PDA

View Full Version : 2007 DCC “St. Louis” Louis Roberts Award - Results

Cornerman
01-23-2007, 02:05 PM
In a year where the event was packed with the most highly touted stone cold action monsters from around the globe, picking a winner for the 2007 Derby City Classic “St Louis” Louis Roberts Action and Entertainment Award proved to be a thrilling ride.

The sweators and bettors spoke, and their votes were cast. We are excited to announce that the 2007 “St. Louis” Louis Roberts Award goes to Chris Bartrum. Bartrum was in high profile action every day of the nine day pool & billiard jamboree.

Players often say that matching up and putting ones heart on the line lends to great improvement in play, forcing players to play their best game. No savers, no dumps. Just ask anyone who the great action players are, and most will point the Filipinos, a group notorious for being in constant action as a part of their life and livelihood. Chris Bartrum took noteworthy steps in that direction, showing the world that the Americans still have gamble in them. Among his many matchups, Bartrum twice took on Filipino sensation Dennis Orcollo in 10-ball, he battled UK 8-ball Champion Darren Appleton in an 11-ahead set of 9-ball, and he had several other multi-hour sets throughout the duration of the event. Chris had backing from several of his fellow players, and he backed other players as well.

Though somewhat quiet and reserved around the pool table, Bartrum never failed to attract a large crowd whenever he was in action. And the award is all about entertaining the crowd, however the winner accomplishes that task. Congratulations Chris on this well-deserved honor.

Over forty votes were received from the internet forum community, with Bartrum receiving the most first place votes and most votes overall. Shane Van Boening, Jon (Pinegar) Hennessee, and Harold McAbee rounded out the top four.

Respectfully,

The Louis Roberts Action & Entertainment Award Committee /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman3
01-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Good selection. I voted for Harold but it's hard to argue with Chris Bartrum. He did play his heart out and was in action every minute and had absolutely no fear.

Fred, thanks for running this.

DeeMan

Qtec
01-24-2007, 04:42 AM
Did he win in the match ups?
Q

Cornerman
01-24-2007, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Did he win in the match ups?
Q <hr /></blockquote>Chris did lose to Dennis and Darren. He won every othre long matchup that I saw him shooting. He was down 8 games in a 10-ahead set and won it about 2 hours later. That's an 18 game turnaround. That's a lot of heart.

Chris as a gentleman really came through against Darren as when Darren got to one game away in an 11-ahead set, Darren swiped the coin. Chris explained in a very nice manner how an ahead set works compared to a race, how you wouldn't swipe the coin, etc... And he did this in a friendly fashion helping out a fellow warrior new to the "ahead set" style of gambling. Even though Chris was getting his brains beat in.

Fred

Fred

Deeman3
01-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Q,

A funny thing about Derby City. You see the wierdest things both in the tournament and gambling.

A film crew was doing a story on the action at Derby City and at one point had a guy next to me (I won't name him for obvious purposes). The kid was on camera and being interviewed about his gambling crew, a bunch who had pooled their money to come there and make a big score. He went on and on of how you have to be aware of everything to be successful at gambling and how you would risk $10,000 in a set but they were experts and would "rob" the older, more experienced gamblers. They had planned this whole things since their unlucky venture last year and had it down this time. I didn't think much about this until a few hours later and Ace and I are playing upstairs at about 4:00a.m. in a room with only a table or so seeing play. In comes this kid followed by his crew. A little later another crew comes in and starts a three card Monte scam on one fo the tables. These "experts" go over and proceed to lose much of their stake to the Monte guys and finaly give up. One of the Monte guys "accidently" finds some dice and they start that scam. The kids fall for it and Ace and I had to go over and watch these "experts" gamble. It was almost funny if not sad. I wanted to tell them they could buy a "Three Card Monte" set down stairs but just went back to my game with Ace. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If any of you saw the internet broadcast of the 9 ball match between Bobby Pickle and Efren, there's a great story in that but will have to be told off line.

DeeMan

SPetty
01-24-2007, 01:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> If any of you saw the internet broadcast of the 9 ball match between Bobby Pickle and Efren, there's a great story in that but will have to be told off line.<hr /></blockquote>I'm sure you've got it typed up by now - mind sending it to me?

Deeman3
01-24-2007, 01:25 PM
I will type it up this afternoon and send it to my favorite Texas woman.....I need a hug...

DeeMan