PDA

View Full Version : Does thinking about a streak kill it?

Stretch
02-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Anyone out there put a good win streak together in league play? Man it's tuff to do in this Metro league i'm in. I'm matched up with every other teams top players and we only play 4 games. So every game is a cold start pressure game. It almost feels like a hill hill game when you get out there. Anyway i'm on a roll. I didn't really care at all until last night when i hit 19 consecutive wins. I was just going hard trying to salvage a so so year average wise then WHOA i get this thing going. People are watching now. Other teams have got me down as a marked man. Last night i got my 4 wins but it was agonizing, i don't want to think about it but i can't help it! Even now by mentioning it at all i've probably jinxed myself and i'll be typing next week " Relax, streak over!"

So anyone out there with advice on riding the wave, so they say? St.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Enjoy it while you can... two ways it can end... either quit a winner or expect the loss.

I had a very long win steak a few times when I played league and I really enjoyed the weekly challange.

Rich R.
02-06-2007, 12:31 PM
The only think you can count on, for sure, is that the steak will end. Ride the wave and enjoy it.

I play in the APA, so each week I can play against players of a variety of skills. One week I may play the best on a team and the next week the other team will dump a low skill level player on me. One session, my record was 13-1. I was lucky and most people didn't notice the streak. I was able to just play my game each week. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bradb
02-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Hey Stretch, got some good advice from another member of the forum, play the table, not your opponent. The table never changes, if you beat it once you can beat it again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpiderMan
02-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Stretch,

Actually, I think you're more likely to continue your streak by recognizing it than by not recognizing it.

A very long winning streak affords many opportunities for small mistakes to end it. By thinking about it, you at least avoid the small mistakes due to carelessness and not bearing down.

If your format is alternate break, you're very fortunate that no one has run out on you since they've had about 10 opportunities.

Are we gonna finish putting the seafood buffets in 'Vegas out of business this summer?

SpiderMan

DickLeonard
02-07-2007, 07:22 AM
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTCC CCCCCCCCcHHHHHHHHHH your streak as long as you can STRETCH. I seem to remember Greenleaf had a long winning streak in the National Pool League. This could be a figment of my mind but I thought there was a National Pool League in the 20s or 30s. This could be a quetion for Mike Shamos.####

dave
02-07-2007, 09:27 AM
If thinking about a "winning" streak will end it, does that mean thinking about a "losing" streak will end THAT?
The logic doesn't quite seem to work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fran Crimi
02-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Hey Stretch, I think it depends on the individual person. I once made the big mistake of pointing out to a friend that he was on a streak in league. He nearly tore my head off for mentioning it! He said now I made him think about it and ruined it for him, get this---even though he already knew he was on a streak. Huh?

I think it depends on how secure you are. Some players strive for things like streaks. It's what motivates them. Others fear that kind of thing. Fear of winning, I believe it's called.

You're not a 'fear of winning' type guy. Enjoy the streak, be proud of it and shout it from the rafters! Go after more!

Fran

Stretch
02-07-2007, 10:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Stretch,

Actually, I think you're more likely to continue your streak by recognizing it than by not recognizing it.

A very long winning streak affords many opportunities for small mistakes to end it. By thinking about it, you at least avoid the small mistakes due to carelessness and not bearing down.

If your format is alternate break, you're very fortunate that no one has run out on you since they've had about 10 opportunities.

Are we gonna finish putting the seafood buffets in 'Vegas out of business this summer?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Spider! Big 10-4 on killing the Sea food Buffets. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Only i'm staying away from the Lobster. They Can NOT do Lobster in Vegas, it was gross.

My Vegas league team just went into first place by 8 points last week. Now if we can put it out of reach on the home stretch I'd be thrilled. The other teams have to play off for the second spot. First over all (hopefully us) gets the automatic trip. Here's hopeing!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif St.

Stretch
02-07-2007, 11:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Hey Stretch, I think it depends on the individual person. I once made the big mistake of pointing out to a friend that he was on a streak in league. He nearly tore my head off for mentioning it! He said now I made him think about it and ruined it for him, get this---even though he already knew he was on a streak. Huh?

I think it depends on how secure you are. Some players strive for things like streaks. It's what motivates them. Others fear that kind of thing. Fear of winning, I believe it's called.

You're not a 'fear of winning' type guy. Enjoy the streak, be proud of it and shout it from the rafters! Go after more!

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Fran thanks! Yes i've been awfully lucky along the way but also won the games i was supposed to win given the layouts and the opportunities. I'm playing a very smart game now and i think that's the difference. It sure is keeping me focused on the table and not doing anything stupid. i decided that if i get run off the board that's quite alright. But i'm sure not going to give it away!

Your right fran,it seems i'm one of those types that needs personal goals as well as a good push to excel. The push came from a new acquisition this year. A Very good player from another team that folded last year. I was just sleep walking threw league nights, a few bad showings and dumb mistakes were taking me out of contention for high average. Then the new guy started gloating over the fact that he was now #1 on the team. WELL!!! LOL THAT would never do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif That's when my streak started. Nothing like a little friendly rivalry to get your MOJOE working. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.