PDA

View Full Version : gambling and hustling

bradb
01-23-2007, 07:32 PM
I thought I would start a new tread on this subject. I've wasted enough time, but why stop now.

It was interesting to note that some top players absolutely refuse to gamble. They claim it distracts them from focusing on Tournaments, plus it only breeds hostility. I can identify with that. I quit gambling years ago after seeing one to many fights. At the clubs I attend we even share table fee. Its been a lot more quite now but certainly not as interesting.

In my early days I saw gamblers who beat the best tornament players in money games but would be knocked out of the first round in a match. Gamblers are a different kind of cat I guess. They BS, they brag, they try anything to rattle you. I knew a hustler who had an accomplice who would pass by your table and bump into to you during a shot. I even saw a snooker pro get hustled. This gambler bets the pro he can't break a rack and run 50. The pro broke and ran 61. The guy then said he lost...he was supposed to run 50!
The most fun was the handycaps, like shooting with the feet as a rest, or playing wearing someone elses glasses. Those were fun days but there was also a lot of hostility and very few people were close friends it was get the money any way you can. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mantis
01-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Gambling seems ok if it is between two honest, decent people. Hustling, on the other hand, is a low life event in my opinion. The gambling part certainly seems like a good way to test your nerves.

FatsRedux
01-23-2007, 10:40 PM
I gamble from time to time.

If I'm playing, say a race to seven for $50 or $100, it's always with guys I know well and trust. We always post the money up. And win or lose, we have fun, behave like gentlemen, and shake hands before and after.

Sometimes I'll play eight ball in the pub for $5 a game. It's just for fun and most guys will quit after they lose around $20 or $25, no big deal.

Hustling is different. Hustling is akin to theft by deception. Lies, sharking, and tricks are the hustler's stock in trade. That kind of stuff is just not my cup of tea.

Fats

bradb
01-24-2007, 10:46 AM
I agree gambling should be among friends, but I can't help but notice that even friendly gambling has that competitive edge that brings out the preditor in us. There is a long on-going game of table golf at a legion in Vancouver and its played by the same gang every weekend. Even though they are friends its just not a comfortable environment. Hustling just can't stay out of gambling completely. Its always there.

Stretch
01-24-2007, 01:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> I agree gambling should be among friends, but I can't help but notice that even friendly gambling has that competitive edge that brings out the preditor in us. There is a long on-going game of table golf at a legion in Vancouver and its played by the same gang every weekend. Even though they are friends its just not a comfortable environment. Hustling just can't stay out of gambling completely. Its always there. <hr /></blockquote>

The problem is, gambling is or can be, an addiction. St.

Jude_Rosenstock
01-24-2007, 08:45 PM
As a rule, common-sense needs to be used whenever you are offered to gamble at pool. It can get very dangerous very quickly and I can recall several times where I've forfeited my winnings in the hopes that I could avoid a violent situation.

One thing I do, I will always pay the table-time of the person I beat, regardless as to the arrangement so long as the winnings are significantly more (ie., I win $100 and table-time is $20). They walk away feeling slightly better and will frequently be more apt to give it another go in the future.

bradb
01-25-2007, 12:08 AM
I think the best way is to put all the money in a pot as Fats redux mentioned that way its more like a little tournament and not so personal. Thats how we play at our snooker league. But bar pool is risky, there's booze involved and anybody can come up and put their name down to play.
I guess what irks me the most is to be pressured by someone to play for money, I don't care if i think i can beat them or not I don't like some one in my face. I told one guy "what part of NO do you not understand!" He only backed off when I told him I was going to complain to the owner.
I thought it was interesting that the number one european player Thurston Holman was pressured constantly in Vegas to play for money and he stood to his principals and refused.

StormHotRod300
01-25-2007, 01:52 AM
The only problem I see with Gambling/Hustling is that everyone wants that EASY win and nobody wants to match up even.

Anytime I goto the pool hall i never have a problem finding a game, its just everyone wants a big advantage or they wont play, or if they do play, its for peanuts.

Or most guys who come upto me and want a game if they are better always try to haggle with me about what kind of weight they are willing to give, IE giving the 8ball when they could give me the 7.

Personally every now and then someone will shout out a game, and say lets play for 25 a set and u give me the 8, I'll come back with the lets play for 50 or 100, and go even /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif which in turn get the person scrambling and saying well then you need to give me the 7 or the 6.

bradb
01-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Just watched Robb Saez play and he mentioned that only gambling shows the true best players because its continuous till somebody finally throws in the towel. He thinks tournament play is a crap shoot as its alternate play and it comes down to luck. Having said that though he was waxed 7-1 by Rodney. Maybe he was saving his play for the money games after. They probably make more money there then the winner does for the whole match.
Also apps for spelling Thorston Hohmanns name wrong. Brad