PDA

View Full Version : What's a "sleeper" ?

Chopstick
02-08-2007, 05:08 PM
I have been wondering about this question for nearly thiry years. I'm hoping that maybe somebody can tell me what this means. Way back when back in Memphis I got to shooting kinda sporty and I had some backers who used to take me around to rooms in the mid-south area for some scuffling. Just small time stuff. Nothing big. I was really poor back in those days. I was happy for the few dollars we made together.

One night, in River City billiards in Memphis, there was this big blond haired player that I had seen before in other rooms practicing on the "game table". Every big money game that happened in there was on this table. I had seen this guy hanging with all the real players in town before. My backer pointed to him and said what about him. I knew this guy was waaayyy dangerous on the table but I was feelin froggy and I said sure, I'll play em.

My backer went over to set up a game. He came back after a minute and this is what the player told him.

"That guy's a sleeper and I ain't messin with em."

To this day that question still naggs me. Can anybody give me a clue what that means?

bsmutz
02-08-2007, 06:11 PM
It's someone that will lull you into a catatonic state and then roll right over you. I think it would come from the sleeper wave at the coast. You are convinced that you are out of harm's way, then comes this huge wave that goes way beyond where the others did, catching you off guard. That's my guess.

bradb
02-08-2007, 06:20 PM
I heard that expression once in describing a player who throws off his game looking for a big double up. Could be anything though.

dg-in-centralpa
02-09-2007, 06:01 AM
My thought would be that a "Sleeper" is someone who's a little above average but at any given moment will play like a pro. You don't know which guy you'll get.

DG - still trying to wake up

Deeman3
02-09-2007, 07:15 AM
All have good answers but in the 1970's at River City in Memphis it referred to someone who played very well in small action but hit a much higher gear, on purpose or through conpetitivness, once the money became bigger. I know, I used that term in that same pool hall on occasion.

We all thought of Louie Roberts as a sleeper until we knew him better. Lou Jones was a sleeper for sure.....could not play a lick for $5 but was jam up for $100. His finances, he had to be......

DeeMan
a snorer, not a sleeper

DickLeonard
02-09-2007, 07:15 AM
Chopstick my interpretation of a sleeper is one who always plays just good enuff to win. Never shows his real speed, a master of pool disguises.####

Chopstick
02-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys, for clearing that up for me. You would not believe how that has been bugging me all these years.

And Mr. Deeman, my memory is a bit fuzzy but I believe that you are the one who said it. I was scared of you back then and I'm still scared today.

PettyPoint 2007
My laser is on order.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hondo
02-09-2007, 10:23 AM
To me, DG in Centralpa gave the best answer.
I would add to that, also a comer who's likely
to get much better in the near future.

Deeman3
02-09-2007, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> Thanks guys, for clearing that up for me. You would not believe how that has been bugging me all these years.

And Mr. Deeman, my memory is a bit fuzzy but I believe that you are the one who said it. I was scared of you back then and I'm still scared today.

PettyPoint 2007
My laser is on order.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> If memory serves me right, in our last match up, I should be the frightened one! It reminds me of a conversation with my step-father in about 1967 after he had won a very big match up with Kanard. I said. "I'll just wait you out. One day, I'll be 50 and you'll be in your late 70's and I run over you!'

I'm 54, he's 80 and still gives me all the game I can handle. I may smack him in 9 ball on occasion but he whups my butt in straight pool almost every time! </font color>

Thanks for the reminder of River City, Funland and all those "real" pool halls.

DeeMan
getting the urge to climb up on the table for a shot every once in a while /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif (Memphis Thing)

Vapros
02-09-2007, 10:38 AM
My idea of a sleeper is a player who develops into a dangerous opponent, without anyone really noticing. Maybe he is a great talent, or an enthusiast who has devoted a lot of time to serious practice. Until such time as the word gets around that he can really play, and people begin to fear him or respect his game, he is a sleeper. Not at all the same as the guy who might play below his speed in order to trap someone.

Chopstick
02-09-2007, 12:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>

Thanks for the reminder of River City, Funland and all those "real" pool halls.

DeeMan
getting the urge to climb up on the table for a shot every once in a while /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif (Memphis Thing) <hr /></blockquote>

LMAF! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I saw one guy get up there on his knees. He was down on the shot with his butt sitcking up in the air. It was about the silliest thing I ever saw in a pool hall.

Kanard! My god. Ya know that's all I ever wanted to be when I grow up as a player. I never wanted to a champion or anything . I just wanted to one of the local tough guys like Kanard or Richard Ausitn.

I never have been one to lay down in a game to trap anybody. I had a fellow try to teach me how once but I just didn't feel right about it. Some people used to think that I did because sometimes, something happens because the moon is right or whatever and I do things that I am not supposed to be able to do. It is just a fluke thing that I have no control over.

One time I broke and ran at banks with a fifteen ball rack and I didn't even know that I did it. I remember breaking the balls and walking around the table looking for a shot and the guy walked up and handed my money. I said "Huh, what's this for?" He said "You just ran out and I quit." Between the break and that guy walking up I don't remember a thing.

It never happens anymore. Maybe I need to make a sacrifice to the pool gods or something.

Deeman3
02-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Chopstick,

Sorry old buddy but I just "outed" you over on the NRP side in the Anna Nicole Smith situation.

You got room down in Florida for Chopstick Junior? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DeeMan
I think Richard Austin still plays around Memphis but have not seen him in many years

bradb
02-09-2007, 02:10 PM
There are also sleepers who are good players but not necessarily the best. They look for sucker handicaps by completely hiding their ability.

I remember this character who looked (and smelled) like a bum... allways a drink in his hand. Yet everytime he got in a game he some how won. He made it look like luck. I decided to watch him for a while and noticed he rarely actually bought a drink! Although never losing he still maintained his image of a poor player. After a while everyone quit spotting him, but there was always fresh fish to come in the door. I don't think anyone ever saw how good he really was.

Deeman3
02-09-2007, 02:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> There are also sleepers who are good players but not necessarily the best. They look for sucker handicaps by completely hiding their ability.

I remember this character who looked (and smelled) like a bum... allways a drink in his hand. Yet everytime he got in a game he some how won. He made it look like luck. I decided to watch him for a while and noticed he never actually bought a drink! Although never losing he still maintained his image of a poor player. After a while everyone quit spotting him, but there was always fresh fish to come in the door. I don't think anyone ever saw how good he really was. <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FatsRedux
02-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Sleeper: someone or something unpromising or unnoticed that suddenly attains prominence or value &lt;the low-budget film became the summer's sleeper&gt;

Fats

bradb
02-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Not to beat a dead horse to death here but I just remembered where else I heard the term sleeper.

I was reading a book on horse racing and a sleeper was an unknown super fast horse new to the scene on the handicap tracks. They carried no extra weight until their record was found out. Until then they cleaned up.