PDA

View Full Version : best table

bubbachuck
01-27-2007, 11:37 AM
what do you think is the best table quality wise for $1500-2000.. i was thinking this olhausen one but i wanted to make sure first..

olhausen table (http://www.olhausenbilliards.com/pooltables_detail.php?id=24&cat=LAMINATES)

ceebee
01-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi there.... Good Luck in your search for a Pool Table.

I have a few suggestions;

If you are a league player, then you might regularly play on a BarBox.

If you play on Big Tables, at your local Pool Hall, you might play on Diamonds, Big Gandy's or Gold Crowns.

If the above info is close or correct, maybe an 8 footer is your choice.

Finding a compromise, for you to practice/play on, might be the ticket. If you have a Game Room & want to have your buddies come & play, maybe your needs are something else.

It seems that different areas of the nation actually do have concentrations of different manufacturer made Pool Tables.

Good Luck...

bubbachuck
01-27-2007, 06:02 PM
so do you think that an olhausen table is a good table to practice on if i plan on taking my game to the next level (that is of course witht the simonis cloth)

FatsRedux
01-28-2007, 01:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bubbachuck:</font><hr> so do you think that an olhausen table is a good table to practice on if i plan on taking my game to the next level (that is of course witht the simonis cloth) <hr /></blockquote>

Gentlemen..allow me to interject please.

Bubbachuck, I think you know the answer to your own needs.

Get the Olhausen. Practice and play your azz off on it and come back and tell us if it helped. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Ya gotta strike while the anvil is hot!

Fats

mantis
01-28-2007, 07:18 AM
The Olhausen table is a nice table. All of their tables are. If I was going to buy a new table,it would be an Olhausen, Brunswick, Diamond, or maybe a Connelly.

I doubt you can get this table new with Simonis cloth for under $2000 though. It will probably be close though.

One other thing to think of is your pocket size. THe installer will probably make you pockets around 5 1/4 inches. That is much larger than most competitive pool halls you will play at. You may want to consider a pocket size closer to 4 1/2 with the simonis, then you will have a table that will play like a competition table.

mantis
01-28-2007, 07:23 AM
I did not realize the table was made of lamminate not solid wood. That will keep the price down. It will still play as well as other tables though. I am not sure of the durability compared to solid wood. I would consider their lowest priced solid wood table. It shold not be that much more.

Shaft
01-29-2007, 01:37 PM
"Laminate" is one of those funny words (like "phenolic") that can mean a lot of things: plastic laminated on top of chipboard, plastic laminated on top of plywood, wood veneer laminated to plywood, etc.
As every woodworker knows, plywood is usually stronger and more dimensionally stable than solid wood. Except for limitations on carvability, plywood is good stuff.

bradb
01-29-2007, 06:57 PM
A quality table like an Olhausen does'nt need solid wood throughout because as mentioned by Shaft, laminate ply can actually be stronger than solid wood. The only reason you would want a solid wood table is because you can have fancy turned legs etc. The only solid wood you will need is on the rails where you will be touching the wood in play. Stay away from the Chinese tables, they look fantastic but the wood is poor quality and will crack, plus the finish will rub off. Underneath is most important, so stay with the name brands but don't worry about the laminate its a good solid foundation.

bubbachuck
01-29-2007, 07:59 PM
thanks guys this really helped /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif