PDA

View Full Version : Sardo Tight Rack M-5000: How many here use it?

GKH
02-03-2007, 04:07 PM
I am seriously thinking about getting one. Our wooden racks that came with the table, aren't getting the job done. When I think I get a decent rack, maybe 50% of the time, I actually do. Then; I'm not that sure. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

- Greg

underdog
02-03-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm not sure about the "M-5000" but I have used a Sardo in the past and it's true..."perfect rack, every time". The only down side is, it leaves indentations in the cloth because of how you need to set it up.

Shaft
02-03-2007, 06:33 PM
I own one and I don't use it. I decided I don't want dimples in my cloth. If you really want one, I'll sell you mine (used only twice) for half price.

A properly-made wood rack works well. Avoid the ones where they "round out" the corners too deeply: the apex ball will never be tight. (Why do they do that??? There is no need to round out the corner at all: save the labor and keep a good rack.)

Not to hijack your thread, but I am intrigued by the Chameleon rack.

Rich R.
02-03-2007, 07:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote underdog:</font><hr> The only down side is, it leaves indentations in the cloth because of how you need to set it up. <hr /></blockquote>Many players choose not to use the Sardo rack because of these indentations. Once those indentations are in the cloth, they will affect slow rolling balls in the rack area.

mantis
02-03-2007, 10:04 PM
I have one and did not "train" my cloth. I still get very good racks with it. I really only use it when people are over to play though.

Rich R.
02-04-2007, 07:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mantis:</font><hr> I have one and did not "train" my cloth. I still get very good racks with it. I really only use it when people are over to play though. <hr /></blockquote>
On a home table, you can get very good racks with a normal wooden triangle, as long as you never tap on balls in the racking area. The Sardo is not needed. The cloth on my table is several years old and I can still get very good racks on it.
In the pool rooms, there is always someone who thinks you have to tap on the balls to get a good rack. In fact, that action is one of the factors that screws it up for the next rack. Multiply that by dozens of players, tapping on balls, and you will know why it is so difficult to get a good rack in a pool room.

jkwylde78
02-04-2007, 10:19 AM
The ont thing the sardo assumes---all balls are the same size...WRONG!!!! We replaced 5 table cloths due to the little bumps affecting roll in tournament play......And, a triangle was good enough for Hoppe, Mosconi, Reyes, Parica, Everyone till lately....What I started doin on my table, was cuttin windex 50/50 with water, sprayin liberally, and ironing the cloth. ONLY AFTER CLEANING. I've had simonis that lasted 1-1/2 years....used to replace 9mos to 1 year. That done about once a month, will keep those ball indentations, miscue marks, and tapped in ball marks to minimum radius beneath the playing surface....

GKH
02-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Guys: Thank You! I think, I will save my money. I'll make do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

So; with that said, what good quality wooden rack would you recommend? Or; is the one I got (American Heritage) actually, good enough? I get my hands in there to help tighten. But; I still get some wandering. And; then, do it all over again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks!

- Greg

Tom_In_Cincy
02-04-2007, 01:51 PM
One of the very best wooden racks I've ever had the pleasure of using was the Diamond Oak rack they use at the Derby City Classic. http://diamondbilliardproducts.com/ball_racks.htm

Sardo is a great rack and can provide a consistant rack for 9 ball and 8 ball. The Sardo was used at the IPT events and the reply from the players was the elimination of opponents capable of 'putting a rack' on them. The Sardo does eliminate players trying to manipulate the rack to their favor.

I've only heard a few Pros complain about the 'training' divots used for the Sardo. And those same pros usually complain about everything.

Cornerman
02-05-2007, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GKH:</font><hr> I am seriously thinking about getting one. Our wooden racks that came with the table, aren't getting the job done. When I think I get a decent rack, maybe 50% of the time, I actually do. Then; I'm not that sure. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

- Greg <hr /></blockquote>I use mine every time. And all these issues about dimples... non existent issue as far as I'm concerned.

I've seen too many normal tables using normal racks with their own problems in the rack area much worse than anything I've ever seen on my table.

Fred

BigRigTom
02-06-2007, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote GKH:</font><hr> I am seriously thinking about getting one. Our wooden racks that came with the table, aren't getting the job done. When I think I get a decent rack, maybe 50% of the time, I actually do. Then; I'm not that sure. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

- Greg <hr /></blockquote>I use mine every time. And all these issues about dimples... non existent issue as far as I'm concerned.
I've seen too many normal tables using normal racks with their own problems in the rack area much worse than anything I've ever seen on my table.
Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with Fred,
I have used the Sardo 3000 and the 5000 and my table is just fine.
The dimples (if they exist on the table you're playing) are so (IMO) insignificant that if your are letting that mess up your game you probably need to work on other aspects of your game.
Failing to chalk your cue can be a lot more of a hinderance!
I like the Sardo and it doesn't matter who racks with it!

Deeman3
02-06-2007, 05:55 PM
My one problem with the Sardo, particularily in a home use situation is just that consistency that makes it so good. If you play on the same table and pay attention, I believe you can soft break to great advantage against a player strange to the table. Corey was almost a lock on a table after only a few minutes after playing with it. An advantage player like Fred might lift your wallet with it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DeeMan
don't play Fred on Fred's table.....JK

BigRigTom
02-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Right you are Deeman, Some of my friends don't like playing me on my table either.....even without the Sardo.
My table is just different enough to them to give me an advantage I don't enjoy anywhere else.....he he....I like it! The Sardo does provide you a consistent rack and if you know your table I'm sure you can get another edge by using it.

GKH
02-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Thanks for all the great input guys! In my searching for a 'better than standard' rack, I ran across this new RST2 International Chameleon adjustable 'tight rack'.

Chameleon Rack (http://www.rst2international.com/chameleon.asp)

'Looks nice, as well. The pricing is similar to the Sardo 5000. Decision time!

corky
02-07-2007, 02:39 PM
I have used a sardo for over a year without any problems, love it so far

GKH
02-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Done! I just ordered a Sardo M-5000. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I appreciate everyone's input on my thread. Thanks again!

- Greg

GKH
02-23-2007, 08:12 AM
My Sardo M-5000 arrived. I like it. So far, I feel, I am getting nice, solid racks in the 8 ball configuration. I did notice in the 9 ball set, my 7th, and 8th ball in the rack have a bit of separation. But; the break still feels better than before. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif So; as Cornerman mentioned to me, I am going to train the table with just the 9 ball config. to dial it in more.

Nice rack! The hangers that are included, I will probably not use (2 screws per hanger). I am thinking about getting one of those 3M hangars that use the command adhesive strips. If I can find one wide enough, that should make a nice clean install. Plus; no holes.