. I can take almost any house cue and draw the length of the table. What more do you need? </font color>

I also happen to think that a person's first car should be a beater, not a beamer. So, my comments can be viewed in this context.

<font color="red">IMHO, anyone can use house cues until they decide that they really want to learn how to play this game. At that point, there are many good quality, inexpensive, cues in the $100 to $300 range for their first cue. After that, the sky is the limit.
BTW, I drive a beemer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

TheBlackPearl
01-21-2007, 11:52 PM
I played with this cue for the first time today. I haven't wanted to take it out yet because I don't have a case for it. Just the plastic bag from the sporting goods store. But there's a bar about a block from my house that offers free pool all day Sunday. I played about 5 games with someone who was obviously much better than I am. Strangely enough I almost held my own with him. Yeah, he cut me a lot of slack and I got real lucky on some shots. I would almost claim that I beat him a few times if not for the breaks and the tips he kept giving me. Anyway it felt good to have a cue of my own to use. For a $40 cue I think this will do for now. I played with a house cue for class the other day and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Then I remembered later thinking that the tip didn't look too good on it when I picked it up. At least with this one I know what I've got. As for a case I'll get a hard single to carry this in and when I get a better cue (I'm thinking maybe an entry level $250 Shurtz Custom) I can still use the same case or maybe buy a 3 x 6 and start building up my arsenal. BTW its not a screw on tip so it should make a decent breaking cue. Does that make sense?

TheBlackPearl
01-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Good heavens. I think I see why you guys don't like graphite. I went back and played a few more games tonight. After a couple of hours the stick got to where it wouldn't slide at all. It just seemed gummed up and sticky. I wonder if there's some kind of cleaning product that will keep this from happening. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Stretch
01-22-2007, 05:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TheBlackPearl:</font><hr> Good heavens. I think I see why you guys don't like graphite. I went back and played a few more games tonight. After a couple of hours the stick got to where it wouldn't slide at all. It just seemed gummed up and sticky. I wonder if there's some kind of cleaning product that will keep this from happening. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Add a glove to your arsonal. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.

Snapshot9
01-22-2007, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TheBlackPearl:</font><hr> I played with this cue for the first time today. I haven't wanted to take it out yet because I don't have a case for it. Just the plastic bag from the sporting goods store. But there's a bar about a block from my house that offers free pool all day Sunday. I played about 5 games with someone who was obviously much better than I am. Strangely enough I almost held my own with him. Yeah, he cut me a lot of slack and I got real lucky on some shots. I would almost claim that I beat him a few times if not for the breaks and the tips he kept giving me. Anyway it felt good to have a cue of my own to use. For a $40 cue I think this will do for now. I played with a house cue for class the other day and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Then I remembered later thinking that the tip didn't look too good on it when I picked it up. At least with this one I know what I've got. As for a case I'll get a hard single to carry this in and when I get a better cue (I'm thinking maybe an entry level $250 Shurtz Custom) I can still use the same case or maybe buy a 3 x 6 and start building up my arsenal. BTW its not a screw on tip so it should make a decent breaking cue. Does that make sense? <hr /></blockquote>

The entry custom from Shurtz is a good choice, Bob Owen is my cuemaker, and his cues play good. For a case, I have the first one on this page, a 3 x 5 Action Nexus, and I really like it, very affordable, lots of niceties including spring loaded butts, real good handle, nice shoulder strap, jump cue butt pocket, etc.. Tubes, handles up to 35" shafts, either way to go in. Any of the first 3 is a good buy.
Action Nexus case 3 x 5 (http://www.pooldawg.com/brand/action/pool-cue-cases/5)

Ralph S.
01-22-2007, 12:03 PM
After reading all the posts in this thread, I would like to weigh in with my opinion{s}. First, the graphite cue is not the way to go. Both Rich and Scott are correct in reguards to a wood cue AND an actual leather tip. There are no benefits at all with a screw in tip. Many times, you will need to check and tighten screw-in tips as they do come loose from shot to shot. As has been stated, a hundred or less can get you a very solid entry level two piece wood cue.

dave666
07-31-2007, 02:04 PM
I RUN A POOLROOM (DAVES GOODTIME BILLIARDS) AND I KNOW A GUY WHO CANT USE A WOOD STICK BECAUSE HE CANT GET USED TO THE DEFLECTION IT HAS. BUT I BELIEVE AFTER SOME ONE USES WOOD FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS THEY WILL NEVER GO BACK TO GRAFITE,RESIN,TITANIUM OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. AS FOR ALL THOSE STICKS.... I CARRY MY CHESTER KRICK TWO SHAFTS (ONE FOR SHOOTING WITH AND ONE IN CASE I BREAK THE OTHER ......WELL I DO KNOW PEOPLE LIKE THAT. BUT I CARRY MY AUDRIK TO SHOOT WITH ONE SHAFT, I HAVE MY CHESTER KRICK WITH ONE SHAFT ,(JUST IN CASE I NEED TO GO BACK TO SOMETHING IVE PLAYED WITH FOR A LONG TIME AND IM COMFORTABLE WITH IT WHEN I FEEL PRESSURE. I CARRY A JUMP BREAK PLAYERS WITH A PHENALIC TIP AND SUPRISINGLY I LIKE THAT STICK ALOT. IT JUMPS ALOT BETTER THAN A LUCASI THAT EVERYONE SEEMS TO LIKE. THATS 3 BUTTS &amp; 3 SHAFTS I THINK THATS ALL YOU SHOULD NEED

Sig
07-31-2007, 03:30 PM
You should have found a middle-ground between the graphite and the $250 custom. You can get a nice Viking or McDermott for $120.

okinawa77
07-31-2007, 03:33 PM
Dave666,
FYI: I just heard, but not confirmed, that Chester Krick recently passed away. Take care of your CK cue because you might not be able to get another.

okinawa77
07-31-2007, 03:36 PM
Sig made a good recommendation for TheBlackPearl. The McDermott cues have FREE lifetime warranty and maintenance.

canadan
08-01-2007, 08:50 AM
I was at the league office paying for a mid canada tourny. I was shocked at the nice cues they had for $60. I cant remember the name of them but I just saw the nice inlays and said to myself "what kinda cue????" as I got closer I see a big 6 thinking its a $600 cue from about 5' away as I got closer I seen it was $60. but very nice look didnt look painted, it looked like inlays but I got called into the office as I was about to take a closer look. But from the 15-30 secs I walked over to it and looked at it quickly I would take it over a Players and that half the cost of a players too...

If you are going to get cheap wood cue do it... you will learn about caring for it before you do shell out $600 or up on a cue. Which i guess 90% of the people on the board have. As for a case you can get a hard case that holds 1 cue for really cheap. I see some pool sites will give you a free case when buying a cue. Also GOTO A BILLIARD SUPPLY SHOP not the mall if you do get another one NOT IN THE MALL. Look for a small family owned shop they are always looking to haggle to get a sale. When I got my last Predator I got over $70 worth of stuff thrown in.(towle, chauker,joint protectors, and 20%off). So I'd say you can get a nice cue and case for around $100 just look around if you realy want to learn the game...

Kildegirl
08-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Post deleted by ccboard_admin

Snapshot9
08-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Okay, if you want middle ground, here is the perfect starter kit for you:
Billiard Warehouse Special (http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/special.htm)

For $69, you get a decent Sneaky Pete, and they are decent, nice looking, a hard case and FREE SHIPPING.

Can't beat that for the price!