PDA

View Full Version : A question for Dr Dave...

NH_Steve
01-26-2007, 10:36 AM
I noticed on AZBilliards a thread about whether a player slapping the table rail actually does slow down a ball that looks like it is rolling too far.

Link to thead (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=52643)

Many players do this, with of course wide variations in the degree of 'pounding' or vibration applied to the table rail. I know as a player, I don't like my opponent doing it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
But, I have no idea if it actually has an effect.
Dr. Dave, is this something you can apply your science to?
Many thanks!

dr_dave
01-26-2007, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr> I noticed on AZBilliards a thread about whether a player slapping the table rail actually does slow down a ball that looks like it is rolling too far.

Link to thead (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=52643)

Many players do this, with of course wide variations in the degree of 'pounding' or vibration applied to the table rail. I know as a player, I don't like my opponent doing it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
But, I have no idea if it actually has an effect.
Dr. Dave, is this something you can apply your science to?
Many thanks!<hr /></blockquote>My crystal ball of magic science says that it could make a tiny difference under certain conditions, but probably not enough to really matter. It could even cause the ball to roll a little farther under certain conditions. Regardless, a player should not be allowed to do this, and I think you are even justified in calling a foul (see rule 2.19 in the BCA/WPA standardized rules (http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=rules)).

Regards,
Dave

Deeman3
01-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Steve,

A very effective reply to this table pounding is to immediately rush up to the table, lean forward and start pounding the table to the beat of Desi Arnez's "Bob-a-Lu". Do one verse and then quietly drum your fingers on the end rail saying, "There's no place like home..." three times, then just return to your normal play. Your opponent will no longer pat, pound nor massage the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DeeMan
all you have to do is ask the DeeMan!!!!!!

Bob_Jewett
01-26-2007, 01:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr> I noticed on AZBilliards a thread about whether a player slapping the table rail actually does slow down a ball that looks like it is rolling too far.. ... <hr /></blockquote>
Didn't you notice how in his later years Mizerak would move to the far end of the table to get the ball to roll down hill? And to the near end to make the ball put on the breaks? Far, far more effective than tapping the table which actually seems more likely to speed the ball up.

In any case, it's easy enough to test -- just jury-rig a stimpmeter and do a series of tests with and without tapping. But flip a coin between releasing the ball and possible tapping to determine whether you tap or not so as to remove bias in the release.

cushioncrawler
01-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Not well known. Walter Lindrum called, and got, a foul on Willie Smith. Willie's ball seemed to stop short of falling, and, as it stopped, Willie leaned onto the table more forcefully than one might normally lean, in fact more of a bump. Willie's ball did in fact stop, and didnt fall. So, it woz Wally'z turn. But, Wally asked for, and got, a foul anyhow. Guess that this gave Wally the option of "spotting all 3 balls up". madMac.