PDA

View Full Version : Review: Joe Tuckers 3rd Eye Stroke Trainer

Chopstick
02-01-2007, 08:30 AM
http://www.joetucker.net/PRODUCT1.jpg

When I first saw this thing I thought it was silly. That is because, at the time, I did not understand what it was actually for. I have a problem with my vision. I don't mean near sighted or far sighted. I mean that the visual image I see when I am shooting a shot is not correct. My stick doesn't even look like it's lined up straight with the shot. Over the last thirty years I have learned to play reasonably well but I have a ceiling that I cannot get through. I just can not get any better no matter how much I practice. It is because of errors in my visual alignment.

Joe explains this far better than I could on his web site. He has the DVD that comes with the Stroke Trainer posted there. You will need a Quick Time plugin for your browser to play it. Go to www.joetucker.net. (http://www.joetucker.net.) Select previews the on the right you will see a line that says Third Eye Stroke trainer with the numbers (1) (2) (3). Click on these and it will play one of the three sections of the movie. This is excellent information and I would recommend everyone watch these whether you decide to buy the product or not.

I have every one of the problems he describes, in spades. I have spent the last two years trying different setups and strokes trying to get a setup that would produce consistent shots. No matter what I did, on long straight in draw shots , four out of five times the cueball would come back with spin on it that I did not intend to have.

I did all that work thinking that I just have to get a better stroke or alignment and that was not the problem. It is my eyes. I could not have ever known how bad it was until I got this gizmo. When I got it mounted on my stick and put it behind the cue ball, I immediately went and got out my calipers and T-squares and started measuring it because it was not straight. The bars were bent to the right and the tip was not in the center of the cue ball.

After a few minutes measuring, I was convinced that it was straight so, I tried shooting some straight in shots. I could not make a ball. Some of them I missed by a half a diamond. I was shocked. After using it a short while my stroke began to change into the correct alignment and I can now draw the ball back with no side spin, every time.

Joe, this product is the nuts. Thank you for making it. As with all of Joe's products, it is A+ quality and the DVD is well organized and professionally presented.

If you decide to buy this product, DO NOT try to put it on your stick before you see the installations on the DVD. You WILL break it. I did. It is guaranteed and I emailed Joe and he promptly sent me another one.

dr_dave
02-01-2007, 08:40 AM
For people who don't hit center ball when they think they are, or for people who refuse to believe that they might not be hitting center ball when they are convinced they are, Joe's product might help.

(unintentional squirt, swerve, and throw) = (can't run 3 balls)

Regards,
Dave

Chopstick
02-01-2007, 08:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> For people who don't hit center ball when they think they are, or for people who refuse to believe that they might not be hitting center ball when they are convinced they are, Joe's product might help.

(unintentional squirt, swerve, and throw) = (can't run 3 balls)

Regards,
Dave <hr /></blockquote>

Well said, thanks for adding that.

IA8baller
02-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Here's a great shot drill to test center ball hit with.............. Put the cue ball on the spot at the headstring, shoot downtable to the center diamond and leave your cue in it's end position after follow through and don't move it, the cue ball will bounce off the bottom rail and come straight back to the tip of your cue if you hit it dead straight to that diamond with true center ball hit. This also takes a very good stroke to accomplish this. I've found it to be a great practice drill over the years. If you hit just slightly off center on the cue ball it will not come back to your tip, just 1/4 tip off of center and you'll know it. You must also hit exactly to the diamond for it to come back to your tip, so it really is accomplishing 2 practices at once, maybe 3 since it also encourages dead straight follow-through on your stroke. I will sometimes put 2 balls on either side of the bottom/center diamond with just enough room for the cue ball to go between them to make sure I'm hitting dead on the diamond. Try it if you haven't, it's an eye opener if you don't have a good, true stroke/follow through and you'll definitely know if you're hitting center ball or not.

ceebee
02-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Nice post Chopstick. Joe's 3rd Eye Trainer is a great product. A lot of players will find they will hit the parallels, when they first use the product. Once in a while, that was my initial problem.

Joe used the 3rd Eye Trainer on his cue, in our Break Shot Booth at Valley Forge, Joe never knocked one parallel off, in 4 days of shooting Break Shots. How is that for STRAIGHT STROKIN"...

$8 ain't much for a tool to learn something with.

jt10ball
02-02-2007, 06:38 AM
Thank you for posting this, got my day off to a nice start!
To anyone that does visit the site, make sure to check out the free video workouts under the new video school button.
That rail workout gets results.

bluey2king
02-02-2007, 08:20 AM
I saw his web site and I thought he presented his products well. He sure does have good stroke!
Any reviews on his other products?
DVD Racking?
Training program?

I am thinking of buying his package or Phil Cappelle DVD
with Efran and Mike Seigel.
Any Comments?
Thanks

Chopstick
02-02-2007, 08:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr> I saw his web site and I thought he presented his products well. He sure does have good stroke!
Any reviews on his other products?
DVD Racking?
Training program?

I am thinking of buying his package or Phil Cappelle DVD
with Efran and Mike Seigel.
Any Comments?
Thanks
<hr /></blockquote>

I have these products and I will be posting additional reviews.

cushioncrawler
02-02-2007, 04:57 PM
I karnt see how vizion can be improoved in a short while. A long while mightbe. And, our vizion is constantly changing, for sure. Here i dont really mean our eyesight as such, i mean our "perception" of line and aim etc.

I allso went throo the "screwing straight back with zero side" thing, and still do. But, i karnt see how your perception can possible improov in a hurry. I can see how one might allow for bad perception -- u can do this on day one, but, constantly allowing for bad perception "feels bad", and i doubt that many players could profit by it.

The simple solution. Try a bent cue (not u -- i am talking to others here). If that duznt work, try one with a bigger bend. Problem fixed, ie qball now kumz straight back with zero side. But, everybody iz different i guess. madMac.

JimS
02-04-2007, 07:41 PM
This product review got me to click on Joe's website link and I ordered the gadget. I've had the Racking Secrets and Drill book for several years. DVD's are too hard to take to the table with me. I'd rather have books. Or maybe a book and a DVD.

BigRigTom
02-06-2007, 12:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> This product review got me to click on Joe's website link and I ordered the gadget. I've had the Racking Secrets and Drill book for several years. DVD's are too hard to take to the table with me. I'd rather have books. Or maybe a book and a DVD. <hr /></blockquote>

Yep! Me Too!
Joe must be selling a lot of stuff as a result of this review....at least he is getting the click throughs!

I can only say that watching Joe shoot those drills in the training video, I was impressed. He has a great stroke and a great eye, great perception of the shot line, great perception of the contact point on the object ball...etc, etc, etc.....
I have his drills book and those are some tough drills, I also bought a set of the Sharpshooter Stickers and they are a real help in visualizing the contact point and the ghost ball aiming technique. I endorse their effectiveness fully.
Now if I could only run 3 fricking balls!#@$@#%^

SPetty
02-06-2007, 03:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> I also bought a set of the Sharpshooter Stickers and they are a real help in visualizing the contact point and the ghost ball aiming technique. <hr /></blockquote>What is a Sharpshooter Sticker?

BigRigTom
02-06-2007, 04:36 PM
They are reusable plastic clinging stickers that when placed on the table allow you to accurately place an object ball in the same spot over and over and at the same time give the position of the ghost ball. The sticker looks a little like a figure 8, black with white markings that indicate the OB spot and the position of the ghost ball so you use that at the target to make the shot.

This is a lot harder to explain than I originally thought it would be.
I don't see pictures on the web anywhere, I'll take a couple of photos and post them here for you to see.
They are simple but effective....IMO.

BigRigTom
02-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Image of the Sharpshooter Sticker...

http://www.BigRigToys.com/lib/bigrigtoystore/SmallSharpshooterSticker.jpg

Deeman3
02-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Chopstick,

At last years Derby City I think they gave me one with my Inside Pool subscription. I still have it but dismissed it as the CD would not do anything in my computer. Maybe I should try again.

"Over the years I've learned to play reasonably well..."

I'd say that's an understatement! You play jam up....

DeeMan
yes, once a victim of Chopstick's "reasonably well"

dr_dave
02-07-2007, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> They are reusable plastic clinging stickers that when placed on the table allow you to accurately place an object ball in the same spot over and over and at the same time give the position of the ghost ball. The sticker looks a little like a figure 8, black with white markings that indicate the OB spot and the position of the ghost ball so you use that at the target to make the shot.<hr /></blockquote>I think the methods demonstrated in NV 3.1 (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/NV3-1.htm) and NV 3.2 (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/NV3-2.htm) are a much better for practicing ghost-ball and contact point visualization. You can use striped balls with the center of the number of the OB placed at the necessary contact point. The methods are very visual and provide great feedback when trying to improve your aiming visualization and intuition. Also, they don't require special equipment; although, it helps to have a friendly assistant.

Regards,
Dave

BigRigTom
02-07-2007, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> They are reusable plastic clinging stickers that when placed on the table allow you to accurately place an object ball in the same spot over and over and at the same time give the position of the ghost ball. The sticker looks a little like a figure 8, black with white markings that indicate the OB spot and the position of the ghost ball so you use that at the target to make the shot.<hr /></blockquote>I think the methods demonstrated in NV 3.1 (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/NV3-1.htm) and NV 3.2 (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/NV3-2.htm) are a much better for practicing ghost-ball and contact point visualization. You can use striped balls with the center of the number of the OB placed at the necessary contact point. The methods are very visual and provide great feedback when trying to improve your aiming visualization and intuition. Also, they don't require special equipment; although, it helps to have a friendly assistant.

Regards,
Dave <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with you Dr. Dave, that the methods you demonstrate in those videos are great for visualizing and practicing the aiming line, contact point, ghost ball ideas and I have used them my self a great deal.

The things I found helpful by using those sharpshooter stickers was that you can shoot the same shot over and over using the same ball or different balls. If you have several shots that are troublesome (like I do), you can place several stickers on the table where you need them then switch from one shot to another to avoid the boredom setting in.

I also have experienced a bit of the mental/visual/optical imprint phenomenon (my own label), similar to that trick of stariing at a black dot for a while then looking away from the dot at a white wall and you'll see the dot on the wall. After shooting a shot for a while I can take away the sticker and I still can easily visulize the position of that white circle and red dot center of the ghost ball position regardless where the object ball is laying.

I believe it is that bright white ring on the shiny black back ground and maybe the bright red dot in the middle of the bright white circle has something to do with it......what ever it is.....I like it. As a matter of fact, that photo I posted, sort of looks 3 dimensional! I assure you it is not.

Maybe those stickers are not for everyone but I like them and I am a true believer in using what ever works for me even if others think it silly. I don't feel the need to convince them otherwise, to each his own. I just share my own experiences so that other who choose to can benefit from all my efforts to improve my game.

dr_dave
02-07-2007, 11:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> They are reusable plastic clinging stickers that when placed on the table allow you to accurately place an object ball in the same spot over and over and at the same time give the position of the ghost ball. The sticker looks a little like a figure 8, black with white markings that indicate the OB spot and the position of the ghost ball so you use that at the target to make the shot.<hr /></blockquote>I think the methods demonstrated in NV 3.1 (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/NV3-1.htm) and NV 3.2 (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/NV3-2.htm) are a much better for practicing ghost-ball and contact point visualization. You can use striped balls with the center of the number of the OB placed at the necessary contact point. The methods are very visual and provide great feedback when trying to improve your aiming visualization and intuition. Also, they don't require special equipment; although, it helps to have a friendly assistant.

Regards,
Dave <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with you Dr. Dave, that the methods you demonstrate in those videos are great for visualizing and practicing the aiming line, contact point, ghost ball ideas and I have used them my self a great deal.

The things I found helpful by using those sharpshooter stickers was that you can shoot the same shot over and over using the same ball or different balls. If you have several shots that are troublesome (like I do), you can place several stickers on the table where you need them then switch from one shot to another to avoid the boredom setting in.

I also have experienced a bit of the mental/visual/optical imprint phenomenon (my own label), similar to that trick of stariing at a black dot for a while then looking away from the dot at a white wall and you'll see the dot on the wall. After shooting a shot for a while I can take away the sticker and I still can easily visulize the position of that white circle and red dot center of the ghost ball position regardless where the object ball is laying.

I believe it is that bright white ring on the shiny black back ground and maybe the bright red dot in the middle of the bright white circle has something to do with it......what ever it is.....I like it. As a matter of fact, that photo I posted, sort of looks 3 dimensional! I assure you it is not.

Maybe those stickers are not for everyone but I like them and I am a true believer in using what ever works for me even if others think it silly. I don't feel the need to convince them otherwise, to each his own. I just share my own experiences so that other who choose to can benefit from all my efforts to improve my game. <hr /></blockquote>
You make some good points. I still prefer the "white donuts" (stick-on hole reinforcement labels available at offic supplu stores) and using an actual ball for the ghost ball. After a while, you will be able to visualize the ghost ball like the actual ball sitting there.

Dave

HALHOULE
10-09-2007, 07:39 PM
AND WHEN YOU PLAY IN THE TOURNAMENTS, DO YOU HOLD UP THe GADGET IN THE AIR OR LAY IT ON THE TABLE ???

dr_dave
10-10-2007, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HALHOULE:</font><hr> AND WHEN YOU PLAY IN THE TOURNAMENTS, DO YOU HOLD UP THe GADGET IN THE AIR OR LAY IT ON THE TABLE ???<hr /></blockquote>I don't use Joe's gizmo; but if I did, I would use it only for its intended purpose ... it is a "training aid" not a "playing aid."

Dave

HALHOULE
10-10-2007, 07:17 PM
WHEN THE TOURNAMENT STARTS, CAN YOU LAY THE EYE STROKE TRAINER ON THE TABLE OR HOLD IT HIGH IN THE AIR. INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW.

wolfdancer
10-10-2007, 07:21 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hal, you ain't lost your sense of humor!!!

wolfdancer
10-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Chop, folks may also like Joe's latest training aid...the well
designed laser trainer.
Joe's missing out on the big $$ though...he should be inventing for Golf, not pool.

HALHOULE
10-10-2007, 08:00 PM
WHY PRACTICE INVISIBLE GHOST BALL. OR INVISABLE CONTACT POINT, OR INVISABLE OBJECT BALL. CONTACT POINT.
EVERTHING IS INVISABLE, GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

HALHOULE
10-10-2007, 08:20 PM
ONE AIM POINT ON CUE BALL, VISABLE, ALL SHOTS

ONE AIMPOINT ON OBJECT BALL, VISABLE, ALL SHOTS

stikapos
10-15-2007, 10:46 AM
If Joe invented training aides for Golf, you're right...he'd be rich! I would love to see those who reach for the magic fix in a $500 titanium driver go through one of Joe's instructional sessions! They'd be pitching that stick in no time!!! For now, be thankful that he stands for the principle that those of little talent, through hard work and discipline, can achieve satisfying results on the squared felt circle. Add the "Fork" to Joe's aiming balls and I guaronnnnfreeakinteee that you will improve! Of course, that might make your APA rating harder to maintain, but hey, that's life. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tim

wolfdancer
10-15-2007, 04:29 PM
You're not really telling Mr. Houle, an octogenarian who has invented many aiming systems, that his league rating will improve if he gets one of Joe's aiming tools?
Even Joe would find that amusing.
By the way, I think all of Joe's "stuff" is first-rate, well thought out, and well designed. He's also one heck of a pool player.....and nice guy to do business with.
After seeing him, on video, make that impossible bank 3 out of 4 tries and hang the 4th....they might have to rewrite that old saying "the difficult we do today, the impossible take a little longer"
Joe makes the "impossible" look easy...

cushioncrawler
10-15-2007, 07:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HALHOULE:</font><hr> ONE AIM POINT ON CUE BALL, VISABLE, ALL SHOTS
ONE AIMPOINT ON OBJECT BALL, VISABLE, ALL SHOTS<hr /></blockquote>HH -- But then it seemz to me that one would havta uze feel for the actual stroke -- I mean, one would havta allmost ignore the pozzy and line of the cue, and the qtip contact on the qball. This brand of "feel" iz what i mentioned earlyr, ie it iz definitely do-able (with praktis, az uzual) -- or have i derailed here.

Allso, duz one look at the vizible bit of the qball last-thing during the stroke, or duz one look at the vizible bit of the OB, or ????? madMac.

HALHOULE
06-13-2008, 07:31 AM
THERE IS A METHOD FOR POCKETING ANY AND ALL SHOTS
WITH ONE EXACT AIM. THINK ABOUT IT.

Joeyjay
06-13-2008, 08:05 AM
When Hal Houle speaks, listen, he knows. He has forgotten more than all of you now posting know. Show him his proper respect, one day he will be gone, and you will miss him. He is a treasure to have around now. Instead of arguing with him over aiming concepts, most of what he has, is above you all's limited intellect any way, ask him about road stories of his time with Greenleaf.

Yes, I like Joe, but that aim method, the book, all those aim points and the practice balls with the numbers on them. It might help a total beginner to grasp it, but beyond that, it is of no use to any one who can run 4 balls in a row.

I took one of his graduate students who said he had mastered the system, read the book and could make it work. This was a very smart guy, sort of a nerd, not your typical pool bum with a 9 IQ from Edison, NJ.

I wanted to put this on a teaching video I was filming. So I let the guy explain the entire system and hoped I could push some sales for Joe with it. When he got done, it was so boring, so confusing, I tossed the film into the trash. It would take him 45 seconds to calculate and line up a shot. The average pro takes 2 to 3 seconds, because he is not aiming, he is playing by instinct, visualization and memory.

Pros don't use aiming systems, only you beginners and bangers do.

I also find the 3rd eye useless. I have found that 95% of everyone I have tested, cannot hit the center of the cue ball, because they have not been trained to do so. You can train your self to find that spot by simply using an Elephant training ball, or a stripe and practicing the lag 20 times a day. When the stripe rolls over, you twisted. If the ball does not come back to your tip, you missed the center. When I find a student who has grooved his hit l/8" right of center, he thinks he is hitting center, but is always hitting right, putting unkown, unwanted English on the ball, I have him line up normal, then shift a tad left until the ball rolls pure and until he reprograms the proper hit point.

Over all I find most gadgets in golf or pool to be total BS for the dumb or desperate. Like that little box you lag into and a green light comes on. I do use the stroke trainer board, and the breakrak. So I don't put them all down.

jt10ball
06-14-2008, 08:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joeyjay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I like Joe, but that aim method, the book, all those aim points and the practice balls with the numbers on them. It might help a total beginner to grasp it, but beyond that, it is of no use to any one who can run 4 balls in a row.
I took one of his graduate students who said he had mastered the system, read the book and could make it work. This was a very smart guy, sort of a nerd, not your typical pool bum with a 9 IQ from Edison, NJ.

I wanted to put this on a teaching video I was filming. So I let the guy explain the entire system and hoped I could push some sales for Joe with it. When he got done, it was so boring, so confusing, I tossed the film into the trash. It would take him 45 seconds to calculate and line up a shot. The average pro takes 2 to 3 seconds, because he is not aiming, he is playing by instinct, visualization and memory.

Pros don't use aiming systems, only you beginners and bangers do.

I also find the 3rd eye useless. I have found that 95% of everyone I have tested, cannot hit the center of the cue ball, because they have not been trained to do so. You can train your self to find that spot by simply using an Elephant training ball, or a stripe and practicing the lag 20 times a day. When the stripe rolls over, you twisted. If the ball does not come back to your tip, you missed the center. When I find a student who has grooved his hit l/8" right of center, he thinks he is hitting center, but is always hitting right, putting unkown, unwanted English on the ball, I have him line up normal, then shift a tad left until the ball rolls pure and until he reprograms the proper hit point.

Over all I find most gadgets in golf or pool to be total BS for the dumb or desperate. Like that little box you lag into and a green light comes on. I do use the stroke trainer board, and the breakrak. So I don't put them all down. </div></div>
I can’t believe the crap I have to listen or go thru sometimes. Yeah you sound like a guy that wants to push some sales for me. A few more like you and I’ll really be raking it in.

We are in agreement that most players are off center on the cue ball and these are the people that helped & caused me to invent the 3rd eye (something that should have been done years ago). I invented the 3rd Eye because your suggested method doesn’t work very well or when it does it doesn’t have a lasting impression, I gave those lessons myself and made the changes and 2 weeks later the students eyes were right back to seeing the shot incorrectly. That stripe stuff & up and down the table with cue ball only is crap, it’s not even close to the same sighting situation when you introduce an ob and pocket. (If you would take the time to watch the FREE instruction on my site you might learn something.) Even the 3rd eye doesn’t make the permanent change but I have received so many thank you emails from initial customers and then emails where the player says I was out of stroke or my old habits were coming back but a couple hrs with the 3rd Eye fixed that.

If you’re a good instructor I suggest you earn respect by providing good instruction rather than trying to make yourself look or feel better by insulting other hard working respected instructors.

JoeW
06-15-2008, 10:55 AM
There are many ways to play pool. No matter how you do it you calculate the line of travel for the OB to the pocket. This is a specific track that the OB travels. You may “cheat” the pocket and select a slightly different line but there is a specific line of aim.

Perception is a learned phenomenon. This is a fact and has been demonstrated many times. Optical illusions are examples of distortions that by-pass what your brain has learned. There are a few built in functions such as the perception of angles in space. These functions are rudimentary and are used to build learned systems including the ability to see boxes and other shapes.

When learning to perceive we can be assisted by visual aids that help us form the neurological maps that are used for “how to see.” In this sense the stroke trainer, sharpshooter stickers, and other devices help us create a brain map of “how to” calculate a line based on vision and proprioception or body feedback loops.

Jack Nicholas said that he visualized the ball and its trajectory on every shot before he played it. I think he is one of the few players who tried to explain what he and many highly successful players actually do when using a ball to hit a target. The ability to play a movie of the shot is your head before hitting the ball is a learned skill, one that some people have to a larger degree than other people.

The more variables that can be held constant the easier it is for the brain to learn to perceive. In this sense the stroke trainer, the sharpshooter stickers, and any visual aid that can be used in practice will lead to better learning.

I prefer an object ball on a piece of typing paper cut to 2.25” wide with a line down the center. A red dot is placed 1.125” from the end and another dot placed 2.25” from the first dot. The OB is placed on the second dot. The first dot is the Ghost ball center.

Placing the CB some distance away and on some particular angle and shooting the shot several times leads to a visualization of the shot that is recorded by the brain. This template is then used during actual play. With this type of training device one learns to see the line to the pocket from the player’s position. When the template, in various positions, has been well learned, the template is no longer needed. Practice watching the OB travel for six inches or so down the intended line also teaches the brain / body not to move until the OB has moved a specific distance. In this sense a whole visual / body system is learned that will improve actual play.

Unless we use these templates on a regular basis the memory traces will decay and be replaced by other memory traces. In addition, memory traces are malleable: they are modified by experience. Periodic re-training re-sets them for accuracy.

Finally, and probably of most importance is the idea that the better one is able to visualize the better one will play, See Nicholas above. If you use a training device you are better able to visualize shots that you have never seen because the brain has been taught the primary templates.

JoeW
06-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Joe T's laser trainer, the ghost ball trainer incorporated in the sharpshooter stickers and the third eye trainer are all quite useful for training the visual components in the brain. I suspect that many people think that they have only learned what they can verbalize. This is not true.

Consider trying to state (or verbalize) how you walk. I do not think that anyone can do this. None-the-less you did learn how to walk. There are many things in life that we have learned that we cannot put into words. Learning to shoot at the ghost ball may be one of these phenomena. Later we learn to modify this sight picture to accommodate for throw, squirt, deflection, etc. However, it is a basic premise that one’s brain uses a heuristic (basic / beginning, or simple) starting point and learns to diverge from this point. The player may think (verbally) that they are using one or another contact point. The brain / mind may or may not be using the same heuristic principle.

In this sense, Tucker’s devices are for brain / mind training regardless of one’s verbalizations. The instructor (in golf, pool or many other sports) says “Do it like this.” And the brain mind understands though we cannot verbalize what we have learned.

Training devices are highly useful in many aspects of life. I have used them to teach people to once again walk, run, and drive a car as well as many other things following a severe accident. It is not a question of “Do they work?” it is more to the point to ask “Which are the best trainers?” Joe Tucker has many answers.

Joe T please feel free to quote or use my review as needed. You have some great devices.

Joe Waldron, Ph.D., psychologist, retired

JoeW
06-15-2008, 11:43 AM
BTW a system such as the one taught by Hal Houle is another way to train the brain / mind. It too is a heuristic that is then used by the mind to shoot as needed. I find the arguments about the number of places to aim and the effectiveness of Hal's system are beside the point. He has a way to train the mind and that is of use. Some people prefer one way, some prefer another. His system will lead to better playing for those who are attracted to it.

Which of the many potential sytems is the best, SPF, Hal Houle, Joe Tucker? I think the answer is to find what all have in common. That would be the best system.

Rail Rat
06-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Thats Larry up there under Joeyjay, it's a remnant from his last attack on the board. You could write a 100 page journal on that guy Joe!

I learned pool using the "ghost ball" method when I first started out. I've found it the best way to train my eye along with visualizing the shot down an imaginery line the ball must follow.

Imagining the shot really works well for banks and kicks, see the shot in your mind, trace it out on the table, then follow it.

Nothing against training devises they are very helpful to learn with. But when it comes to playing a game you need a non mechanical aid you can bring to the table.

An instructor showed me another method for hitting difficult banks. I'll work on a visual then post it.

Brad