Deeman3
01-31-2007, 07:49 PM
By David Gregory
Chief White House correspondent
NBC News
Updated: 48 minutes ago

David Gregory
Sen. Joseph Biden has launched his bid for the White House on the issue of Iraq, but Wednesday his campaign was sidetracked over race.

Like everybody these days Biden declared online, but it was old media that got him in trouble: Personal comments he made about another White House hopeful, Sen. Barack Obama, recorded by a reporter for the New York Observer.

"I mean, you've got the first sort of mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a story-book, man," Biden said.

Biden later called Obama and then spoke to reporters during a conference call saying Obama understood what he meant.

"This is a guy who's come along in a way that's captured the imagination of the country in a way that no one else has. That was the point of everything I was saying," Biden said.

But late Wednesday, Obama released a statement seizing on Biden's use of the word "articulate."

"I didn't take Sen. Biden's comments personally, but obviously they were historically inaccurate," Obama said. "African-American presidential candidates like Jesse Jackson, Shirley Chisholm, Carol Moseley Braun and Al Sharpton gave a voice to many important issues through their campaigns, and no one would call them inarticulate."

Civil rights leader Jesse Jackson said Wednesday night, "It was a gaffe. It was not an intentional racially pejorative statement. It could be interpreted that way, but that's not what he meant."

Biden, who admits he has a tendency to bloviate, has made indelicate remarks before. Last year, speaking about Indian-Americans, he said, "You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. It's a point. I'm not joking!"

Biden's first presidential run 20 years ago was undone after evidence emerged that he plagiarized a speech from a British politician Neil Kinnock.

In the interview with the New York Observer, Biden also came out swinging against his rivals over the war. He said about John Edwards, who wants to remove troops from Iraq immediately, "OK, John, what about the chaos that will ensue? Do we have any interest, John, left in the region?"

And about Sen. Hillary Clinton's plan to put a cap on U.S. forces now in Iraq: "Cap our troops, and withdraw support for the Iraqis. Now that's a real good idea. I'm not being a wise guy here, no, no. Think about it."

Fearing the political damage of his comments Wednesday night, Biden released a statement saying, "I deeply regret any offense my remark in the New York Observer might have caused anyone. That was not my intent and I expressed that to Sen. Obama."

2007 MSNBC Interactive

<font color="blue"> I don't want to start WWIII here, that's GWB's job. However, this is a somewhat uninteresting story about a couple of odd but overall harmless remarks by Sen. Joe Biden that David Gregory did yesterday. Now, I don't know that the Democrats that responded so nicely about the incident were biased but, as I said, I didn't think the remarks were that harmful. If the offender had been a right wing candidate would the story have had the same content?

My question, if GWB or a Republican Senator would have made even these same comments would those same Democrats be cutting him the same slack? I don't think so. However, if it's not what some might label as media bias, why is the article not identifying Mr. Biden's party affiliation? Not one mention of it. Do any of us seriously believe even if the article had played down the impact of the ofender's words, wouldn't the reporting have put the word Republican after the offender's name?

Please tell me the media is not biased to the left.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
</font color> DeeMan

Gayle in MD
01-31-2007, 09:38 PM
LOL, You're kidding, right? Is there anyone who would be reading a political story, or interested in watching the news, who doesn't know that Joe Biden is a Democrat? He's only been in the Senate for thirty years. Do you think they would put an R in front of Newt? Or a D in front of Nancy? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Qtec
01-31-2007, 09:38 PM
"I mean, you've got the first sort of mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a story-book, man," Biden said.

Is J Jackson clean looking?
Is Al Sharpton a nice looking guy?
etc,
Biden never implied that Obama was the first Af/Am /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif to be articulate.

Q.....just an observation.

eg8r
02-01-2007, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My question, if GWB or a Republican Senator would have made even these same comments would those same Democrats be cutting him the same slack? <hr /></blockquote> No. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves.

eg8r

eg8r
02-01-2007, 06:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is J Jackson clean looking?
Is Al Sharpton a nice looking guy?
<hr /></blockquote> They probably take a bath but they are not included because Biden said, "articulate and bright". /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

hondo
02-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Hmmm. Conspiracy theory?
Why did the Republican cross the road?
To stir up [censored] on the other side.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> By David Gregory
NBC News
Updated: 48 minutes ago

David Gregory
Sen. Joseph Biden has launched his bid for the White House on the issue of Iraq, but Wednesday his campaign was sidetracked over race.

Like everybody these days Biden declared online, but it was old media that got him in trouble: Personal comments he made about another White House hopeful, Sen. Barack Obama, recorded by a reporter for the New York Observer.

Biden later called Obama and then spoke to reporters during a conference call saying Obama understood what he meant.

"This is a guy who's come along in a way that's captured the imagination of the country in a way that no one else has. That was the point of everything I was saying," Biden said.

But late Wednesday, Obama released a statement seizing on Biden's use of the word "articulate."

"I didn't take Sen. Biden's comments personally, but obviously they were historically inaccurate," Obama said. "African-American presidential candidates like Jesse Jackson, Shirley Chisholm, Carol Moseley Braun and Al Sharpton gave a voice to many important issues through their campaigns, and no one would call them inarticulate."

Civil rights leader Jesse Jackson said Wednesday night, "It was a gaffe. It was not an intentional racially pejorative statement. It could be interpreted that way, but that's not what he meant."

Biden, who admits he has a tendency to bloviate, has made indelicate remarks before. Last year, speaking about Indian-Americans, he said, "You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. It's a point. I'm not joking!"

Biden's first presidential run 20 years ago was undone after evidence emerged that he plagiarized a speech from a British politician Neil Kinnock.

In the interview with the New York Observer, Biden also came out swinging against his rivals over the war. He said about John Edwards, who wants to remove troops from Iraq immediately, "OK, John, what about the chaos that will ensue? Do we have any interest, John, left in the region?"

And about Sen. Hillary Clinton's plan to put a cap on U.S. forces now in Iraq: "Cap our troops, and withdraw support for the Iraqis. Now that's a real good idea. I'm not being a wise guy here, no, no. Think about it."

Fearing the political damage of his comments Wednesday night, Biden released a statement saying, "I deeply regret any offense my remark in the New York Observer might have caused anyone. That was not my intent and I expressed that to Sen. Obama."

2007 MSNBC Interactive

<font color="blue"> I don't want to start WWIII here, that's GWB's job. However, this is a somewhat uninteresting story about a couple of odd but overall harmless remarks by Sen. Joe Biden that David Gregory did yesterday. Now, I don't know that the Democrats that responded so nicely about the incident were biased but, as I said, I didn't think the remarks were that harmful. If the offender had been a right wing candidate would the story have had the same content?

My question, if GWB or a Republican Senator would have made even these same comments would those same Democrats be cutting him the same slack? I don't think so. However, if it's not what some might label as media bias, why is the article not identifying Mr. Biden's party affiliation? Not one mention of it. Do any of us seriously believe even if the article had played down the impact of the ofender's words, wouldn't the reporting have put the word Republican after the offender's name?

Please tell me the media is not biased to the left.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
</font color> DeeMan
<hr /></blockquote>

Gayle in MD
02-01-2007, 09:51 AM
LOL, /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Poor Joe, although I know he meant to say...

"I mean, you've got the first sort of mainstream African-American. And he is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a story-book, man," Biden said.

Too bad, this is a non story, and Joe will be completely misrepresented over and over. It's a shame, he's a good man, and one of the few who doesn't speak in the non speak style political code. I've always admired him for responding directly to questions, and having such a good grasp particularly on foreign affairs.

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
02-01-2007, 10:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> LOL, /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Poor Joe, although I know he meant to say...

<font color="red"> Please share with us how you pretend to know what someone meant to say. Have you been working on your ESP??? </font color>

"I mean, you've got the first sort of mainstream African-American. And he is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a story-book, man," Biden said.

Too bad, this is a non story, and Joe will be completely misrepresented over and over. It's a shame, he's a good man, <font color="red"> Do you know him personally? How do you know he is a "good man"??? </font color> and one of the few who doesn't speak in the non speak style political code. I've always admired him for responding directly to questions, and having such a good grasp particularly on foreign affairs.

Gayle in Md.
<font color="red"> Never met a Democrat she didn't admire! </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

hondo
02-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Take the word " first" out of his quote and he's
home free. If I was running for office, I'd be
afraid to speak.
Once on Az I said I thought Jewish humor was over-
represented in the entertainment business.
Man, I wasn't just called anti-semitic; I was
compared to Hitler.I was told the damage I did by my
comments was irreperable. My Jewish friends laughed
and told me I had a big mouth but I was really beaten
down by the attack I received.

Gayle in MD
02-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Yes, I know him personally. I saw the interview, and I am stating my opinion. He happens to admire Obama. I don't "Pretend" anything. I leave that to the Bush Administration, and a small but verbal segment of our great south, the Bubba Population, who is always long on opinion, and short on knowlege and education, hence, their first solution to the worlds problems, is to go for their weapons, and leave their few brains in the drawer.

Any other questions?

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
02-01-2007, 10:51 AM
LOL, well, anytime you state the truth, you take that risk. The entertainment business is chock full of Jewish people. Now, why is that an attack? Once Biden was in a community that had a large population of people from India, and acknowledged that in a statemtent, which was meant to be a positive reference to our melting pot, and he got bashed for that, too. The politics of personal destruction, it's a Republican thing, and their favorite tool, of late.

Gayle in Md.

hondo
02-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Once I made a comment in front of 3 black guys who were
friendly acquaintances of mine.
One looked at the other 2 and said, " That sounds like something a white boy would say."
I replied, " Listen, we're either friends or we're not.
If we're friends I shouldn't have to worry about what a
white boy might say. If we're not friends, you can kiss
my ass."
The one started laughing and said," He sure cut through
our bulls**t, brothers." Then everybody, including me,
laughed, high fived, and it was over.

Deeman3
02-01-2007, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> LOL, You're kidding, right? Is there anyone who would be reading a political story, or interested in watching the news, who doesn't know that Joe Biden is a Democrat? He's only been in the Senate for thirty years. Do you think they would put an R in front of Newt? Or a D in front of Nancy? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Nope, not kidding. The stories about all the political mistakes of the Republicans, for instance, involving the senate pages, identified the culprit as a Republican. It is customary to place a (D) or (R) after the title of a national office holder. It just seems strange they omit that in these democrat caces....</font color>

DeeMan
not a major thing, but bias nonetheless

Gayle in MD
02-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Maybe,.... maybe it was just a mistake. They certainly used the word Democrat when it was reported on MSNBC, which has it's share of righties, Scarborough, Tucker, Russert, among others.

pooltchr
02-01-2007, 02:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Yes, I know him personally. I saw the interview, and I am stating my opinion. <font color="red">You didn't say it was your opinion...you said "I know" </font color> He happens to admire Obama. I don't "Pretend" anything. <font color="red"> I think you pretend to be open minded, but that's just my opinion. </font color> I leave that to the Bush Administration, and a small but verbal segment of our great south, the Bubba Population, who is always long on opinion, and short on knowlege and education, hence, their first solution to the worlds problems, is to go for their weapons, and leave their few brains in the drawer. <font color="red"> That's the Gayle we all know and love...when in doubt, go for the biggoted insults and name calling! Does your opinion of southerners as the "Bubba Population apply to several recent presidents (Johnson, Carter, Clinton) who were all from the south??? </font color>

Any other questions?

Since you asked....Do you really think you are so superior to those who happen to hold to a different set of values than you? Do you really think all southerners are stupid? Do you really think all Republicans are evil? Do you really think the Democrats are the saviors of the country? Do you really even think?????????????

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

Bobbyrx
02-01-2007, 02:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Yes, I know him personally. I saw the interview, and I am stating my opinion. He happens to admire Obama. I don't "Pretend" anything. I leave that to the Bush Administration, and a small but verbal segment of our great south, the Bubba Population, who is always long on opinion, and short on knowlege and education, hence, their first solution to the worlds problems, is to go for their weapons, and leave their few brains in the drawer.
Any other questions?
<font color="blue"> Yeah, in the south with the Bubba population can you go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent? </font color>

Deeman3
02-01-2007, 02:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Maybe,.... maybe it was just a mistake. They certainly used the word Democrat when it was reported on MSNBC, which has it's share of righties, Scarborough, Tucker, Russert, among others. <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe...I wasn't saying the vast conspiracy thing, just noting that this seems to happen a lot. I guess most won't argue his characterization of past minority candidates but I just think the volume and slant may have been different if a Republican had made the mistake. I won't argue that the right would ignore his party affiliation, just that it is something to note.

DeeMan
no harm, no foul...

hondo
02-02-2007, 10:30 AM
<font color="blue"> Yeah, in the south with the Bubba population can you go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent? </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

LOL! There you go. Quoting Joe Biden.

hondo
02-02-2007, 10:33 AM
IMO, there's good bubbas and bad bubbas. Good bubbas
think and act like me. I do think that Gayle should have
made a distinction.

Gayle in MD
02-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Steve, unfortunately I am blessed with a Metropolitan apptitude for spotting the proverbial Red Neck, which I fear would escape your vast global knowledge of world issues.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gayle in MD
02-02-2007, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>
small but verbal segment of our great south, the Bubba Population
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

Can you really even read?

Gayle in MD
02-02-2007, 11:01 AM
I did make a Distinction, I said, small but verbal population of bubbas, in our great south. I also have applauded a number of Republicans in recent weeks.

Is there any doubt that there exists a Bubba Population in the south? I certainly didn't include every southerner, just the select few, comparatively speaking. But, alas, the point is lost. Diplomacy, nevertheless, has great value. I notice, as I listen to the call in C-Span program, the militant Bubbas who invaribly call from the southern states, and their theme is pro gun, pro war, pro bombs, kill em' all, every one, torture torture torture, even if the recipients just happen to be there in the midst of a battle in which they share no involvment. I have a word for that kind of thinking, which IMO fits the personality of that ideology. Nothing does it like Bubba! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I never called all those from the south, Bubbas, but they do exist. Just tune into C-Span!

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
02-02-2007, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Steve, unfortunately I am blessed with a Metropolitan apptitude for spotting the proverbial Red Neck, which I fear would escape your vast global knowledge of world issues.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

It is this self-proclaimed superiority based on geographic location that helps all of us understand the origin of the term "Damn Yankees". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Some of us were brought up to understand that none of us is better than others, particularly because of cultural background, geography, political viewpoints, or any such criteria. I always thought we were all equal. Thank you for enlightening me. I now understand that red-necks are supposed to be looked down upon. Is there any other group I should include in this classification, based on your superior metropolitan aptitude?

Steve

Steve

Gayle in MD
02-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Well, as a matter of fact, you could include skin heads, the KKK, violent gangs and the far right evangelical media moguls. If I come up with more, I'll let you know. But hey, this is America, and I would fight for their right to be ignorant, uninformed and a threat to a peaceful society, LMAO.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bobbyrx
02-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I was hoping someone would catch that /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Somehow the thread has gone from Biden to Bubba

Deeman3
02-02-2007, 12:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bobbyrx:</font><hr> I was hoping someone would catch that /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Somehow the thread has gone from Biden to Bubba <hr /></blockquote>

It does seem rather funny that the one and only candidate they have been able to elect in the last quarter century is the chief Bubba himself, Billy Bob Clinton.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DeeMan

eg8r
02-02-2007, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But hey, this is America, and I would fight for their right to be ignorant, uninformed and a threat to a peaceful society, LMAO.
<hr /></blockquote> Well, if I did not think you were lying here I would not remind you we are in the middle of a war and we could use all the help we can get. Sign up with your local recruiter, Dick will give you a ride.

eg8r