PDA

View Full Version : Strickland's bad temper and whining at Cardiff

Harold Acosta
07-20-2002, 07:30 PM
<font color=black> [b] Earl "Whiny Pearl" Strickland seems to hate foreigners since he is always badmouthing non-american players. <font color=red> I wish someone could beat the crap out of him on one of his outbursts. <font color=black>To add to this incident, he was whining because he gets no respect from the fans.

I once admired Strickland's play at the table but now he has been "stricken" out of my Golden Book...

Read what happened below:

<font color=blue> An incident occurred when Strickland was trailing 3 - 2 and had Takahashi in a snooker. The 1998 Champion went to get his jump cue out when Strickland, who is known for his detestation of that particular implement, starting talking to him and said, according to referee Nigel Rees, 'Be a man.'

Takahashi, then returned his jump cue to the case and attepted to extract himself from the snooker by going off the rails. He failed and Earl's ball-in-hand enabled him to clear.

Between racks Earl was involved in some exchanges with members of the audience which appeared to be ill-tempered.

In fairness to Strickland, his play was of the highest quality as the cleared the racks away with precision and ease and the game ball was delicious 5 / 9 combination across the table which drew the applause he it deserved.

After the match Earl didn't hold back, "I changed my shaft last night and it's now a lot more comfortable, I'm a different player.

"People don't respect me. When Efren Reyes plays in America the crowd applaud him and never heckle him, yet one of his countrymen told me to shut up.

"Now, when I'm playing, only the referee can tell me to shut up. Maybe the crowd have been drinking too much but foreign players in the USA are shown respect and I know I'm a rebel but I don't deserve that.

"I know that in the semi-final Yang will break from the side because he breaks well from the side. But I want a shot clock put on Okumura - he plays like the slowest guy in the world - he takes three hours to watch 60 Minutes - and he'll try to take me out but if I run up eight racks in a row there's nothing he can do.

On Takahashi's jump shot: "I did the first jump shot on TV, in 1983, but I unchained a monster. I never knew then they'd bring in all sorts of cues. I think it's disrespectful to use those rubber tipped cues, a guy like Reyes can do a great snooker and someone just jumps out of it."

<font color=black> Info obtained from the AZ Billiards Website.

Voodoo Daddy
07-20-2002, 07:39 PM
I like Earl...his drive is unmatched and his patriotism runs as deep as his talent. Talk is cheap for most, Earl backs his up with his cue. Strike him from your book Harold, He is in mine for life...just my opinion

Tom_In_Cincy
07-20-2002, 07:44 PM
cue butt,, tapping the floor.. VooDoo.. I agree...

Harold Acosta
07-20-2002, 08:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> I like Earl...his drive is unmatched and his patriotism runs as deep as his talent. Talk is cheap for most, Earl backs his up with his cue. Strike him from your book Harold, He is in mine for life...just my opinion <hr></blockquote>

Earl's behaviour was uncalled for and someday he will face his true match. I will definitely like to see his face thump on the ground. Patriotism doesn't give him the right to make such remarks about another player, specially since it was also a sharking technique. So if he has to shark players, then where is his talent? It just seems that he always has something to say about the talent of foreign players.

By the way, I'm an American, just like Earl and many on this board but I have to say it as it is. Another sad day for the sport...and it had to be Strickland again!

Someone should definitely shove a cue down his throat!

Cueless Joey
07-20-2002, 08:13 PM
Earl's so patriotic, he plays with an imported cue.
I wonder how Earl would react if somebody told him to ACT like a man?
Earl's great line to the people cheering for Efren at the Bicycle Club back in '94 still echoes around here. "Why are you cheering for him, I'm the white guy?"

cuechick
07-20-2002, 08:15 PM
"he takes 3 hours to watch 60 mintutes"
That's pretty damn funny, I think Earl's a hoot...and he did wear a pink ribbon yesterday to honor Busta's loss...
I kind of hope the old guy pulls it off!

Voodoo Daddy
07-20-2002, 08:19 PM
As normal, I respect your opinion Harold and your intitled to it. It doesnt matter to me where you live or if your american or not. What matters is that you would like to see harm done to another because he whines and cry. I guess you hate Michael Jordan, John McEnroe and Dan Marino. All masters at their craft but when it wasnt exactly the way they wanted it to be...they whined and cried with the best of them, and I know I'm not the only one who saw these champions act like that. Not everyone is as reserved and focused as Efren, Walter Payton or Roger Maris...

Tom_In_Cincy
07-20-2002, 08:25 PM
Harold..
Being a super star in any sport does not mean you are a "Champion".

Its easy to critisize someone else's behavior, what is difficult is to do it with grace and manners.

What Earl Strickland is, is a "Champion", and that desevers some respect. If you don't like the man, why do you waste time acknowledging these petty issues.

Right now the worst he can do is finish 2nd in the World Championships. If he finishes 1st then he will have won major titles in 3 decades and will surely be in the BCA Hall of Fame next year..

And what have you done for pool lately?

nmshooter
07-20-2002, 08:27 PM
Which part was uncalled for? His comment over the jump cue or him having heated exchanges with the fans? I think the hecklers are as much to blame as he is. He has been heckled from day 1 and I dont think that is appropriate either. There have been other players there this week who have had just as much controversy and used just as many sharking tactics, but I think Earl gets singled out more than anyone else. I think if people would leave him alone maybe half this stuff wouldnt happen.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-20-2002, 08:30 PM
Welcome to the board "nmshooter" and your first post is a very good one. I like your style.

Looking forward to your contributions.

nmshooter
07-20-2002, 08:36 PM
Thanks, actually I have posted quite a few times with my nmshooter name, but I just registered so now im official I guess. Too late to turn back now.....

Troy
07-20-2002, 09:19 PM
I am as much an American as anyone, but that has NOTHING whatsoever to do with this subject. "Rocket" has demonstrated again and again that he is a RACIST and to me THAT is Un-American. ("Why are you cheering for him, I'm the white guy.")

I don't care how good Earl "Rocket" Strickland is/was, he should NEVER make it into the Hall of Fame due to his total lack of sportmanship and total lack of respect for the game and his worthy opponents. Entry into the HOF should have some meaning beside how big a jerk a person can become even while demonstrating exceptional skill.

To paraphrase Voodoo -- Do Not Mistake Good Sportmanship for Weakness.

Troy..~~~ Refers to him as "Rocket" because he "goes off".

07-20-2002, 09:32 PM
Vodoo Daddy said it best man. All sports has its share of talented rudeboys, assholes, whiners whatever. I don't care all I know is Earl is hilarious. He may be emotionally challenged and could use some P.R. classes but he is hilarious. One thing I remember about McEnroe he was seriously emoitionally challenged but he was a tennis genious. Did wonders for the sport. Our sport has some P.R. problems and a lot of us want the image cleaned up so it can be put on the scale of a golf or something like that. So when Earl pops off it gets these well intentioned individuals upset rightfully. We all started in the bar some of us can't get it out of us and besides, the man is hilarious.

Cueless Joey
07-20-2002, 09:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kahn:</font><hr> Vodoo Daddy said it best man. All sports has its share of talented rudeboys, assholes, whiners whatever. I don't care all I know is Earl is hilarious. He may be emotionally challenged and could use some P.R. classes but he is hilarious. One thing I remember about McEnroe he was seriously emoitionally challenged but he was a tennis genious. Did wonders for the sport. Our sport has some P.R. problems and a lot of us want the image cleaned up so it can be put on the scale of a golf or something like that. So when Earl pops off it gets these well intentioned individuals upset rightfully. We all started in the bar some of us can't get it out of us and besides, the man is hilarious. <hr></blockquote>......
Great, Earl is a talented and funny bigotted jerk.
John M. did wonders for tennis? They couldn't wait to get rid of him. Bjorn Borg, there was the genius and is remembered for being one classy gentleman. John Mc was the nightmare tennis was happy to wake up from when Ivan Lendl retired him.
Earl says he's misunderstood. That he's really a nice guy. Then he goes on to beg to defend himself against a Japanese player running racks on him. I guess a Japanese player is not supposed to run racks on him, only the white players?
Only in pool can a player like Earl get away this kind of behavior. Ty Cobb is just a bad memory. Earl lives today.

Voodoo Daddy
07-20-2002, 10:17 PM
Gimme a break dude, Borg was a personality-less trog. He was well liked as was Lendl...both overly talented but neither had the draw power of Johnny Mac. To this day you can hear stories of Johnny Mac and when you say Ivan or Bjorn...people say "oh yeah, I rememeber them". The other "bad boy" of tennis...a great draw named Ille Nastasi {sp}...a true whiner if there ever was one. As far as racial comments, they have no place in our society but we all use them and those who say they dont are liars. I have'nt been around Earl enough to hear that kind of slur...not saying he never said that but I never heard it.

Voodoo Daddy
07-20-2002, 10:27 PM
Joey, we dont have to agree. At least you dont wanna see the crap beat outta him or shove a cue down his throat...how brutal is that? HAHAHAHAHA , no blood, no foul.

Cueless Joey
07-20-2002, 10:35 PM
Voo,
If you played against Earl, you might just whack him with your stick. When he starts motoring with his mouth when it's your inning, let's see how you feel.

07-20-2002, 10:38 PM
Seems like it's ok for him to make racial slurs and act like a jerk because he's "good for the sport" in the eyes of this board. I'm disgusted by how people regard his racism as being "hilarious." Seem real quick to defend him.

07-20-2002, 11:09 PM
the best way to shut up somebody is to beat them at their own game. Earl's quite something, if he cant beat you with his game, he'll beat you with his mouth. There's not a handful of players who can beat him on one or the other.

Jay M
07-20-2002, 11:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Voo,
If you played against Earl, you might just whack him with your stick. When he starts motoring with his mouth when it's your inning, let's see how you feel. <hr></blockquote>

I've played against Earl recently. We had a good match (he won it 9-5) we had a running conversation going the entire match with the only pauses being when the other person was obviously thinking about a tough shot or when they were down on the ball. Not once did Earl talk while I was shooting and I never had to say a word to him. I didn't feel like whacking him with my cue, I felt like whacking the guy that was heckling him the whole time on Sunday with my cue. I also wish I knew who keyed his car, that's someone that deserves to feel a cue...

On the issue of jumping, I prefer to jump with my playing cue and executed a jump shot with it against Earl. I missed the shot by a very small margin and Earl said "nice try, and you even did it legally". Does that sound unsportsmanlike to you? Overall, I was impressed with the way he carried himself and the length of time that he went without a problem in the face of someone that was obviously trying to force an explosion. I would have exploded LONG before he did, and I'm a fairly relaxed person.

Respect his personality or not, you HAVE to respect the titles that he's accrued over the years. He will be in the HOF, it's just a matter of when.

Jay M

Cueless Joey
07-21-2002, 12:04 AM
Jay nobody disses Earl's game. It's his behavior that is hated by many.
How would you feel if he stood up on your shot and asked you, "You're going to pocket the ball in that pocket?"
He did to Efren in Hong Kong.
How about the time he asked Efren to break like a "man"?
You can also watch the video of Rempe and Efren playing straight pool in Portland, Maine. Earl is heard screaming to the top of his voice at the referee.
I wonder what would happen if everyone acted like Earl.
If everyone acted like Efren or Ortmann or Mika or Varner, pool would surely be more pleasant to watch.

nAz
07-21-2002, 01:13 AM
I dont know the man personally but thats him and if POOL fans dont like him tune out! the only people that should whine about his antics should be the people that he is playing against.
besides its part of the game sharking at all levels always has always will. anyways thats just my who give a f_uck opinion

Doomsday Machine
07-21-2002, 03:59 AM
Earl brings alot of this on himself. I have seen him in person many times and he always comes into the match with a chip on his shoulder, just waiting for someone in the crowd to say something (Jimmy Reid used to be as bad as Earl but at least Jimmy has "cleaned up his act" recently). I guess this is Earl's way of self-motivation. He is a talented player but his actions and comments now and in the past brings a new meaning to the phrase "ugly American". I just hope Bustamante beats the crap out of him in the finals and runs 10 and out on him. I would just love to see Earl's facial reaction to that !! Maybe with the TV coverage in the U.S. being the way it is for men's pool we will get to see the coverage on ESPN2 around April, 2003.

Since Bustamante has experienced Earl's antics often enough in the past, I don't think that anything Earl would say or do would effect Bustamante's current focus and his added incentive to win this tournament for his recently deceased child. Further, they have probably warned Earl that if he is disqualified for misbehaving in the finals that he would not only lose the match, but would also lose the prize money for 2nd place. Earl may be nuts sometimes, but I don't think he will p-ss away $30,000 by any outbursts of his infamous anger during the finals.

07-21-2002, 05:22 AM
Personally, I enjoy watching Earl play more than any other player.
He is loaded with excitement! I bet most people feel the way. I enjoyed
watching McEnroe, Marshall Hollman in Bowling, Muhammad Ali for
the same reason. I like to see an occasional brawl in a baseball game
and occasional heated exchanges of words, etc. in sports. I KNOW I'm
not the only one who likes stuff like that!! I remember watching Steve Davis
play some snooker matches years ago and it was soooooooo boring
watching such emotionless playing. I'm sure billiard purists disagree
but I'll pull up a chair to watch Earl (antics and all) anytime.

Rich

bucktoothbandit
07-21-2002, 05:54 AM
i have been knowing Earl since he was 14 yrs old and he has always played with a little flair and spirit. he is a lot more fun to watch than someone who plays like a corporate robot. he has passion for the game and stands up for what he believes in. 90% of his matches when he woofs at the crowd is because some drunk heckler wants to show off in front of the railbirds. i talk to him frequently and the only reason he does talk to the crowd is because they get him fired up so he can drill his opponents. so all you wannabees who like to see him lose, I have but one thing to say to you. Hike up your skirt Sally and play him some!!!! Go Earl the Pearl USA USA USA USA

cheesemouse
07-21-2002, 06:18 AM
I hope Earl's advisors have warned him of the sticky situation this finals has presented. The crowds sympathys will surely be with Busto and Earl could do himself some real good by just putting up his best game and forget about jumping up and down on the thin ice. If Earl can't recognize the delicate emotion flavor of this match then he is beyond the pale. If he just plays good pool he will gain the respect his game deserves.

Vagabond
07-21-2002, 06:34 AM
Howdy DoomsDay,
U have to know earl.He is a principled guy.For the sake of principles he might ``piss away`` that 30,000$!!!!
vagabond

07-21-2002, 07:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vagabond:</font><hr> Howdy DoomsDay,
U have to know earl.He is a principled guy.For the sake of principles he might ``piss away`` that 30,000$!!!!
vagabond
<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, clearly a man of principles. He maintains that rascist outlook like a real trooper.

He's a jerk. Undoubtedly. But what i'm interested in right now, is seeing if Django was really fired up, or if those black arm bands maybe had more of an affect on his opponents game than we realised. Earl is the one man who wouldn't give Bustamente a sympathy win.

07-21-2002, 08:56 AM
So what you're saying is that when you're watching competitive sports, you want to be entertained, and your definitions of entertainment including fighting, arguing and confrontational behavior by the athletes.

Well, consider yourself in the majority. Congratulations.

This is what sports have become...and I'll tell you why. It's about the money. It's all about raising more and more and more money and in order to win sponsors, those running the show have to please the spectators and win over more spectators, because sponsors want to see that the masses are watching. The more who watch and enjoy what they see, the more money goes into the game. So those in charge aren't punishing the competitors as they should because frankly, it's pleasing the fans and bringing in more money. So they're bowing down to the fans whims rather than training the fans on how to behave and how to respect their athletes. That part is too much work. They'd rather just take the money and run. Kind of reminds me of a similar problem we have with pollution on the planet, only this is people pollution.

This type of mentality has had professional sports spinning out of control for a long time, and it's going to get worse before it gets better. I greatly admire Great Britian for managing to hang on to whatever decency in pro sports they could for as long as they possibly can. Their audiences haven't been infected yet by what ours (and other countries) have, but I'm afraid that won't last too much longer.

IMO it's a distorted mind that enjoys real-life violence, confrontations, yelling and screaming and all that other negative stuff that goes on.

Fran

07-21-2002, 09:04 AM
Fran;
Although I understand the point you are attemting to ake regarding the professionalism of the players....to say that the Brits audience is any better behaved than ours I would have to ask.....have you seen a soccer match lately!

Scott Lee
07-21-2002, 09:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr>
If everyone acted like Efren or Ortmann or Mika or Varner, pool would surely be more pleasant to watch.
<hr></blockquote>

Joey...AND, there would be a multimillion dollar world tour, because sponsors would line up to be involved with class acts like Efren...who, you know, is a NATIONAL HERO in the Phillipines! He is not a national hero, worshipped by ALL, because he acts like a jerk. Earl, of course, is not the ONLY "bad boy" posterboy for pool...even among Americans, let alone other nationalalies. He is just one of the more flambouyant and vocal!

Scott Lee

07-21-2002, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> ....to say that the Brits audience is any better behaved than ours I would have to ask.....have you seen a soccer match lately! <hr></blockquote>

Lol. We prefer the term 'football' actually. And we are quite proud of our football hooliganism.

But seriously tho, that doesn't happen anymore at the highest level, only with lower division clubs who impose little control on their fans. The British crowd at Cardiff have a snooker mentality when watching pro pool, where any heckling is viewed as treason. I'm sorry to say it, but i'd bet money it was not the British fans heckling Earl.

BLACKHEART
07-21-2002, 11:10 AM
I agree, Troy. Earl is a great player, but I'm ashamed that he chants "USA". He does not represent what is good in America...JER

stickman
07-21-2002, 12:17 PM
I think the way Earl acts is disgraceful. On the other hand, Mike Tyson didn't make boxing look bad, he made Mike Tyson look bad. I hope the same is true for Earl.

07-21-2002, 12:44 PM
Earl Is The Man.

God Bless Earl and God Bless America.

I just hope the American Government stops trying to legislate morality. Do not pass laws making peoples THOUGHTS illegal.

07-21-2002, 12:59 PM
Good point. Well I think they're still a little better than the rest of the fans as far as decorum goes. I guess the disease is spreading. LOL

Fran

07-21-2002, 01:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr>it's a distorted mind that enjoys real-life violence, confrontations, yelling and screaming and all that other negative stuff that goes on.<hr></blockquote>That might be a distorted mind for a woman, but not a man.

Women are caretakers, nurturers. They are homemakers, childbearers and child raisers. Their role is to make a safe and comfortable home. They are not highly confrontational or competitive.

Men are hunters, gatherers. Men are fighters, warriors. They are more confrontational and competitive.

This has been true for several million years. It is true in most species, not just man. It hasn't changed, by the way, just because of the womans liberation movement over the last 25 years.

socrates
07-21-2002, 01:37 PM
I think this sums it up. "Scorn also to depress thy competitor by any dishonest or unworthy method; strive to raise thyself above him only by excelling him; so shall thy contest for superiority be crowned with honor, if not with success." Akhenaton

07-21-2002, 01:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Egg:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Fran Crimi:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;it's a distorted mind that enjoys real-life violence, confrontations, yelling and screaming and all that other negative stuff that goes on.&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;That might be a distorted mind for a woman, but not a man.

Women are caretakers, nurturers. They are homemakers, childbearers and child raisers. Their role is to make a safe and comfortable home. They are not highly confrontational or competitive.

Men are hunters, gatherers. Men are fighters, warriors. They are more confrontational and competitive.

This has been true for several million years. It is true in most species, not just man. It hasn't changed, by the way, just because of the womans liberation movement over the last 25 years. <hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I'm a real caring nurturer. OK, pick yourselves up off the floor, I'M WITH HAROLD ON THIS ONE!!!! SORRY GUYS, BUT EARL IS NOT A PATRIOT, HE IS A BIGOT AND THE VERY WORST KIND AT THAT. So he has you believing he makes those remarks out of patriotism? Uh uh, sorry Charlie. The $hit that spews from Earl's mouth has roots only in racism and hatred. Ever here him espouse his views on women in pool? Just as bad. You can put whatever kind of happy face on your excuses for Earl you want, the fact of the matter is, if he met us on the street, he'd spit at 75% of the members of this board. Why? because we're not stupid white males, the only kind of people Earl thinks are fit to inhabit this earth with him. Earl has proven by deed, time and time again (and by the way, what you do is the only thing that counts) that he is little more than a modern day Nazi. No amount of talent exempts anyone from decent and moral behavior. I'd love to go on with convincing examples of why this man should not be idolized, but frankly, I've better things to do with my time.
BTW, I am not of the opinion that Earl should be denied an opportunity to play. I'm not even suggesting that he be censored in any way. I do think that we need to take a good look at ourselves when we idolize him and excuse his comments and behavior based on nothing more than his ability to play a GAME, however. Earl is not entertaining. He is a sad comment on how morally bankrupt our species has become.

07-21-2002, 03:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Moderator:</font><hr>
I just hope the American Government stops trying to legislate morality. Do not pass laws making peoples THOUGHTS illegal. <hr></blockquote>

This isn't politics, fool. This is the mindless actions of an individual.

It isn't Strickland's THOUGHTS people object to, but the way his thoughts are manifested. The day a professional sportsman can get away with his brand of redneck, bigotted nonsense with a clear conscience, is the day pool becomes popular with the masses. No laws have been passed, and nor will they be.

JimS
07-21-2002, 03:57 PM
It's always been that way so what can we do? We men are helpless to overcome our violent and crude genes. What a crock!!!!!!!!

I think Earl is a fantastic pool player who is emotionally immature and a poor excuse for a professional or a man. I cannot respect anyone who behaves like he does. His immature behavior is not acceptable.

Please understand that I am not condemming him as a person, I have no idea what kind of person Earl is. I'm not saying he is a bad person. I'm saying that his behavior is often childish, selfish, self-centered and unacceptable in an adult male.

Chris Cass
07-21-2002, 04:01 PM
&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: socrates:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; I think this sums it up. "Scorn also to depress thy competitor by any dishonest or unworthy method; strive to raise thyself above him only by excelling him; so shall thy contest for superiority be crowned with honor, if not with success." Akhenaton &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

1300 B.C. ehh. Yeah I remember Amenhotep, man could he jump. They played pool with pebbles. He put out a line of cues named Ankh's. They used to call him Sunny. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~knows all the players

EZMark
07-21-2002, 04:19 PM
The name of the player is of no matter,but beings there is no functioning governing body, the sponsor must take care of the taking charge. 1st time a warning, 2nd loss of match, 3rd disqualificatin, no exceptions. Till this happens
this game will remain bush. Any spectator who goes out of his way to aggravate any player shoud be escorted to the door. When we can police our own sport, the and only then, can we think about being in the Olympics. Just my thoughts.Thnx EZMark

Barbara
07-21-2002, 04:24 PM
Hey Girl, don't hold back!!! LOL!!! Straight on. I don't like Earl, but then again, I didn't like John MacEnro a lot and I still watched him just to watch him. Same thing with a lot of other poorly mannered tennis players. Ilie Nastasi and what's-his-name that married what's-her-name big time tennis star and then married a Playboy Centerfold girl. The point I'm trying to make is that they were entertaining to the crowd, but definitely not to their co-players who knew better on how to act at Wimbolden and the US Open.

Hate to miss you an Dr. D in Binghamton. We'll catch up later.

Barbara~~~gonna be at the bottom of the NEWT tour standings by the end of the year..... OUCH!

Troy
07-21-2002, 05:44 PM
I think more like 13xx BC...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr>
13th Centry ehh....Like I knew that. LOL
C.C. <hr></blockquote>

Harold Acosta
07-21-2002, 06:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr>
Yeah, I'm a real caring nurturer. OK, pick yourselves up off the floor, I'M WITH HAROLD ON THIS ONE!!!! SORRY GUYS, BUT EARL IS NOT A PATRIOT, HE IS A BIGOT AND THE VERY WORST KIND AT THAT. So he has you believing he makes those remarks out of patriotism? Uh uh, sorry Charlie. The $hit that spews from Earl's mouth has roots only in racism and hatred. Ever here him espouse his views on women in pool? Just as bad. You can put whatever kind of happy face on your excuses for Earl you want, the fact of the matter is, if he met us on the street, he'd spit at 75% of the members of this board. Why? because we're not stupid white males, the only kind of people Earl thinks are fit to inhabit this earth with him. Earl has proven by deed, time and time again (and by the way, what you do is the only thing that counts) that he is little more than a modern day Nazi. No amount of talent exempts anyone from decent and moral behavior. I'd love to go on with convincing examples of why this man should not be idolized, but frankly, I've better things to do with my time.
BTW, I am not of the opinion that Earl should be denied an opportunity to play. I'm not even suggesting that he be censored in any way. I do think that we need to take a good look at ourselves when we idolize him and excuse his comments and behavior based on nothing more than his ability to play a GAME, however. Earl is not entertaining. He is a sad comment on how morally bankrupt our species has become. <hr></blockquote>

<font color=black> [b] Well said Lorri! Just the way I like it!

Harold

Chris Cass
07-21-2002, 10:35 PM
Hey Troy,

Thanks for the heads up but I edited it just the same. Check it out, you may get a chuckle. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

07-22-2002, 02:37 PM
Fran wrote: "...I greatly admire Great Britian for managing to hang on to whatever decency in pro sports they could for as long as they possibly can. Their audiences haven't been infected yet by what ours (and other countries) have..."

Fran, tell that to all those dead Italian fans killed by British soccer hooligans.

(PS I miss your postings on pool mechanics and techniques)

07-22-2002, 07:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr>

Barbara~~~gonna be at the bottom of the NEWT tour standings by the end of the year..... OUCH! <hr></blockquote>

I thought you had the "fix" for that? LOL We'll miss you too, be good girl!

07-22-2002, 07:59 PM
I was talking about pool fans. In a later post I said that the disease is probably spreading.

I still post some stuff here on mechanics. However, I won't post everything I know or teach. That part is reserved for my students.

Fran

Scott Lee
07-23-2002, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> 1300 B.C. ehh. Yeah I remember Amenhotep, man could he jump. They played pool with pebbles. He put out a line of cues named Ankh's. They used to call him Sunny. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~knows all the players <hr></blockquote>

Geez Chris...I KNEW you were OLD, but this is ridiculous! Although, I HAVE to say you look pretty good for just a bit past 3000! LOL Didja keep any of those Ankh cues? Probably be worth even MORE than your Southwest! LOL

Scott

phil in sofla
07-23-2002, 03:19 PM
I agree generally, but Earl isn't all but a modern day Nazi. That is over the top, and he's shown no degree of ill will sufficient to motivate genocide, or anything close.

Earl is a Carolina boy, and not atypical of that group, I think.

Ross
07-24-2002, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr>
You can put whatever kind of happy face on your excuses for Earl you want, the fact of the matter is, if he met us on the street, he'd spit at 75% of the members of this board. Why? because we're not stupid white males, the only kind of people Earl thinks are fit to inhabit this earth with him. <hr></blockquote>
Are you sure of that, Lorri? Do you have any experiences with him or know of any incidents that support anything beyond his kind of old-fashioned view of patriotism and gender roles? Other than the one report of a comment several years ago of "why aren't you cheering for the white guy?" I haven't seen any. Most of the accounts I've read about someone meeting him when his is not playing in a match, regardless of gender or race, have found him to be personally quite pleasant and a genuinely decent guy. All of his comments about Efren have been respectful as well, which seems a bit inconsistent for someone who is as bigoted as others are making him out to be. While he does seem to see the world in terms of old-fashioned southern stereotypes, his "bigotry" does not seem to run very deep, IMO.
I may be wrong, though :-}.

07-24-2002, 01:18 PM
How is it that I know you wouldn't show the same consideration to say Reyes or Django if they took it upon themselves to be loud, objectionable, and rascist? (however shallow his rascism might run - does that excuse it??)
As far as i can see Lorri is one of the few who still talks sense here, and one of the few who isn't blinded by the hollow glory of having an American World Champion again.

Ross
07-24-2002, 02:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Crowbar:</font><hr> How is it that I know you wouldn't show the same consideration to say Reyes or Django if they took it upon themselves to be loud, objectionable, and rascist? (however shallow his rascism might run - does that excuse it??)
<hr></blockquote>
I never said that Earl isn't at times loud and objectionable - just that I think it is a bit unfair to label him as a raving racist. And if Reyes and Earl were playing in the Philippines and the crowd started cheering for Earl and Reyes said "Why aren't you rooting for the Philippino" I don't think I would conclude that he was an unrepentent racist, either.

07-24-2002, 09:23 PM
Ross, I'm not trying to be mean, I'm really not. I have met Earl face to face, and it was the first time in my life a man ever snubbed me. I'm not trying to paint him as a raving racist, He's doing a pretty good job all by himself. I'm also not trying to paint him as rude and obnoxious, the same applies. When everyone in the world is telling you your behavior is socially unacceptable, and you continue to behave in the same manner, what does that say about you? There are two possibilities, I'm sure I don't need to illustrate them for you. As for southern social mores, the southerners I know would not be comfortable with that type of behavior, and Earl is not claiming to represent Southerners, he says he represents Americans. Well, I'm an American, and I don't want that kind of representation for myself. But then again, I also didn't want a trained chimp in the White House, and I've got that too!

07-24-2002, 10:22 PM
right on, lorri!!!!

Ross
07-25-2002, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr> Ross, I'm not trying to be mean, I'm really not. I have met Earl face to face, and it was the first time in my life a man ever snubbed me. <hr></blockquote>
Lorri, I don't read you as being the mean type. You sound pretty nice, actually. I just take it that you feel pretty strongly about this issue, and I can understand why if he acted like a jerk toward you. If you don't mind me asking, what happened?