PDA

View Full Version : big pc problem

Qtec
02-06-2007, 09:24 AM
It stared with a buffer overrun on Explorer. Now to computer won't start Windows because it doesn't recognise the 2 hard drives or one of the cdrom drives!
At one point on of the hard drives made a strange noise! I have tried disconecting drives, switching the master/slave cable around but according to the pc, there are no HDs installed.
Could it just be the case of a new cable or is the motherboard damaged?
Any ideas?

Q

S0Noma
02-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Hard to tell without a hands on look, but from a distance it sounds like your motherboard has failed. The fact that CMOS is not recognizing your hardware is a good sign that it's the MB and not something else.

Deeman3
02-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Crap,

I thought you were having a politically Correct Problem! I oculdn't figure that one out! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

DeeMan
I couldn't help you do much beyond smash the damn thing into the ground....

SpiderMan
02-06-2007, 03:31 PM
When you cold-start the computer, wait until it says "XX to enter setup", then briefly hold down whatever key(s) is requested to enter setup. Look at all your CMOS settings and make sure they look right. I had a glitch one time that screwed up my CMOS, and I had to go in and change a bunch of settings. After that, everything was fine and no data was lost.

SpiderMan

Qtec
02-07-2007, 03:58 AM
Thanks guys for the advice but I think I found the problem[ after taking the whole thing to pieces!]
The fan in the power supply box wasn't working. The box must have overheated [It was red hot when I touched it!] When I opened it, bits of melted plastic fell out! I think the hard drives and the cdrom were not getting any power. I think thats why the BIOS couldn't find them.
Bought a new box but it has a 22 pin conection to the motherboard but my MB has only 20 pins! I also wanted to buy more memory but my pc is so out of date[ its only 5 yrs old], they didn't have DDR 266! They dont sell them anymore.

Time for a new PC?
Q

sack316
02-07-2007, 05:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> its only 5 yrs old

Time for a new PC?

<hr /></blockquote>

Flies have a longer life span than PC's these days. 5 years is pretty old by todays standards. I'm sure you could manage to fix up the old one, but computers are so cheap now you might as well buy a new one and move all your important data over to it.

Obviously what you plan to use it for affects what you should by, but just for a basic "I'm gonna type some stuff and play online" type of thing you can go brand new for a few hundred bucks.

Sack

Qtec
02-07-2007, 05:27 AM
I bought it 5 yrs ago in a sale but the components are probably at least 8 yrs old now.
Q

Deeman3
02-07-2007, 07:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> I bought it 5 yrs ago in a sale but the components are probably at least 8 yrs old now.
Q <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> That's about 56 in Doggie years.... </font color>

DeeMan
lucky my computer even talks to me.....

eg8r
02-07-2007, 09:13 AM
That sucks, sorry you had a meltdown (no pun intended). /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just recently had to buy a new machine, my power supply caught on fire and burnt itself up and the motherboard. Still need to pull the data off the harddrives.

I am loving the new computer though. It is nice to have up to date hardware but living through Vista will be trying times until all the drivers are released. My old machine was 9 years old. Sony has not released any drivers for their handycam camcorders for Vista so now I am lost without having any way to get my video onto the computer.

eg8r

Chopstick
02-07-2007, 02:31 PM
You should be able to find a power supply with the right connector or an adapter for it. The memory you will have to get online. I quit buying the packaged PCs because of the major hassle of getting replacement components after they are a few years old.

I built a monster PC for under 1k just buying my own components. You can get a packaged deal cheaper but if you build your own you can control the quality of the components that go into it. I will never buy a pre-packaged PC again.

My requirements are higher than a normal user since I use my equipment 24/7 for my work. Another advantage you get with the new mother boards is they have monitors that will alert you or shutdown the system if a fan fails. You won't get that kind of functionality from a store bought PC.

If you are still having problems or questions PM me and I will send you my email.

Just my 2 cents.

Qtec
02-07-2007, 08:44 PM
My old power supply was only 300W, the lowest they had was 400W!
Should I spend money on buying old components that are already out of date?
I,m thinking, keep this power supply unit and invest in a new motherboard with some decent memory. I already have a sound card, 2 HDs and 2 disc drives. Pen 2 is not O.o.Date yet, is it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
There is no way I would buy a PC with vista installed, thats for sure. After a zillion XP updates, Im inclined to wait a while for vista! Why should I pay $200 for something that doesn't work?........Also, I took it to bits and it don't look pretty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Q.........thanks for the offer chopstick. Might take you up on that.

Qtec
02-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Oh yeah of little faith! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You shouldn't jump to conclusions D-man. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Q

eg8r
02-08-2007, 06:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I built a monster PC for under 1k just buying my own components. You can get a packaged deal cheaper but if you build your own you can control the quality of the components that go into it. I will never buy a pre-packaged PC again.
<hr /></blockquote> After building PCs myself (usually for everyone else) for the past 10 years I will never build another one again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I hate all the hassels that come with it. I just purchased a Dell machine (this is a huge step for me because I hate Dell's) and it is such a great feeling to get everything I want (sucks you have customize nearly the entire thing) and all I had to do was cut the check and turn on the power. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually the only reason why I went with a Dell is because they have changed a lot of the proprietary hardware so that I can add/replace/upgrade anything. The only part that is proprietary left in my machine is the motherboard and the only downfall there is that they have removed the ability to overclock (not a big deal for me since I never messed with that).

eg8r

Chopstick
02-08-2007, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> My old power supply was only 300W, the lowest they had was 400W!
Should I spend money on buying old components that are already out of date?
I,m thinking, keep this power supply unit and invest in a new motherboard with some decent memory. I already have a sound card, 2 HDs and 2 disc drives. Pen 2 is not O.o.Date yet, is it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
There is no way I would buy a PC with vista installed, thats for sure. After a zillion XP updates, Im inclined to wait a while for vista! Why should I pay $200 for something that doesn't work?........Also, I took it to bits and it don't look pretty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Q.........thanks for the offer chopstick. Might take you up on that.
<hr /></blockquote>

That is almost exactly what happened to me last year. I had a nice Sony Viao that I paid 2K for. I needed to put in a new video card. Most all of the desktop units at that time came with a 300W power supply. With the add on card I needed more than 300W. I went and bought a new power supply and the thing would not fit in the case. It turns out that there is only one power supply that will fit into the odd shaped space in the Sony case and I could not find anyone that sells them. I also couldn't find any memory upgrades. I could order them but since they were out of date they cost more than the new ones.

I had similar problems with the HP I had before when I tried to upgrade components. I just got fed up with those proprietary cases and bought a nice Liam Li case and it works fine. When my motherboard gets old or out dated It will just be a couple hundred or so to bring it up to date.

CompUSA sells some 300W power supplies, but they might not fit your case. Ed has a good point about those Dells too. I haven't messed with them in a few years.

Qtec
02-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Turns out that the power supply does fit. You can slie off the last piece of the connector to fit 20 pins.
Insalled it and power supply and pc fans are working but still the bios doesn't detect the other drives, HD and dvdrom.
I get the start of the bios screen and then it jumps to auto detect but never finds anything. I can't believe that all the drives are damaged.
I will buy new cables and see if that does anything.
One thing I know for sure is that it isn't the power supply.
Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Fran Crimi
02-08-2007, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no way I would buy a PC with vista installed, thats for sure. After a zillion XP updates, Im inclined to wait a while for vista! <hr /></blockquote>

I found this article about Vista in the Journal to be very interesting and informative. It definitely set me straight about whether or not to upgrade.

Fran

Wall Street Journal Article (http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20070118.html)

Chopstick
02-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Before you spend money you should do a CMOS reset. If the motherboard was run with low or fluctuating power there is a good that the non-volatile ram is scrambled. The factory defaults are hard coded in ROM and will reload automatically if CMOS is ever cleared.

CMOS memory is maintained by an onboard battery that is present on every mother board. On this motherboard for example, the battery is the silver disc about the size of a quarter in the lower right hand corner.

http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/images/piiisea_jump.jpg

Different motherboards will have different options for clearing CMOS memory but the one option that works for all of them is to remove this battery. Get a magnifying glass and have a good close look at it before you try to remove it. Manufacturers have about a zillion different ways to mount those things and those retaining clips will break easy. So, have a look and get a good idea about how to undo the mounts before you reach in there. Don't forget to unplug the power before you do anything. I know I don't have to tell you that but I thought I had better include it in case a blonde chick might be reading this and try it.

Once you get the battery out, leave it out for about ten minutes. CMOS memory doesn't drain down immediately. I don't know why. It is what I have always heard.

After that put the battery back in, fasten it down, and power up. It should work fine.

If you can see the brand name of the mother board you can go to their web site and get detailed technical information on the board.

Qtec
02-08-2007, 12:39 PM
I read the MB book and there is a switch to clear the CMOS. I will try that.
Also, in the book it says the battery is good for 5 yrs and the PC is 5 yrs old.
It could just be that it has been fried and needs to be reset!...........Mmmmmmmmmmmm /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Murphey's Law.

Q

Qtec
02-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Here it is. web page (http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=645_Ultra-C)
Q

eg8r
02-08-2007, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I found this article about Vista in the Journal to be very interesting and informative. It definitely set me straight about whether or not to upgrade. <hr /></blockquote> What was your decision?

I am currently running Vista on my personal machine at home simply because I had no choice. It is the only offering at Dell but I chose to pay the extra money and get Ultimate. It is pretty cool. As your link alludes, Microsoft did take lots of elements from Macs and copy them. Why not, the Mac is a great machine. I just wish they would have copied over the dock. I also like the sidebar in Vista and use a gadget as an app launcher instead of the missing dock.

The one thing about Aero that a lot of people talk about is the 3d flip. I simply see no point in this at all.

All in all the only negative I have noticed is that there are no Sony drivers for my handycam so I have not been able to pull in any video off my camcorder. Other than that, it has been quite enjoyable. I am one of the people that like to change my workspace to look like a Mac, with Vista I don't really have to do that anymore. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~configured a new machine to make sure I could handle all of Vista's capabilities

Chopstick
02-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Great. You have the manual. Then you're home free. Yes. use the switch. It's easier. I saw something on the web page that may be an additional gotcha.

The mainboard provides a Desktop Management Interface (DMI) function which records your mainboard specifications.

It may be another place that you have to clear out. The manual will tell you about it if it is neccessary. I don't think you will have a problem though.

Fran Crimi
02-08-2007, 03:26 PM
My conclusion is that it's a waste of time and money to try to upgrade a unit over 18 months old, which means I'll stick with XP until I'm in the market for a new PC.

Fran

SpiderMan
02-09-2007, 08:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
<hr /></blockquote> After building PCs myself (usually for everyone else) for the past 10 years I will never build another one again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I hate all the hassels that come with it. I just purchased a Dell machine (this is a huge step for me because I hate Dell's) and it is such a great feeling to get everything I want (sucks you have customize nearly the entire thing) and all I had to do was cut the check and turn on the power. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually the only reason why I went with a Dell is because they have changed a lot of the proprietary hardware so that I can add/replace/upgrade anything. The only part that is proprietary left in my machine is the motherboard and the only downfall there is that they have removed the ability to overclock (not a big deal for me since I never messed with that).

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

I'll second that recommendation. That last PC I bought was a Dell also, and I could not have purchased the components for my turnkey price, which includes factory support and the peace-of-mind that comes from knowing in advance that the individual components will play together.

Dell has some fantastic prices if you are willing to keep an eye out for the specials they run about once a month.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
02-09-2007, 08:17 AM
My sentiments too. Although Vista is an inexpensive upgrade for me, I see no advantage to owning it. Probably a disadvantage with my current hardward and software, as I do a lot of video editing and need all the resources XP doesn't already hog.

SpiderMan

eg8r
02-09-2007, 08:23 AM
I hear ya. By the time you are ready to upgrade your machine, hopefully a lot of the kinks will be worked out with Vista.

eg8r

eg8r
02-09-2007, 08:24 AM
What software are you using for video editing?

eg8r