PDA

View Full Version : 9 ball most balls made on break

corky
02-07-2007, 02:26 PM
<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1170880012corky">

world record

rangoonkid
02-07-2007, 02:39 PM

underdog
02-07-2007, 04:03 PM
I saw, I believe it was Alex Pagalyon(?) make 6 or 7 but missed an easy shot on the 8.

dr_dave
02-07-2007, 04:31 PM
You can see 6 balls under "pool" and 9 balls (trick) under "trick shots" in the video collection section of my website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/videos/index.html).

Regards,
Dave

pooltchr
02-07-2007, 04:32 PM
I saw one of the local players from Raleigh(Johnny Griffin) make 6 one time when I was running the old Fury tour. That's the most I have ever personally witnessed.
(Nice break, Johnny!)
Steve

canadan
02-07-2007, 11:44 PM
seen them all fall and the 9 even droped last. look on you tube under "9 ball break" I think. realy cool to watch over and over

wolfdancer
02-08-2007, 12:38 AM
I made 37 in just one day!!!

GKH
02-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Since we have had our table at the house (12/28/06), I have dropped 3 on the break, including the 9. And; once, I dropped 4 on the break including the 9. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shaft
02-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Dr. Dave and Canadan: You both reference the same 9-balls-falling-on-a-break footage. I believe this is trick photography, not a trick shot, and not a real shot for many reasons:

* The camera is pre-positioned for this shot on a static stand. This shot is one in a billion if real, yet they knew it would happen. The static camera (as opposed to hand-held footage) is more conducive to superposition of images.

* There is no natural reaction from the shooter or bystanders on this truly "amazing event." No body language, no shouts of shock from the crowd. "Ho hum...Of course all the balls fell in ...."

* Frame by frame viewing blurs a lot of balls that seem to change color and position during and after the break.

I can't prove it is a fake, but I am definitely not persuaded that it is real.

MHO.

Deeman3
02-08-2007, 09:13 AM
You exactly correct, it had to be a fake. I do remember a televised break by Danny Harriman in 7 ball where I think he made 6 with the saven still on the table as few years ago. It might have been 5 he made but it was impressive.

The chance that nine would go with ramdom opportunity and that a camera would be there makes it harder to believe than the big bang theory....

DeeMan

Cornerman
02-08-2007, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote underdog:</font><hr> I saw, I believe it was Alex Pagalyon(?) make 6 or 7 but missed an easy shot on the 8. <hr /></blockquote>Yes, Alex has a 6 on Youtube and blows the first shot.

Fred &lt;~~~ 6 a few times, never ran out

dr_dave
02-08-2007, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Shaft:</font><hr> Dr. Dave and Canadan: You both reference the same 9-balls-falling-on-a-break footage. I believe this is trick photography, not a trick shot, and not a real shot for many reasons:

* The camera is pre-positioned for this shot on a static stand. This shot is one in a billion if real, yet they knew it would happen. The static camera (as opposed to hand-held footage) is more conducive to superposition of images.

* There is no natural reaction from the shooter or bystanders on this truly "amazing event." No body language, no shouts of shock from the crowd. "Ho hum...Of course all the balls fell in ...."

* Frame by frame viewing blurs a lot of balls that seem to change color and position during and after the break.

I can't prove it is a fake, but I am definitely not persuaded that it is real.<hr /></blockquote>
Here's the direct link to the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8OoJbx99ko) listed in my video collection (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/videos/index.html).

I don't think it is "fake" by your definition (i.e., I don't think the video has been doctored in any way). However, it is a "trick shot." The rack is not solid. It is set up with well-placed gaps so every ball is a dead carom or combo.

That's what I think, anyway, based on what I see ... but I could be wrong. If you pause the video immediately after impact, you can kind of see the carom and combo action.

Regardless of the trickery, still awesome!

Dave

SPetty
02-08-2007, 11:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Shaft:</font><hr>I believe this is trick photography, not a trick shot, and not a real shot for many reasons...<hr /></blockquote>I don't think it is "fake" by your definition (i.e., I don't think the video has been doctored in any way). However, it is a "trick shot."<hr /></blockquote>I'm surprised at you, Dave. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that it's definitely "doctored" video and not a trick shot. The easiest way to verify that for yourself is to try to figure out what pocket the one ball goes in. Don't tell me it's the side pocket on the right, because that's the five ball. The one ball just disappears. Where did the three ball go?

dr_dave
02-08-2007, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Shaft:</font><hr>I believe this is trick photography, not a trick shot, and not a real shot for many reasons...<hr /></blockquote>I don't think it is "fake" by your definition (i.e., I don't think the video has been doctored in any way). However, it is a "trick shot."<hr /></blockquote>I'm surprised at you, Dave. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that it's definitely "doctored" video and not a trick shot. The easiest way to verify that for yourself is to try to figure out what pocket the one ball goes in. Don't tell me it's the side pocket on the right, because that's the five ball. The one ball just disappears. Where did the three ball go? <hr /></blockquote>
You got me on this one! I just looked at the clip a lot closer by advancing one frame at a time. It does look fishy on closer inspection, but it still seems like many of the balls were setup for dead caroms and combos? Or do you think most of the clip is fabricated?

Dave

Cornerman
02-08-2007, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> I don't think it is "fake" by your definition (i.e., I don't think the video has been doctored in any way). However, it is a "trick shot." <hr /></blockquote>It might be a trick shot, but it's not one trick shot. It's an overlay of a couple of trickshots or several shots.

It's very easy to simply watch the one ball and the cueball. The cueball amazingly goes through the rack, and to the right (as viewed from the foot rail). The oneball also goes to the right. That's not possible.

I suspect the path of the cueball is a standard frozen pair trickshot, with the two balls frozen where the bottom of the rack is, with the cueball travellin three rails to pocket a ball in the upper left corner. The other major trick shot is the standard rosebud cluster. The one-ball looks to be simply banked across.

Also watching the cueball, when it hits the last cushion, you can see the reverse. This is what would happen if the cuball was going in a standard three rail pattern to pocket a ball hanging in the corner.

This is definitely an overlay of three or four trick shots. And if anyone really needs more convincing, watch each pocket individually and count how many balls actually went in. Then ask yourself, "where in the hell did the 3-ball drop?"

Fred

Fred

dr_dave
02-08-2007, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> I don't think it is "fake" by your definition (i.e., I don't think the video has been doctored in any way). However, it is a "trick shot." <hr /></blockquote>It might be a trick shot, but it's not one trick shot. It's an overlay of a couple of trickshots or several shots.

It's very easy to simply watch the one ball and the cueball. The cueball amazingly goes through the rack, and to the right (as viewed from the foot rail). The oneball also goes to the right. That's not possible.

I suspect the path of the cueball is a standard frozen pair trickshot, with the two balls frozen where the bottom of the rack is, with the cueball travellin three rails to pocket a ball in the upper left corner. The other major trick shot is the standard rosebud cluster. The one-ball looks to be simply banked across.

Also watching the cueball, when it hits the last cushion, you can see the reverse. This is what would happen if the cuball was going in a standard three rail pattern to pocket a ball hanging in the corner.

This is definitely an overlay of three or four trick shots. And if anyone really needs more convincing, watch each pocket individually and count how many balls actually went in. Then ask yourself, "where in the hell did the 3-ball drop?"<hr /></blockquote>
I agree. See my earlier post (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=244069&amp;page =&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1). Thank you for the thorough analysis.

I still think the video is impressive.

Regards,
Dave

Eric.
02-08-2007, 12:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> I don't think it is "fake" by your definition (i.e., I don't think the video has been doctored in any way). However, it is a "trick shot." <hr /></blockquote>It might be a trick shot, but it's not one trick shot. It's an overlay of a couple of trickshots or several shots.

This is definitely an overlay of three or four trick shots. And if anyone really needs more convincing, watch each pocket individually and count how many balls actually went in. Then ask yourself, "where in the hell did the 3-ball drop?"<hr /></blockquote>
I agree. See my earlier post (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=244069&amp;page =&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1). Thank you for the thorough analysis.

Regards,
Dave <hr /></blockquote>

But you're not necessarily saying "you're were wrong", Dave?

Eric &gt; /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bsmutz
02-08-2007, 12:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>

Eric &gt; /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Of course he wouldn't say that. It's improper English and Dave has too much education. You are were wrong? Sheesh.

Qtec
02-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Dave, take it from me that the nes-cafe[ koffieshop] tape is a fake. Its common knowledge.
Q

dr_dave
02-08-2007, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> I don't think it is "fake" by your definition (i.e., I don't think the video has been doctored in any way). However, it is a "trick shot." <hr /></blockquote>It might be a trick shot, but it's not one trick shot. It's an overlay of a couple of trickshots or several shots.

Regards,
Dave <hr /></blockquote>

But you're not necessarily saying "you're were wrong", Dave?<hr /></blockquote>
I absolutely am saying that I was wrong with my initial posting (see my first admission of guilt (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=244069&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)). If you count this message, that's three times I have agreed that I was wrong.

Anybody else want to also chime in to say I was wrong? Here's your chance. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dr. Dave (definitely wrong, at first, on this one)

dr_dave
02-08-2007, 01:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Dave, take it from me that the nes-cafe[ koffieshop] tape is a fake. Its common knowledge.<hr /></blockquote>
I agree. Thank you for the sharing your knowledge.

That's four (see here (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=244093&amp;page =&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)).

I feel like a frat boy with my pants down at a paddle initiation event.

Thank you, sir, may I have another? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Dave

Eric.
02-08-2007, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>

Of course he wouldn't say that. It's improper English and Dave has too much education. You are were wrong? Sheesh. <hr /></blockquote>

Look smutz, you need to get out of the lab and find a sense of humor. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

(note the quotes, it's called "goofing around")

Eric &gt;sheesh is right

dr_dave
02-08-2007, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Dave, take it from me that the nes-cafe[ koffieshop] tape is a fake. Its common knowledge.<hr /></blockquote>Do you know the whole story on the clip? How much was it doctored? How many balls went in before the video editing began? Is it possible to set the shot up to make all (or most) of the balls with direct caroms, combos, and banks?

Thanks,
Dave

Eric.
02-08-2007, 01:16 PM
I don't know what the "official" high number is, but I think 6 may be the highest number on tape. That I know of.

Eric

dr_dave
02-08-2007, 01:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>

Of course he wouldn't say that. It's improper English and Dave has too much education. You are were wrong? Sheesh. <hr /></blockquote>Thank you for the support. Although, don't be so sure about my mastery of the English language. I grew up in a bad neighborhood in New Orleans and didn't get too good of an edumication in elementary school.

Dave (still learning the English language, and still trying to get better at recognizing video fraud).

dg-in-centralpa
02-08-2007, 03:09 PM
I did 5 once, on a bar table during league and was hidden from my next ball and couldn't run out. What a pi$$er...

DG

cueball1950
02-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Well i can tell you from what i have heard from a very reliable source, (someone whose word i would trust) that all 9 balls were made on the break by a man named Andy "Harpo" Bakerian. The story goes that Harpo made all 9 on the break and the next rack he made 7 and safed himself. Oh, by the way this mans name is Dick leonard. Our own ####leonard. it has been discussed, this subject, on here numerous times. Dick at 1 time racked for Harpo for roughly 2 hours and made balls on the break everytime. Maybe Dick will jump in and tell the story................mike

canadan
02-08-2007, 04:49 PM
ya i got all 9 in ONCE but the cue ball flew off the table and i lost. i hate telling the story everyone makes fun of me for losing.

bsmutz
02-08-2007, 06:14 PM
(Using my best Nelson impression) Ha Ha, you lost...

DickLeonard
02-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Cueball1950 I am a little late replying, here is Harpos story. I was playing in Whitey's poolroom main table when a fellow came in and walked behind the desk got the billiard balls and walked over the table. I ask Whitey who was that and he said Andy Bakerian, he put all nineballs in on the break on the table your playing on.

I left Whitey's and went to Canton's and mentioned Andy to Joe and he told me if he had his break no one would beat him playing nineball.

I never saw Andy break till I was running Cue Tyme. He came in one day and I asked him if he would give me a breaking demonstration. He said he hadn't played in 5 years but as soon as he warmed up he would. While he was I asked him about the nineballs on the break. He said it was true and he had 7 out of 9 twice once getting stitched by the nine.

Now he was warmed up and gave me a Demo. I racked for 2hours+ he never put less than two balls in and the most he put in was six. The strange part was he never lunged, no violent movement. He held his cue with his ring and baby fingers with his thumb and other fingers just dangling. When he hit the one ball it was as if a bomb went off. Balls fying all over the table and the cueball resting in the center of the table.

I knew then that story was true, he did have the best break I had ever seen. When he played in ring games[rotation,keno] he couldn't break. He would always win on the break.####

rangoonkid
02-12-2007, 05:47 PM

Scott Lee
02-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Larry...The difference is that Dick tells the truth and is reputable...and you're a liar and a fraud. Oh wait...except for your Guiness book 'world record titles' and Ripley's Believe It Or Not appearances. Remember that crap you mailed me when you were over in China, appearing before everyone on the earth (I think 2,000,000,000 was the number you used). Have they invited you back lately? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Scott Lee

rangoonkid
02-14-2007, 09:13 PM

Qtec
02-14-2007, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
which he proved by passing a lie detector test <hr /></blockquote> LMAO /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So basically, we have to take your word for it. No witnesess?

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

rangoonkid
02-14-2007, 09:31 PM

Qtec
02-14-2007, 09:31 PM
The place is a Koffieshop, ie where they sell Mary Jane, Weed, Hash etc. They have a web cam on the pool table. Some whizzKid student spliced, morphed-whatever they do- the 9-bal break together and it went out on the web.
Like Fred spotted, one of the balls just disappears!

Q

cueball1950
02-14-2007, 10:05 PM
if this is indeed Fast Larry like Scott said. How did he get back on. I thought he was banned for life. guess it must be time to notify somebody before somebody else get mad at him and slaps him down again..................mike

ccboard_admin_back
02-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Already on it.

Admin

Deeman3
02-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Q,

It's kinda funny in a wierd sort of way. A guy who is pretending to be someone else is asking you to believe him about the miracles he has preformed. Besides, most know that a pathological liar can pass a lie detector test with ease.

For those of you not familiar with the history here (new to the CCB), Scott Lee is a well respected renouned teacher (one of several on the forum)who has done tours all over, is a very accomplished player but never made any outlandish claims about his accomplishments. He is one of the few instructors who will come to you and teach you in your home or favorite pool hall and is one hell of a guy who you will quickly become freinds with. Like me, he has a low tolerance to hate filled screamers.

F/L is a mentaly challenged man who, while having some pool past seems to attempt to assume the mantle of Fat's with less benefit to the game of pool but much more baggage and a lot less entertainment value.

DeeMan

Cydpkt
02-15-2007, 08:39 AM
When I first started playing Scott would occasionally drop by the campus and play. He would play and give me pointers. He only asked that I pay for the table time (I was more than willing to do). He did more for my game than anything else. Getting the fundamentals is essential. He did this out of his love of the sport and the satisfaction one receives from teaching someone to be successful. Thanks Scott.

joeblow
02-15-2007, 08:54 AM

Cydpkt
02-15-2007, 09:03 AM
If one has to brag about their accomplishments then they really have a short coming. Let your accomplishments brag for themselves! Scott doesn't have to prove himself to me. He helped me out and didn't expect anything in return.

joeblow
02-15-2007, 09:09 AM

Snapshot9
02-15-2007, 09:14 AM
in 45 years of playing, I have made 7 on the break twice, 6 on the break probably 7-8 times, 4/5 on the break more.

I have made 7 balls before on an 8 ball break before.

BUT, I am happy with just 1 ball down, a good spread, and shape on the next shot. And it is 2-3 times easier breaking on Simonis 860 than other cloth.

Cydpkt
02-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Joe,
My free lessons were in 1994. No he didn't ask me to go onto this site and post anything about him. The fact that you are the only one saying anything bad about him does tell me something. Since you are new to the forum, (2/15/07) I would guess that you had to start a new name to continue where you left off. There is more to life..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

joeblow
02-15-2007, 10:03 AM

Cydpkt
02-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Looking thru my threads I don't see where I called you a liar. Not everyone has been or will be the world champ. Scott has taken something he likes to do and makes a living doing it. If he inspires someone to be a better player or to want to improve their game, who is to fault him for that? Scott has my respect from his actions. That is MY truth.

Deeman3
02-15-2007, 10:33 AM
The Administrator needs to find a technical way of keeping him from re-inventing himself every time he is thrown off.

DeeMan

Cydpkt
02-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Some people need to make themselves feel better by belittling others. (there is some truth to that!)

Scott Lee
02-15-2007, 11:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> The Administrator needs to find a technical way of keeping him from re-inventing himself every time he is thrown off.

DeeMan
<hr /></blockquote>

Dee...Sometimes I wonder if Larry has so many personalities, that he honestly can't remember which one is which! Remember when he posted as a young girl wanting pool lessons, a couple of years back? Sheesh! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
02-15-2007, 11:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote joeblow:</font><hr> Excuse me but if you saw what was being written all the screaming and hate was coming from Scott. Look fast because it's all probably being erased to cover him. <hr /></blockquote>

ROTFLMAO! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Yep...My CIA operatives are cleaning up as we speak!
Get a life Larry!

Scott Lee

joeblow
02-15-2007, 11:44 AM

Scott Lee
02-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Larry...I noticed you failed to answer ANY of the post I just made, correcting your faulty memory of the initial episode between us. Prior to that b.s., I had treated you with all due respect, anytime we had seen each other (even though you were and are the laughing stock of most of the pool world). You started it...never apologized for it...and continue to run off at the mouth, even all these years later. I even offered to "bury the hatchet" when you phoned me repeatedly a couple of years ago, and were supposed to come to Bozeman, and meet face to face, for a couple of pool games and a beer. You showed up, but of course, never called me, nor tried to find me (the manager of the MSU rec center told me all about your 'visit', trying to get them to book you). I've only been in the phone book in Bozeman for 20 years...and everyone on campus knows my cell number. But so be it...you want to continue the BS...okay by me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Scott Lee

joeblow
02-15-2007, 12:11 PM

Scott Lee
02-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Done...At least you admit that you post under dozens of assumed identities...to whatever end, for whatever purpose.
That's all I really wanted you to admit anyway.

Scott Lee

joeblow
02-15-2007, 01:08 PM

bsmutz
02-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Can't we please change his name to "Idiot Larry" or "Incredibly Dense Larry" or "Hopelessly in Love with Himself Larry"? It just seems so much more descriptive of him than the FL we now all know him by...

Deeman3
02-15-2007, 04:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> Can't we please change his name to "Idiot Larry" or "Incredibly Dense Larry" or "Hopelessly in Love with Himself Larry"? It just seems so much more descriptive of him than the FL we now all know him by... <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> All pretty descriptive. How about Faust Larry. That would probably flyover his inflated head but, what the heck. At least he got my attention away from the NPR side for a while and made the "Mistake" of saying he was driving down I-85 (runs through Atlanta) after being in Rangoon, then wherever else, whoever else he has occupied the body/soul of. A friend P.M.'ed with quite a bit of glee as he found all this diatribe entertaining so, you know some of us have to get more of a life. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It is mindful of wolfing that we all see on occasion but the asertion that he is fequently on I-85 medicated or not, frightens me as I have to drive on that interstate as I go through Atlanta to visit my 80 year old step-father (who by the way, could give F/L the orange crush and still win). /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font color>
Hey, if I hadn't taken this time to banter with the old fart, I'd have just had to make soemone else's life miserable today. At least his ego is bullet proof. He will never have to undergo self appreciation therapy.

DeeMan
I'll just wait to take his student's money /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif