PDA

View Full Version : One inch holes in slate

DeadCrab
02-01-2007, 03:47 PM
In looking at schematic diadrams for three-peice slate, there are 1" holes around the periphery, I assume to accomodate the rail bolts.

If the rail bolts are going to be 3/8" or less, why are these holes 1" ?

Billy
02-01-2007, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadCrab:</font><hr> In looking at schematic diadrams for three-peice slate, there are 1" holes around the periphery, I assume to accomodate the rail bolts.

<hr /></blockquote>

rails have to be straight so there would be an allowance of sorts for the plus and minus of the machine made rails

jmo

Brian in VA
02-02-2007, 11:02 AM
And if the rails are solid wood, they change shape over the course of a year with the change in relative humidity. Having oversided holes allows them to move without binding anything else.

Brian in VA

SpiderMan
02-05-2007, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DeadCrab:</font><hr> In looking at schematic diadrams for three-peice slate, there are 1" holes around the periphery, I assume to accomodate the rail bolts.

<hr /></blockquote>

The oversize holes would allow a few fractions of an inch of alighnment discretion when the table is assembled. The mechanic would be able to make small corrections until the table was set up correctly.

SpiderMan