PDA

View Full Version : Black Balled by League

Ralph S.
01-29-2007, 01:05 PM
This initial event happened about two weeks ago, but I have been waiting to post on it, giving it a chance to play out some.

Two Thursdays ago, my friends team was kicked out of their league. Rone {my friend} had called the person in charge of the league and asked if they could play their match that night locally, instead of driving 45 minutes to the in=house league site. They were told "NO" by the organizer even though the requested locale was in the same charter group. The request for the alternate site was due to one of the players having severe medical issues with an immediate family member and wanted to reduce the time away from home that night as much as possible.

Rone's team said no problem and made the drive anyway. They were playing another good friend of mine and Rone's that night. Both teams are very good and were running first and second in the league, which has a large amount of added money to the top finishing teams.

Upon arrival to play, the owner of the bar hosting the league and adding the money, promptly threw two envelopes with all the monies each team had paid thus far, onto the tables and told them "to get the **** out". After a large arguement and near brawl, Rone's team left. My other friends team refused to leave, claiming they did nothing wrong and didn't deserve to be kicked out of the league. Rone didn't deserve it either but was just too furious to even argue it.

Rone didvided the money amongst his players with each getting their proper amounts based on the number of nights played to that point. The amount involved here is about $525.00 for the team. One of Rone's team members is allowed to field four new players and just take over the second place position vacated the prior week. This should never have been allowed. Not to mention, Rone was stabbed in the back by a team mate and a friendship was ruined. My friend Chad, who is TC on the other team, was told that if he made a comment that was negative of the bar in any way shape or form, he would be kicked out too. This included any comments about getting a bad roll or complaints of table condition.

At the TC meeting held the week after all this happened, they were told that the charter holder would be making up the missing $525.00 that had been given back to Rone's team. Apparently, the league coordinator told my friend that nothing could be done since it was an in-house league. Now that the charter has stepped up and said they would kick in the $$$$ paid out, it should no longer be considered an in-house league and national should be able to step in and rectify things or pull somebody's charter or something.

Have any of you had a similar situation or know what might possibly happen in a mess like this? The whole ordeal has created some major controversy around here.

jjinfla
01-30-2007, 06:08 AM
Very confusing.

You say it is an "in-house" league and you want to play your match some place else?

I'd kick you out too.

An in-house league plays in house. The owner gives up the tables for free so that people will come into his bar to spend money so that he can earn a living.

There must be a few more sides to this issue that you are not mentioning.

Jake

Billy_Bob
01-30-2007, 09:03 AM
There are always two sides to a story. Possibly more to this from the bar owner's point of view?

BUT, when you say you were from out of the area AND your teams were running 1st and 2nd, then that sets off ALARM bells!

Weird things happen when you win. Sometimes people want you to enter their tournaments "so long as you don't win"!

I've played in certain "out of my area" tournaments and got the impression they don't like it when I win. (Because I am from out of the area - not a regular bar customer.) However when a local wins, they seem delighted.

Sort of like insurance companies. They like you to pay your monthly premiums, but they don't want to pay any claims ever.

I've seen some local money tournaments ban certain out of the area players. And I've seen a league restrict the players who are allowed to play on a team where the people wanting to play were very good players. They would not allow them to have a very good team.

Again, people get nasty when you win.

Stretch
01-30-2007, 09:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Very confusing.

You say it is an "in-house" league and you want to play your match some place else?

I'd kick you out too.

An in-house league plays in house. The owner gives up the tables for free so that people will come into his bar to spend money so that he can earn a living.

There must be a few more sides to this issue that you are not mentioning.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Ya for sure Jake there's always another side to a story like this. I agree that there's a lot more going on than has been mentioned. Sounds to me like there already has been some bad history between some of the players and the owner. Good relations aren't made on throwing down the money paid in and getting told to get the f@ck out unless there is provocation You know? Interesting that he made a point about not slandering the establishment and cryin about the equipment. First and second place teams you know that they are going to be some of the better players around (some of the worst complainers to ) They have influence, they want to play thier league game somewhere else? I don't think so especially if there's already bad blood you know? I don't want to sound unsympathetic to your friends personal life but that's what spares are for. Every team i've ever been on has had a rocky road personnel and attendance Wise. I'm sure you won't get any sympathy from the other teams. It's like too bad so sad, we've got a great crack at #1 now. It's an "in house league" come on. At least you got your money back. St. &lt;&lt; sorry for the ones caught in the cross fire &gt;&gt;

bradb
01-30-2007, 09:31 AM
I know that sometimes the only team play available is bar pool, but I've tried to stay with billiard club tournaments only. I've had some bad experiences with pool in bars. Those set ups are usually between friends and they resent people coming in who they are unfamiliar with. As mentioned by Billy Bob they think you are bringing in ringers if they lose.
Anywhere there is drinking and competition there can be trouble.

Ralph S.
01-30-2007, 11:03 AM
The tables in said house belong to a vendor. The same vendor has tables in a locale closer to home. Therefore, it should be allowed, espescially since the one player had to have his mother in the hospital to prep for cancer surgery at 4:00 A.M. the next morning.

Also, the same vendor holds the chater for both said locations. The bar owner coulda had some compassion or atleast understanding of the situation.

Ralph S.
01-30-2007, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BUT, when you say you were from out of the area AND your teams were running 1st and 2nd, then that sets off ALARM bells!

Weird things happen when you win. Sometimes people want you to enter their tournaments "so long as you don't win"!
<hr /></blockquote>

These guys have been playing in this bars league for several years now. So, forget implying that they are were there to rob the league.

mantis
01-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Some people get bent out of whack very easily. Sounds like the bar owner took the request the wrong way. Maybe if your friend went and talked to him after he has cooled down and explained the situation it would be better.

bradb
01-31-2007, 11:12 AM
We are all trying to answer your problem without all the details which sound very involved.
Mantis has a good point, approach the guy and try and solve it, if he's still a hot head best to bow out and find a new venue. Good luck, Brad

CDago
02-03-2007, 01:10 AM
OK, Check this out! I am one of the players from the opposing team (not kicked out) and just thought I should add to this conversation. You really have to know the bar owners of this "in house" league. Different group of folks.... They are adding $3000 to an 8 team league which only runs a little under 6 months. Great money added. We go up there for their Friday tournaments alot too. The tables are as to be expected for bar tables. Yes, of course, nobody likes getting bad rolls from a table error but it happens and we all know it. I am sure you guys are right about them not liking us to come in and take their money out of their town. There is no real competition there unless teams travel there from our city or another city nearby.

Anyways, It was bullshit and no one should have been kicked out of the league. It was a simple question and the answer was no so his team drove there and we were going to play. They tried to kick both of our teams out which would have been wrong. Also, They barred three of the players on the team they kicked out. It wasn't a good situation and has been blown was out of proportion. Just thought I would add my 2 cents!!!

Enor2
02-03-2007, 02:29 AM
A close friend of mine brought this forum to my attention and I am quite glad he did. I am currently finishing a letter that will explain everything from the horse's mouth so to speak. I am the team captain of the "black balled team" and feel strongly that others need to hear the situation and events. In about a day or two I will post the letter I am sending out to pool players all around our area and you can make a more informed decision and comment accordingly.

jjinfla
02-03-2007, 07:25 AM
What good will the letter do. You are banned by the owner. Life sucks. If you play blackjack and win in Vegas, guess what, you get banned there too. Clubs only want losers.

It is his bar, his tables, his rules. You don't like them open up your own bar.

The only important thing this Sunday is that the Bears will play "smash mouth" football and win the super Bowl. Nothing else matters in the whole world.

Monday is another matter.

Besides, some people will not even make it to monday.

Jake

bsmutz
02-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Aaah, how wonderful life would be if only everyone were so cynical...

SpiderMan
02-05-2007, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> Aaah, how wonderful life would be if only everyone were so cynical... <hr /></blockquote>

He was wrong about the bears too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpiderMan