PDA

View Full Version : Dominant Right EYE

Morris183
01-25-2007, 12:53 PM
What adjustment when aiming, should I make, knowing that my right eye is the dominant eye

dr_dave
01-25-2007, 01:09 PM
FYI, there has been a ton of advice, discussion, and debate about the dominant eye on this forum. You can find some of the highlights here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html) under "dominant eye" under "aiming".

Happy reading,
Dave

DeadCrab
01-25-2007, 01:29 PM
If you shoot right handed, probably no adjustment is needed.

If you shoot left handed, try closing your dominant right eye and see if this improves your aim.

I'm right eye dominant and shoot left handed. I don't think it matters much for most shots. For long thin cut shots I will sometimes close my right eye to aim.

The "line on the kitchen table" method of assessing the effects of eye dominance for your side of the cueball seems like a good method. For the long range effects, I think you just have to see if your aim improves when using one eye instead of two.

Morris183
01-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Read a few of the posts. Very helpful. Thanks.

Morris183
02-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Today while I was practicing the object ball ended up the pocket on the left side. Is this possibly a result of right eye dominance? TIA. Moe

rangoonkid
02-12-2007, 09:43 PM

cushioncrawler
02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Morris183:</font><hr> Today while I was practicing the object ball ended up the pocket on the left side. Is this possibly a result of right eye dominance? TIA. Moe <hr /></blockquote> Moe -- I dont think that i have ever mentioned one of my team mates from the old dayz, Tom, a small maori (from new zealand). Tom won the club snooker championship, actually, clubs, koz he woz the champ at both of the clubs that i woz a member of. Tom only had one good eye. Yet, he hadnt learnt to hit the qball dead center. In fact, he never ever hit the qball anywhere near center, he allways hit it a long way left of center, further left than i ever saw before or since, but of course he thort he was hitting center. Boy, i wish i could pot like him.

But, i reckon that after a year or so, once your stroke is sort of in a groove, albeit a bad one, then get a bent cue. A bent cue is the best medicine i know, fixes bad eyes and bad style. Use it bent to the left, or to the right, both are very good, but one might be better, for u. madMac.

dr_dave
02-13-2007, 08:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rangoonkid:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> FYI, there has been a ton of advice, discussion, and debate about the dominant eye on this forum. You can find some of the highlights here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html) under "dominant eye" under "aiming".

Happy reading,
Dave <hr /></blockquote>

Dr Dave, you fluffed the guy off, other than sending him to your web site to buy stuff<hr /></blockquote>
I'm sorry you think that. Do you really think I maintain the threads summary section of my website so people will buy stuff? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I created and maintain the summary to make it easy for me and others to find information. Many people have written to me expressing thanks for this resource. Answers to many common questions can be found there quickly, unlike with trying to use Internet search tools.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rangoonkid:</font><hr>now [how] about a link to an exact article than answers his question.<hr /></blockquote>I don't know of any good article or book with convincing information concerning dominant eye issues. I suspect any such writings would be highly debatable anyway.

Regards,
Dr. Dave

Morris183
02-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks all again. I'm trying to learn as quickly as possible but I guess as in my other endeavors I need to have patience and experiment to determine if it's a one time event or repeats. By the way, Dr Dave your short videos are awesome. Moe

dr_dave
02-13-2007, 03:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Morris183:</font><hr> Thanks all again. I'm trying to learn as quickly as possible but I guess as in my other endeavors I need to have patience and experiment to determine if it's a one time event or repeats. By the way, Dr Dave your short videos are awesome. Moe <hr /></blockquote>Thank you for the positive feedback.

Good luck with your game,
Dave

Scott Lee
02-13-2007, 10:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Morris183:</font><hr> Thanks all again. I'm trying to learn as quickly as possible but I guess as in my other endeavors I need to have patience and experiment to determine if it's a one time event or repeats. By the way, Dr Dave your short videos are awesome. Moe <hr /></blockquote>

Moe...Fast Larry aka Rangoonkid did give you good advice. Eye dominance has no bearing on playing pool well. You have to align yourself to the shot, so that you "see" a straight line, and then are able to deliver your cue in the same straight line. Seek out a qualified instructor to help you achieve this more easily and consistently.

Scott Lee