PDA

View Full Version : Best shaft to date

Randysmi
01-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Has anyone done a technical study of the latest 'bonded' type shafts, such as Predator , Black dot, Tiger, etc?
I have ordered a 30" Z shaft, second edition, but only because of the advertisement, not necessarily by how it shoots. I mainly want it because it has an 11.7" shaft, and I like a thinner shaft.
I would love to see a comparison of how each deflects.

thanks
-randy

canadan
01-25-2007, 10:40 PM
good luck with the 30" shaft took me about 7 weeks to get it.They kept sending 29"ers. however I did get alot of good deals from the shop for the wait. Free shaper, cleaning cloth, no extra charge ($10) and 30% off a case. only played with it once and I love that I dont have to hold the but when I shoot. Also my draw was alot more precice then the 29" 314/2 but I need to paly with it more to know for sure.

StormHotRod300
01-26-2007, 01:57 AM
Personally I dont like the laminated shafts. I'd rather have a custom cue maker, make me a shaft to my liking.

I've heard too many horror stories of these high tech shafts warping and comming un-glued, when exposed to the elements of weather. I've left my old Schon in my car for a year winter/spring/summer/fall, and it was still straight as a arrow.

Plus, I tend to laugh a bit when Predator or Tiger, or Meucci, layes out the claims of how thier shaft, allows you to apply english better or has lower deflection or this n that. Because, if you need one of these high tech shafts so you can put english on the CB better then, maybe you should practice more, or put that money your spending on this shaft towards lessons and practice time.

Also it makes me think, they are telling the custom cue makers that, well you can spend 2000$ on a Bludworth or Scruggs or Gilbert, but they have no clue on how to make a good shaft for your cue.

I'd rather play with a House Cue than put a freakin X shaft or Predator shaft on my Gilbert.

littleCajun
01-31-2007, 01:31 PM
I like the OB1 for the feel and hit

MrLucky
01-31-2007, 06:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Randysmi:</font><hr> Has anyone done a technical study of the latest 'bonded' type shafts, such as Predator , Black dot, Tiger, etc?
I have ordered a 30" Z shaft, second edition, but only because of the advertisement, not necessarily by how it shoots. I mainly want it because it has an 11.7" shaft, and I like a thinner shaft.
I would love to see a comparison of how each deflects.

thanks
-randy <hr /></blockquote> <font color="red"> I have a McDermott I-2 shaft I recently won in a contest It is amazing how much more control I now have with so much less effort! I highly recommend it</font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

caedos
02-01-2007, 10:57 AM
With any shaft I play with, my priorities are that I can manage the squirt it produces, that it has a uniform or very predictable amount of flex, and of course that I like the feel of the hit. I used to seek out or ask for #1 grade shafts with old and tight grain, and with hints of color (usually reddish) sometimes called food lines. Up until the 1990s this wasn't tough to find. Because of the increasing rarity of great #1 shafts, I finally switched to an engineered laminated shaft once I was convinced I had found one that was built well enough (the OB-1). I'd be playing with it even if it wasn't built near my home town. It has extraordinary levels of symmetric uniform construction, with a great solution to producing a straight centerline axis. Other shafts often try to evenly splice to a center point along the length of the shaft, which is very tough to do and I could never make peace with it in my mind. OB-1 has a small evenly routed channel that's very straight and allows an even distribution of energy through the shaft. The interlocking design they use for the laminates ensures a uniform flex in any position of rotation. It has a soft feeling hit, with an ability to produce high levels of spin on the cue ball. They are in the market with the "less cue ball deflection" demographic, which is fine. All shafts produce some cue ball squirt. As long as you know what your cue does it can be managed and used for good results. OB-1 shafts make my squirt paths very predictable, which gives me more confidence in using side spin. It plays fantastic!

And no, I don't work for OB-1. Mostly I try to beat their team in league or I don't see them much at all!

As to the study you ask about: the only studies I've seen are usually produced by the company making the shaft. If it's not an independent study, it's too biased for me to rely upon. I haven't seen or heard of one yet that's an open examination of shafts marketed today.

Please let us (the CCB) know if you find such a study.

Thanks,

Carl

BillPorter
02-01-2007, 11:45 AM
http://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_deflect.php

sygfrid
02-01-2007, 10:28 PM
A very subjective question... It all boils down to your preference &amp; skill level /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif