PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm going cockeyed

TheBlackPearl
01-22-2007, 07:18 PM
As you may know from my few other posts I'm just starting out and every day is a learning experience for me. It reminds me of when I was learning to play guitar. If I could have kept up the learning curve I experienced the first 6 months over the entire time I've been playing I'd be giving Jimi and Stevie a run for their money, lol. But I digress...

I tried something new today. I read a post here somewhere that was talking about how the eyes focus. I tried the experiment it mentioned where you point at a spot on the wall with one eye closed. Then you close the other eye and open the closed one and you notice that you seem to be pointing somewhere a little differently. Then with both eyes open you find out that you get a combined perspective that's different yet. Which all means that where you think you're aiming may not be where you really are aiming.

The first thing I noticed was that my left eye is dominant. Its pretty close to where I see my finger pointing with both eyes open. My right eye alone seems to be about 3 degrees to the right of when I open both.

And I realized that with both eyes open there's kind of a blurred periphreal distortion. Like if you hold a finger pointed up and close to your nose it kind of seems invisable because the eyes focus beyond the finger.

Then I thought of something. The reason the right eye focuses a few degrees to the RIGHT of the left is because its on the right side of my nose. If one eye were on top of the other like it is when I turn my head sideways then instead of the visual distortion throwing me off to the side it would throw me off either directly in front of or in back of the spot where I am aiming. Well if I hit the cb so that it rolls directly in front or in back of the spot I am aiming for I'm still going to hit that exact spot because that's the path the ball will take. A little experimentation at the table showed that, yes, if I turn my head sideways so my left eye is above rather than beside the right one my aim improves dramatically.

Have any of you ever tried this or heard of anyone playing this way? Will this cause me any problems in the long run besides maybe a sore neck? Will people think I'm weird? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ace
01-22-2007, 10:28 PM
You should just turn the table up on its side. That way you could leave your head and eyes level. Now aim and shoot the balls! lol

Snapshot9
01-23-2007, 07:25 AM
How long since you've had your eyes checked? I was having a smiliar type problem when I was on temporary contact lenses for about 6 weeks, and when I got my final pair, I no longer have the problem. When I had hard contacts before most of my life, I was mono-visioned, but with the new soft ones, what ended working best for playing Pool was both distance visioned.

It is also possible you could have a little astigmatism on the front or back of your right eye.

TheBlackPearl
01-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Snapshot I am due for an eye exam. I wear glasses but only to drive. I've been told I have astigmatism but I never really knew what that meant. As for turning the table on its side hardy har har. Everyone knows playing like that could warp the slate. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif