PDA

View Full Version : Israel - Article from Sunday Times (UK)

FatsRedux
01-28-2007, 12:57 AM
I just got home and was reading the Sunday Times when I came across an article regarding Iraeli politics.

As you may or may not know there has been a political storm unleashed in Israel againts PM Olmert. The Defense Minister has gone public on precisely where he feels the blame lies for the Lebanon fiasco.

BTW- I agree with the Defense Minister.

The Sunday Times ^ | January 28, 2007 | Uzi Mahnaimi

Halutz’s testimony to the inquiry, which is being held behind closed doors, may well prove the final straw.

“Halutz will defend the IDF (Israel Defence Force) with all his might. He’ll argue that the main failure of the war in Lebanon stemmed from the confused orders given by the prime minister,” said a military source.

According to insiders, Halutz’s principal argument will be that if he had known in advance the government intended to launch a full-scale war his plans would have been very different. He would have implemented a strategy codenamed Heavenly Water to trap the Iranian-backed Hezbollah militia in a killing zone between the Israeli-Lebanon border and the Litani river, and finish the war in less than a week. Instead, Hezbollah was able to claim victory and strengthen its influence in Lebanon.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-2569814,00.html

Gayle in MD
01-28-2007, 04:25 AM
Lebanon is a prime example of why it's a waste of time, blood and money to try to insert democracy, and regime change, in a Middle East country. They end up voting for the terrorists, and despots that they think are the most powerful, and in the case of Lebanon, they put in the guys that could and would protect them from Isreal. Same thing happened in Iraq. Maliki is in bed with that nut in Iran. Many thought that both Saddam, and Ahmadid-a-doobie, /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif were about to be axed by their more western thinking youth before we jumped into the fray. Too bad.

Gayle in Md.