PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new Table!!! Help Please!

Plantec
01-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Could anyone give me a more experienced opinion. I have been playing my whole life but never owned a table. I have 5 and 7 year old sons and a 14ft by 26ft playroom that is just right for a table. I am looking for something in the $1500 to $2500 range. I like to look of Black Laminate (formica) with electric blue felt. I am looking at the Brunswick Geneva (Contender Series), Olhausen Springfield, or C. L. Bailey Addison. Am I on the right track. All are are aroung $1800 and include pretty good accessaries. And all have framed or backed 1" slate.

The Brunswick guy recommends Mali felt, the Olhausen guy recommends Simonis, and the CL Bailey guy recommends Championship Titan. I have no idea which is best or which manufacturer is best.

Or, is it worth the extra $1000 to $1500 to buy a higher end Brunswick (like the Metro, I can get it for $3100 total)or a higher end Olhausen?..

Any thoughts?

caedos
02-01-2007, 10:25 AM
14ft seems a bit close for anything but a 7' table, and that will still be a squeeze. In choosing a table, once you get past sound engineering and some setup preferences... the rest is fairly cosmetic. Olhausen Accufast cushions are the best, and now show up on other brands of tables occasionally. I don't know about C.L. Bailey tables, and what I found on the Internet doesn't tell me what the framing looks likes. That being the case, I would recommend the Olhausen. They build a great table you can be happy with for years to come.

Also, search the archives and may find some thoughts from other posters on this board.

Carl

bradb
02-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Those are all good brands. The Simonis 860 clothe is most popular. If you spend more for all wood you're in the fancy furniture catagorie with carved legs etc. If a good basic table is all you need sounds like you are on track to me.

BigRigTom
02-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Your room size sound perfect to me. 14' wide is 2 inches more for a 9 foot than the minimum recommended by Brunswick.
Check out this info page for Brunswick Room Size Requirements. (http://www.brunswickbilliards.com/helpful_information/room_size_requirements.html) I found it a great guide.

As for your table choices, I like the Brunswick. I have an older table made in 1974. It is an 8' pro (46"x92" playing surface) and I practically stole it from a guy who just plain didn't want it anymore. It is 33 years old and plays absolutely great!
Definitely get the Simonis 860, I elected the Championship Ultra and while it is really nice I am still sort of kicking myself for not going with the Simonis. It will be the next cover my table get though. I have learned the hard way.
Good luck either way.

mantis
02-01-2007, 09:24 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with Brunswick or Olhausen. I personally shy away from the contender series. You will notice that they are made by brunswick, but they do not like to actually put their name on the table. If you are going to spend that much, you might as well pay a little more for a nicer table. I got my 8' Brunswick bradford for $2400. I would jus tlook at the designs you like for either of the two, and get which ever you like the most at the best price.

Almost all tournaments are played on Simonis 860. It seems to be the most popular, and does play well.

Plantec
02-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the input guys... after further research I agree on the Brunswick Contender series comment... and the same for the Olhausen Springfield... they don't even put their logo on the tables. One additional question:... Is it worth upgrading to the Super Aramith Pro ball set??

bradb
02-03-2007, 09:22 AM
I went with the premium set myself. There is a slight difference which is no big deal to me but players who do a lot of tourney play like the Pro set. Whenever I do get in a game it takes me only a few shots to adapt.