PDA

View Full Version : Billiards/Pool Participation Trends for 2006

dunnm1
01-31-2007, 06:37 PM
How many people in the United States play Billiards/Pool? I have heard it is around 34.2 million. Where can I go to prove this number is correct without spend money.

slim
01-31-2007, 07:00 PM
Try SIGMA.

Shaft
02-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Is that SIGMA.com?
I've googled it and can't find these stats.

slim
02-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Here it is,just got a e notice today,
SGMA <insight@sgma.com>

Shaft
02-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks, Slim. This worked. I won't pay $95 for a 2006 report, but the 2002 report is free on the archives. Interesting reading.

cushioncrawler
02-02-2007, 04:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dunnm1:</font><hr> How many people in the United States play Billiards/Pool? I have heard it is around 34.2 million. Where can I go to prove this number is correct without spend money. <hr /></blockquote> Someone shood calculate the estimated speed of a ball having the total speed of all of the balls mooving at any one instant in the USA.

Or, the size of a ball reprezenting the combined wt of all of the balls mooving at any one time. Hmmmmmm. madMac.

WoodMonkey
02-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi,

Such numbers are meaningless. As a point of comparison, I played tournament chess for years. Now, probably at least 10% of Americans (around 30 million) know the rules of chess, which technically means that they "play" chess. However, the number of players who are in the US CHess Federation and play in tourneys is closer to 10,000. Further, there is no comparison between these 10,000 and the other 30 million. I mean, knowing the rules of the game is equivalent to knowing how to hold a stick in pool. As they say, "once you know the rules of the game, you know nothing about the game."

My question is how many serious pool players are out there. I mean, I know several excellent shooters who could be very serious players except they haven't got more than the most rudimentary grasp of cue ball control. So, even though they are better shooters than me, I can still beat them most of the time. To me, that is the most satisfying thing, to get the most out of your abilities by using your noggin'.

Just some thoughts,

Wood Monkey

Shaft
02-05-2007, 08:12 PM
I agree that certain measures tell us little about "serious" players. While the numbers certainly are not absolute, I would not agree that they are entirely meaningless. From these numbers (# who play once per year, # who play 3x per month), you can estimate (estimate only) a fraction that are serious. This leads to marketing information people can use. And I suspect a growing trend in casual players might reflect a growing trend in serious players, and vice versa. But, this information is not exactly what you are looking for.