PDA

View Full Version : Billiards terminology

bradb
02-03-2007, 02:54 PM
-Dr Dave asked if there was any comment on this terminology. Since the thread is so long I thought I would start a new one.

(Quote Dave:) I think this is mostly a pool forum, so I think pool terms are appropriate. Although, it seems that most of the snooker and British-influence players on this forum know what everything means:
"side" = "English"
"screw" = "draw"
"pot a ball" = "sink a ball" = "make a ball" = "pocket a ball"
"plant" = "frozen ball"
"cannon" = "carom"
Maybe others can add some terms I missed. (Dr Dave)

I would comment on the british terms we use in Canada -Brad.

"A plant" is a combo where one of the balls is on to be pocketed. (This is also sometimes referred to as "wired.")
"A frozen ball" is two balls touching. (In snooker you can shoot away from this ball legally if one is the QB and the other is a ball that is on.
"Stun" =stop or draw back the QB
"Siding" =is a combination of top or bottom with left or right striking.
"In off"=Scratch
"Fluke"=pocketed ball made by luck
"Double" = a one bank pocketed ball.
"Ball on"= a ball that can be pocketed or hit legally

I mention this because I sometimes hear terms that are confusing to my description of play. Any correctioins or comments welcome.

cushioncrawler
02-04-2007, 04:15 AM
When 2 balls are touching (nearnuff), if u hit the 1st ball and pot the 1st ball, then that shood be called a "plant". If u pot the second ball, then that shood be called a "set". That woz the original terminology. Nowadayz all seem to call either/both a "plant". madMac.

Stretch
02-04-2007, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> When 2 balls are touching (nearnuff), if u hit the 1st ball and pot the 1st ball, then that shood be called a "plant". If u pot the second ball, then that shood be called a "set". That woz the original terminology. Nowadayz all seem to call either/both a "plant". madMac. <hr /></blockquote>

Chinese Hook = you've rolled up to a ball that you need to cue over top of to take your shot. Very inscrutable! lol

Fran Crimi
02-04-2007, 10:00 AM
I appreciate the list, Brad, but I can guarantee you that if you use the word 'stun' around here, no one will imagine that you mean drawing back the cue ball. To us, stun means that the cue ball is sliding without spin, on contact with the object ball.

A 'plant' is what grows in our yards. Seriously, we have no relation to pool with the word 'plant'.

We use the word 'double' in describing a double bank, as in two-rail bank shot. Sort of makes sense, doesn't it?

'Siding' is the stuff we put on our houses, made of vinyl or aluminum. We do say 'side' or 'sidespin', though.

If we use the word 'canon' at all, it will most likely refer to a huge break shot.

Sorry, but if you say the words 'in off' to us, we will look at you like you have two heads. It just doesn't fit in our pool vernacular.

Good news, however...we do agree that a 'fluke' is something unintended.

When we tell someone to 'screw', particularly as in 'go screw yourself', we don't mean for them to draw back their cue ball.

Your 'Ball on' is fairly close to our saying that a 'shot is on.'

I've always been a strong believer that we should preserve the cultures of the different games. If a player from the U.S. is trying to learn snooker, then we should learn the terms used by snooker players as well.

In the same light, if snooker players wish to learn American pool, then they should take the time to learn to speak it's language of origin and not attatch snooker terminology to it.

Fran

bradb
02-04-2007, 12:21 PM
(Quote Fran) I've always been a strong believer that we should preserve the cultures of the different games. If a player from the U.S. is trying to learn snooker, then we should learn the terms used by snooker players as well.

In the same light, if snooker players wish to learn American pool, then they should take the time to learn to speak it's language of origin and not attatch snooker terminology to it.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Fran....This is a world wide forum!!!!
You have players on here from Belgium, Australia, Thialand, Africa, Your're talking to the planet!!!!. I know you are speaking to your local friends but us Canucks up here and Whipy over in Europe would like to communicate with you.
I'm not saying you have to learn all our strange terminology. "We play pool up here a lot now, we've got some champions but our British lexicon still applys to the game here for us. So there needs to be an understanding for dialogue.

Pool is now bigger in Europe and Asia then it is in the states. Its a new world out there for us pool rats.

Fran Crimi
02-04-2007, 01:04 PM
No problem, friend. Communicate away. We're here. Just remember that when you are talking about pool, 'stun' means that the cue ball is sliding without spin on impact with the object ball.

When I talk about snooker, I'd be happy to use the word 'screw' to refer to draw back.

Even though I wish you wouldn't, if you insist, feel free to use whatever terms you wish when you are speaking about what you call 'American Pool' with your own countrymen or women. But please don't expect us to learn and converse with you in your terminology when you speak to us about our own games. THAT, my friend, is most pretentious of you. Let's have a little mutual respect here.

Fran

dr_dave
02-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Brad,

I need to back up Fran on this one. This is primarily an American pool forum. We are fortunate to have active participants from all around the world and from various games; but here, we talk pool.

If you are unfamiliar with some of our terminology, here's an online glossary of terms (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/resources/glossary.pdf) that might help.

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> No problem, friend. Communicate away. We're here. Just remember that when you are talking about pool, 'stun' means that the cue ball is sliding without spin on impact with the object ball.

When I talk about snooker, I'd be happy to use the word 'screw' to refer to draw back.

Even though I wish you wouldn't, if you insist, feel free to use whatever terms you wish when you are speaking about what you call 'American Pool' with your own countrymen or women. But please don't expect us to learn and converse with you in your terminology when you speak to us about our own games. THAT, my friend, is most pretentious of you. Let's have a little mutual respect here.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

bradb
02-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Sorry Fran, you completely missed my point. I wanted clarification on a shot where you said spin? So I went through my lexicon to give you something to explain with.
We say stun back, Draw is ok, it says what you mean. I guess I'm not communicating my intent.
I'm an American Vietnam vet now living in Canada so I'm no outsider. And I played pool in Texas for 10 years before coming up here.

bradb
02-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Chinese Hook = you've rolled up to a ball that you need to cue over top of to take your shot. Very inscrutable! lol <hr /></blockquote>

I play with a chinese friend sometimes and he dares me to lay a Chinese hook on him.

Here's a term I bet nobody has heard recently. "Mullet"
Also "slop player" was a favorite around my old haunt.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cornerman
02-05-2007, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Your 'Ball on' is fairly close to our saying that a 'shot is on.' <hr /></blockquote>I'm pretty sure that the term "ball on" if a snooker player was instead playing a rotation pool game like 9-ball, would be that the lowest numbered ball is the "ball on."

That is, "ball on" means the ball that you may (are allowed to) legally hit. The other balls that aren't "on" means that if you hit them first, it's a foul.

In snooker, if you're on colors (colours), you nominate your intended ball. That becomes you "ball on."

Fred &lt;~~~ I think

bradb
02-05-2007, 11:14 AM
That is correct Cornerman. If other colored balls are close to OB you could be called for a foul if not nominating.

There is one term that a lot of players (mostly bar pool) don't have any idea about and thats the push shot. They smack a QB touchng an OB head on! No use arguing it...I usually let it ride and sip my brew. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Fran Crimi
02-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Oh okay, I see. Well, we don't say 'stun back' and we wouldn't understand the term if someone said that to us. I think we may have changed things a bit in our pool language since the Vietnam period, so depending on when you moved to Canada there may be terms we use here that you wouldn't have heard before.

The snooker influence in your language is coming through loud and clear, though.

Fran

Fran Crimi
02-05-2007, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Your 'Ball on' is fairly close to our saying that a 'shot is on.' <hr /></blockquote>I'm pretty sure that the term "ball on" if a snooker player was instead playing a rotation pool game like 9-ball, would be that the lowest numbered ball is the "ball on."

That is, "ball on" means the ball that you may (are allowed to) legally hit. The other balls that aren't "on" means that if you hit them first, it's a foul.

In snooker, if you're on colors (colours), you nominate your intended ball. That becomes you "ball on."

Fred &lt;~~~ I think

<hr /></blockquote>

Okay, thanks for the correction. So those terms aren't alike at all.

Fran

bradb
02-05-2007, 05:01 PM
You were right Fran, "Ball on" is proper for pool, it has extra meaning for Snooker.

I'm sure I'm out of date on my lingo.

We used to say "Mullet" for somebody who does'nt understand shape, If I miss an easy shape shot I would mutter "Mullet!" under my breath.

A "slop shooter" was someone who played 9-ball and whacked the ball as hard as they could hoping to fluke it in some where.

There was this big moose who could get 7 rails on that old napped cloth (when he kept it on the table) and it was irritating as hell when he "slopped in" the 9 ball!!!

---Would love to hear any other lingo out there!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cushioncrawler
02-05-2007, 06:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> ....Chinese Hook = you've rolled up to a ball that you need to cue over top of to take your shot. Very inscrutable! lol <hr /></blockquote> Ahhhso, in Oz we all call it a Chinese-Snooker -- when playing snooker. madMac.