PDA

View Full Version : new guy

krisrock
02-02-2007, 08:54 AM
hey all ya im new here but i love pool and always could use the advise of other ppl who play the greatest game ever. i live in a smaller town and play in a league thats called vnea. i love playing and again this yr im captian...but i hate to lose. i prettty much hold my own but my team is all rookies, and when your always down shooting from behind it just seems to get worse. we cant even beat the easier teams we should clearly beat. im not trying to say were a championship team but ive been playing all my life since i could hold a stick and see over the table. and i could be on a better team but its slim pickins out here in the boon docks and players arnt falling out of trees. well what im getting too is how am i suppose to hold my composier and keep playing how i know how and improving my own game when im always playing from behind and get nervious every shot till the eight. i have played with better teams by far and its eaiser to play better when your with good players. anyone know what im trying to say here plz someone tell me how to get out of the rutt!!

hondo
02-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Welcome, man. I would venture into other towns,
scope their pool rooms, and try to match up cheap
with some players. I'd take a buddy to watch my back,
not flash much money, and be humble and gracious,
win or lose.
If you beat some of these guys or play them close,
you'll see your confidence and game soar.

dr_dave
02-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Welcome to the CCB!

You can find lots of good advice and discussion on various topics in the threads summary section of my website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html). You might be particularly interested in "how to improve your game" under "advice."

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote krisrock:</font><hr> hey all ya im new here but i love pool and always could use the advise of other ppl who play the greatest game ever. i live in a smaller town and play in a league thats called vnea. i love playing and again this yr im captian...but i hate to lose. i prettty much hold my own but my team is all rookies, and when your always down shooting from behind it just seems to get worse. we cant even beat the easier teams we should clearly beat. im not trying to say were a championship team but ive been playing all my life since i could hold a stick and see over the table. and i could be on a better team but its slim pickins out here in the boon docks and players arnt falling out of trees. well what im getting too is how am i suppose to hold my composier and keep playing how i know how and improving my own game when im always playing from behind and get nervious every shot till the eight. i have played with better teams by far and its eaiser to play better when your with good players. anyone know what im trying to say here plz someone tell me how to get out of the rutt!! <hr /></blockquote>

wolfdancer
02-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Sounds to me like you are putting too much pressure on yourself, because of your teammate's poor play. I'd guess from your post you feel like you have to make every shot, and win every game, to make up for their mistakes and losses.
Maybe it would help if you just forgot about the match score, concentrated strictly on your own game, and just try to help your teammates improve during practice sessions.
I've been on league champion teams....and been on some dogs.
I've enjoyed both...on the top teams, it's playing under pressure most of the time....on the weaker teams, it's a little more relaxed...and I think we enjoyed our wins a little more.
You might want to work a little on your mental game...at least, don't let your team's play get you down.
Getting nervous about playing from behind is something you'll have to overcome.....just accept it as a challenge(easy to say) and maybe play a little more conservative game to bounce back. An old team of mine overcame 6/0 deficits twice in one season's playoffs.
I'll trade you 3 of my present teammates for any three of yours...we won last night 8/7...two of us won 3/0... the other three...two games....but one of them was a really good out.
We won't win the league....but this is a "fun" team to be on.

strokeless
02-02-2007, 11:28 AM
at one time we all where rookies. did you have some one teach you or show you stuff? a new team has a good chance
to win as handicaps take time to catch up to a new player.

bsmutz
02-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Good advice from everyone so far. At present, it doesn't sound like you have much of a chance of winning your league. I don't expect that anything you or your teammates do is going to change that right away. It takes time and effort to improve (think years, not days). Certainly there is a ton of knowledge available that can shorten the learning curve, but it takes commitment to explore that knowledge and internalize it as well as time to practice what you learn so that you feel comfortable/confident when it comes time to use it. In my experience, pool is a game where (as you've apparently noticed) you tend to subconsciously play at the level of your opponent moreso than most others. So it is a good thing to play people who are better than yourself. Give your teammates more chances to play against you and make a real effort to pass along as much as you can in the way of knowledge to them. Try to get them thinking more about what they are doing and what they should be doing to win. At the same time, be aware that different people have different ways of accepting knowledge so try to find which approach works best with your different personalities. I've been thinking about this, too. Everyone on my APA team is at a lower level than I am. I know there are things that I know that they don't, so I've been trying to figure out a way to pass things along in a way that will stick with them. You can tell them what you would have done differently after their turn at the table, or a better way to approach a shot, but there is no way of knowing if they will remember that next time the situation arises. They kind of need to practice that same scenario so that it gets ingrained into their thought process. Practice time and repetition seem to be the best teachers for me. People can tell me stuff all day long, but until I actually do it or see it myself, it's not really going to be internalized. Be patient and try to get as many of your teammates motivated to practice more as you can. Make better use of your time practicing by verbalizing what you are doing and why on each shot. Make them start justifying what they are doing and why, at least to themselves. There is no better way to get over nerves than confidence in your ability. Confidence is built by repeatedly playing well.

Qtec
02-02-2007, 01:21 PM
LOL

Q

cushioncrawler
02-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey, Kris, how did u get the "x" in yor name ?? Iz it a french thing?? I have a "z" in mine (Polish but), but an "x" must feel special. enviousMac.

krisrock
02-02-2007, 06:59 PM
thank you all! the response was very uplifting as sometimes you know we all need encouragement i wish i could talk to you all in person and give my opinion on all your well put remarks. but now that i finally found a place to come talk about pool is great.and the positaive remarks are truly inspiring. tommorow is the city league trny last yr i got 2nd to my dad and i had to beat him twice ,but i was so happy to be there for 1st and 2nd and then with my dad was something i will never forget. but i want to better myself and win that trny and i know i got a good shot but i'll let you all know tommorow. thanks again

APAskill6
02-03-2007, 03:47 PM
The first thing you have to understand...as a captain....you are the leader....your players will feed off your lead.....This is only a game....you have to take that mentality before you can be sucessful....win or lose....its all about comradery and having fun.....

Then you have to be willing to teach your newbies the basics....play them according to their handicaps...so they have a better than average chance of winning.....it will take some time....and you will lose alot...but once the team gels....you will be just fine.