PDA

View Full Version : Masse shaft?

underdog
01-26-2007, 04:30 PM
I have a strange question. Can you get a shaft for a cuetec jump/break cue that is for doing masse shots with a little more spin and control. Kind of like a "masse cue" I suppose. I'm guessing that since I have had no luck in finding anything like this that it isn't plausible but I thought someone here might help. Thanks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1hit1der
01-26-2007, 06:33 PM
I would think most custom cue makers could make you a shaft that would fit. Otherwise, Cuetec does make a masse cue, but you'd have to request it specifically. I've heard it's actually pretty inexpensive. Nick Nikolaidis uses it in competitions.

cushioncrawler
01-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Underdog -- I wonder if u do mean masse -- or whether u mean swerve. If the answer is masse -- i wonder whether u hold the cue with a "spear grip" or a "hammer grip".

I seem to recall that Mannock might have been the first player to ever use a special "masse cue". He wrote in 1904 ....
".... i am not an advocate of billiard-players carrying a bag of cues about, as do golfers their clubs for every class of stroke, but i certainly am very strongly of the opinion that the ordinary cue is by no means an ideal one for coping with the masse' or pique' .... one has to hold it somewhere below, or at any rate at the end of, the splicing .... they have at once a tendency to become "top-heavy" .... What he needs is a cue of less length .... with more weight forward. I have invented a masse' cue on this principle. It is only some two-thirds of the length of the ordinary cue, and the gain all players experience with it in their masse' and pique' strokes is almost incredible. I have had it weighted to seventeen ounces, with the weight well inclining to the point of the cue...."

Billy_Bob
01-27-2007, 07:57 AM
There are 4 features to a masse' cue.

The short size, the weight crammed into the butt (to make cue 24 oz), the sturdiness of the shaft (to hold up to very hard hits), and then the tip (to get good spin on the cue ball).

I suppose you could just have the shaft made, but then you would not have the weight needed. Anyway here is a guy who makes masse' cues...

http://schulercue.com/products/accessories.htm

1hit1der
01-27-2007, 09:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> There are 4 features to a masse' cue.

The short size, the weight crammed into the butt (to make cue 24 oz), the sturdiness of the shaft (to hold up to very hard hits), and then the tip (to get good spin on the cue ball).

I suppose you could just have the shaft made, but then you would not have the weight needed. Anyway here is a guy who makes masse' cues...

http://schulercue.com/products/accessories.htm
<hr /></blockquote>

Schuler and Stealth are about the only production masse cues I've seen advertised.

While the general characteristics of the masse cue have been mentioned, they are by no means necessary. I've done plenty of masses of good quality with a regular 19oz McDermott and stock shaft and tip. If you were really trying to masse with a jump/break cue, the biggest issue is the tip since it is very hard and most jump/break tips don't hold chalk well. You won't be able to get the spin necessary to see the masse.

underdog
01-27-2007, 01:32 PM
When I say "masse", I mean jacked up 90 degrees or so. Trick shot style. I just thought about getting one for goofing off mainly. But it would have helped me a few times when I came real close to making shots that required a masse like that. Thanks for all the info guys. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott Lee
01-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Hi Tim! Hope things are going well for you, since I saw you last November! Have you seen and/or tried the slip-on thing, that Cuestix sells, for making masse easy? It slips right over the tip of your regular cue, and is supposed to eliminate the need for a masse cue. BTW, you certainly can masse quite well, even with a regular cue...as I saw for myself! I have the Stealth masse cue myself.

Scott Lee

1hit1der
01-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi Scott! Yeah, I got the twister masse tip but I haven't tried it. I watched the DVD and it seems like the stroke needed is entirely different, just a light jab. I probably won't have time to give it a try until late Feb/early March. I'll report back though and let you know what I think of it.