PDA

View Full Version : Cue case search...

Dagwood
02-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Hey ya'll...not new to the board as most of you know but I"m having some issues here, and know that this is the place to troubleshoot. I'm having a new cue made and am looking for a nice case to go with it and the others that I have. Right now I'm looking at a Whitten 3x6, but would like more options maker wise than that. I tried locating the Jack Justice Cue Cases page as well as a New York Cue Case (IIRC...not sure of the name) retailer but couldn't find any. Could someone help me out here?

Unless there is a new case maker out there that I haven't heard of, those are the only three I'm considering. In-Stroke makes the style case (tube style) that I'm looking for, but doesn't have the structural integrity that I want, and I've never really cared for Porper and It's George! cases either. Just looking for some direction to the two cue makers that I can't seem to find. Google isn't being very friendly in this case...the only thing I can find on Jack Justice cases is a retailer, and I would prefer to order it directly through him. As far as New York Cases go...I can't find anything on them anywhere. Maybe I just have the name wrong...could be. Any help is appreciated....

Dags

StillLearnin
02-08-2007, 10:03 PM
New York case maker might be Jim Murnak. His cases are getting rave reviews from lots of folks at AZB. Jim is a great guy. If I was looking for a new custom case, I would certainly talk with him.

Tom

neuromancers
02-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Hello Dagwood, you might find this pool cue case guide useful. Goodluck in your search!

Felix
Pool Cue Case Guide (http://pickyguide.com/sports_and_recreation/pool_cue_cases_guide.html)

Rich R.
02-09-2007, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dagwood:</font><hr> Hey ya'll...not new to the board as most of you know but I"m having some issues here, and know that this is the place to troubleshoot. I'm having a new cue made and am looking for a nice case to go with it and the others that I have. Right now I'm looking at a Whitten 3x6, but would like more options maker wise than that. I tried locating the Jack Justice Cue Cases page as well as a New York Cue Case (IIRC...not sure of the name) retailer but couldn't find any. Could someone help me out here?

Unless there is a new case maker out there that I haven't heard of, those are the only three I'm considering. In-Stroke makes the style case (tube style) that I'm looking for, but doesn't have the structural integrity that I want, and I've never really cared for Porper and It's George! cases either. Just looking for some direction to the two cue makers that I can't seem to find. Google isn't being very friendly in this case...the only thing I can find on Jack Justice cases is a retailer, and I would prefer to order it directly through him. As far as New York Cases go...I can't find anything on them anywhere. Maybe I just have the name wrong...could be. Any help is appreciated....<hr /></blockquote>
Dags, stop looking. Go directly to Jack Justis, Do Not Pass Go, and order a case. They are the best.
http://www.justiscases.net/index.html

SpiderMan
02-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Are you buying for looks, practicality, pride of ownership, or cue protection?

All the cases you are considering are extremely heavy. They look great and protect your cues about as well as the cheap cases, but they are all heavy as hell. You'll be making a tradeoff - the nice, expensive, real-leather look vs practicality. I wouldn't enjoy walking far on the 'Vegas strip with a heavy leather 3x6 over my shoulder. But if all you do is carry the case from your den to your car, go for it.

SpiderMan

Cornerman
02-09-2007, 07:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Are you buying for looks, practicality, pride of ownership, or cue protection?

All the cases you are considering are extremely heavy. <hr /></blockquote>The Justis isn't extremely heavy. At 3x6, it's still heavy, but the current model (ProLite) is a full 1.5 lbs or more lighter than the previous. That's a full cue with two shaft lighter.

Also, Different Cases feedback and suggestions (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=480401&amp;postcount=7)

Fred

Tarheel
02-09-2007, 08:16 AM
I own two Whittens, a Ron Thomas and a Jim Murnak. I used to own a Justice. Whitten has a great 2x3 design and Ron Thomas makes a very nice Fellini style 1x2. If heavy is not a big deal and 3x6's will be fairly large then check Murnak's web site. Absolutely beautiful work with many design options.
Murnak’s web site: http://fist-inc.com/general%20leather/cuemenumain.htm

Dagwood
02-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Weight isn't a concern for me at all. After hiking through the mountains of Afghanistan with 120+ lbs. on my back, I think I can handle 10 lbs. on my shoulder. LOL. Thanks for the help everyone. I think after looking at the three sites, that it's between the Murnak and Whitten cases. The Justice cases, while great cases that offer great protection, don't have the look that I'm going for. Personal preference there, nothing against them. I'm leaning towards a Murnak vintage right now, but since I'm not going to be ordering this until close to the time that my cue is done, that might change. Too bad New York cases went out of business apparently. Oh well. Again thanks for the help everyone.

Dags

onepocketchump
02-11-2007, 10:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dagwood:</font><hr> Hey ya'll...not new to the board as most of you know but I"m having some issues here, and know that this is the place to troubleshoot. I'm having a new cue made and am looking for a nice case to go with it and the others that I have. Right now I'm looking at a Whitten 3x6, but would like more options maker wise than that. I tried locating the Jack Justice Cue Cases page as well as a New York Cue Case (IIRC...not sure of the name) retailer but couldn't find any. Could someone help me out here?

Unless there is a new case maker out there that I haven't heard of, those are the only three I'm considering. In-Stroke makes the style case (tube style) that I'm looking for, but doesn't have the structural integrity that I want, and I've never really cared for Porper and It's George! cases either. Just looking for some direction to the two cue makers that I can't seem to find. Google isn't being very friendly in this case...the only thing I can find on Jack Justice cases is a retailer, and I would prefer to order it directly through him. As far as New York Cases go...I can't find anything on them anywhere. Maybe I just have the name wrong...could be. Any help is appreciated....

Dags <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Dags,

I just want to ask what about the structural integrity does Instroke lack? I ask because I studied all the cases from all the makers before I built Instroke Cases and for strength and protection the Instroke is second to none. I don't own Instroke anymore but the last cases I saw a few months ago are still holding true to the way I designed them.

For looks you really can't beat the sleek look of Whitten, the personal style of Justis, or the innovative pocket design of Mnurnak right now. If I still owned Instroke I'd be upgrading the styles to reflect the inspiration of these three.

But for structural integrity, the Instroke still gives all three the seven ball, imo.

John

BLACKHEART
02-12-2007, 05:57 AM
Go to www.nittanyleather.com (http://www.nittanyleather.com)
Brian Bonner is a new case maker, making a beautiful, light weight, leather case. He made one for me &amp; I love it...JER

hondo
02-12-2007, 07:46 AM
You might also take a look at OnQ. But if you can
afford it, get a justis.

Snapshot9
02-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Just out of curiousity more than anything else, I have never seen anyone post what a 2 x 4 or a 3 x 6 Whitten case weighs empty. Listen I have always been strong for my size (5'7"), lifted weights for over 40 years, but when I took a fully loaded Porper 4 x 8 to Vegas for 10 days, my shoulder got so sore from carrying it around all day, everyday, and I feel, affected how I played.

Make absolutely sure, that the shoulder strap is WIDE, and padded if you get a case bigger than a 2 x 4. Narrow shoulder straps end up cutting into your shoulder after awhile especially with the jarring of walking with it. This is also a problem I had with the It's George case I had.

I would love a beautiful leather 3 x 5/6 case, but I find that I like to update cases every so often with new features out for them or conveniences, so I opt for a less expensive case, but one with all the options I like. I have a vinyl (2 types) 3 x 5 soft/hard case with tubes, spring loaded butts, shafts on one side, butts on the other, load them up or down, good wide shoulder padded strap, very good industrial rubber handle (fits hand better than leather handle), good pockets with seperate jump butt section with zipper for a mere $84. So what if it wears out in 5 years, for that price I can buy an updated version.

And I personalized mine some with a custom made 'Snapshot' patch that I put on the small pocket, with matching colors ID tag on long zipper, and I added a 'Billiards Boys' patch cause I like their logo.

It is the most convenient case I have ever owned. I don't want to have to struggle with a case getting my cues ready or putting them up, or with it in the middle of a set or match, it is too distracting.

But would I like to have a Justis, Murnak, and Whitten case,
you bet I would, they are all really good cases.

hondo
02-12-2007, 12:43 PM
I hear you, man. My two nicest cases are an OnQ ostrich
3x6 and an Instroke Buffalo 3x7. Both are heavy. The
OnQ is real heavy. I don't need a Justis, Whitten, or
Murnak, but I'd sure love to have them.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> Just out of curiousity more than anything else, I have never seen anyone post what a 2 x 4 or a 3 x 6 Whitten case weighs empty. Listen I have always been strong for my size (5'7"), lifted weights for over 40 years, but when I took a fully loaded Porper 4 x 8 to Vegas for 10 days, my shoulder got so sore from carrying it around all day, everyday, and I feel, affected how I played.

Make absolutely sure, that the shoulder strap is WIDE, and padded if you get a case bigger than a 2 x 4. Narrow shoulder straps end up cutting into your shoulder after awhile especially with the jarring of walking with it. This is also a problem I had with the It's George case I had.

I would love a beautiful leather 3 x 5/6 case, but I find that I like to update cases every so often with new features out for them or conveniences, so I opt for a less expensive case, but one with all the options I like. I have a vinyl (2 types) 3 x 5 soft/hard case with tubes, spring loaded butts, shafts on one side, butts on the other, load them up or down, good wide shoulder padded strap, very good industrial rubber handle (fits hand better than leather handle), good pockets with seperate jump butt section with zipper for a mere $84. So what if it wears out in 5 years, for that price I can buy an updated version.

And I personalized mine some with a custom made 'Snapshot' patch that I put on the small pocket, with matching colors ID tag on long zipper, and I added a 'Billiards Boys' patch cause I like their logo.

It is the most convenient case I have ever owned. I don't want to have to struggle with a case getting my cues ready or putting them up, or with it in the middle of a set or match, it is too distracting.

But would I like to have a Justis, Murnak, and Whitten case,
you bet I would, they are all really good cases. <hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
02-12-2007, 01:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote onepocketchump:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dagwood:</font><hr> Hey ya'll...not new to the board as most of you know but I"m having some issues here, and know that this is the place to troubleshoot. I'm having a new cue made and am looking for a nice case to go with it and the others that I have. Right now I'm looking at a Whitten 3x6, but would like more options maker wise than that. I tried locating the Jack Justice Cue Cases page as well as a New York Cue Case (IIRC...not sure of the name) retailer but couldn't find any. Could someone help me out here?

Dags <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Dags,

I just want to ask what about the structural integrity does Instroke lack? I ask because I studied all the cases from all the makers before I built Instroke Cases and for strength and protection the Instroke is second to none. I don't own Instroke anymore but the last cases I saw a few months ago are still holding true to the way I designed them.

For looks you really can't beat the sleek look of Whitten, the personal style of Justis, or the innovative pocket design of Mnurnak right now. If I still owned Instroke I'd be upgrading the styles to reflect the inspiration of these three.

But for structural integrity, the Instroke still gives all three the seven ball, imo.

John <hr /></blockquote>

Hi John,

I won't try to guess what the original poster meant by "structural integrity", but I did know a couple of people who had problems with that little self-twisting latch tab. It would fail to lock in the "released" position, so you had to fiddle with it to get the case flap shut.

SpiderMan

onepocketchump
02-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Hi John,

I won't try to guess what the original poster meant by "structural integrity", but I did know a couple of people who had problems with that little self-twisting latch tab. It would fail to lock in the "released" position, so you had to fiddle with it to get the case flap shut.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, I know. I don't think that's what he meant. Latches and zippers are something that is really beyond the control of the casemaker. We have to put up with what the manufacturer makes and no matter how much we make sure those things work bfore we send a case out there will always be some that develop problems. I fixed many zipper on Whittens and replaced many latches on Justis and other brands. It's just part of life if you use closures that you don't make. I have thought of many ways to solve this problem, some not so elegant but bulletproof. Someday, when I start making cases again I will implement some new features to eliminate latch problems.

Aside: the autoclosing (self-twisting)latches have never been used by Instroke. I rejected them when I first started using latches because I knew that they would tend to break or get stuck. I opted for less parts so as to have less to break. :-) Those types of latches are commonly found on Instroke copies.

JimS
02-14-2007, 08:52 PM
I have a Silver Fox BR-2 semi-hard case (about $110).

I took the cue sleeves out of the main compartment and put in some tubes from a hard case.. I can add or remove tubes at will.

It's lite weight, holds 3x6 in hard tubes, plus my cue extension and a towel and a book, etc, all in the main compartment.

Then there are huge pockets on the outside for all the other stuff and it's not going to attract theives.

Snapshot9
02-15-2007, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I have a Silver Fox BR-2 semi-hard case (about $110).

I took the cue sleeves out of the main compartment and put in some tubes from a hard case.. I can add or remove tubes at will.

It's lite weight, holds 3x6 in hard tubes, plus my cue extension and a towel and a book, etc, all in the main compartment.

Then there are huge pockets on the outside for all the other stuff and it's not going to attract theives. <hr /></blockquote>

You know, when I was looking at cases, the BR-2 was one I was interested in, and they had just redone the pockets to where the bottom pocket could hold a jump butt, but they were too lazy to get new pictures of them (and maybe prices) out to their retailers for their websites. This is something that could be accomplished to all retailers with a days time, so I kind of lost faith in them. This went on for months.

Dagwood
02-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply. When I said the "structural integrity of the case" I was refering to the fact that I can take an empty InStroke case and grabbing it in between the pockets, compress the case. It does go back to its original shape, but there is some give to the material underneath the leather. Whitten and Justice cases you cannot do this to. (don't know about the Murnak cases) I've seen a Whitten left on top of a car and fall off when the car was going 45 down the road and get run over by a car...cues were fine. (of course the leather was chewed to hell). That's the kind of protection that I'm looking for. Weight, like I said above, isn't an issue for me. A 15 lb cue case has nothing on a 140lb rucksack...lol.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love the way the InStroke's look. They're great cases, (I've owned 2 of them, my favorite being with the zippered top 2x4 case, which aren't made anymore unfortunately). I've never had a problem with them falling apart, and, if I weren't able to afford the Whitten, Justice or Murnak cases, that's what I would go with.

Here are some pro's and con's about each of the three that I'm looking at...

Whitten:
Pros - sleekest looking case, most color options for the leather, numerous configuration possiblities, hard inner shell to protect the cues.

Cons - Soft leather used on the exterior which is easy to tear.

Justice:
Pros - Hard leather exterior, numerous configuration possibilities, good cue protection.

Cons - Most expensive out of the three, tooling just not my cup of tea, not too many color options.

Murnak:
Pros - Innovative pocket design and look, numerous strap configurations for easy carrying, more options than the others for actual style of the case.

inner shell????? don't know where to put this....

Cons - Cost could be prohibitive if a custom case is ordered, fewest color possibilities of the three

onepocketchump
03-12-2007, 04:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dagwood:</font><hr> Sorry it took so long to reply. When I said the "structural integrity of the case" I was refering to the fact that I can take an empty InStroke case and grabbing it in between the pockets, compress the case. It does go back to its original shape, but there is some give to the material underneath the leather. Whitten and Justice cases you cannot do this to. (don't know about the Murnak cases) I've seen a Whitten left on top of a car and fall off when the car was going 45 down the road and get run over by a car...cues were fine. (of course the leather was chewed to hell). That's the kind of protection that I'm looking for. Weight, like I said above, isn't an issue for me. A 15 lb cue case has nothing on a 140lb rucksack...lol.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love the way the InStroke's look. They're great cases, (I've owned 2 of them, my favorite being with the zippered top 2x4 case, which aren't made anymore unfortunately). I've never had a problem with them falling apart, and, if I weren't able to afford the Whitten, Justice or Murnak cases, that's what I would go with.
<hr /></blockquote>

The reason you can compress the Instroke is because there is a layer of insulation between the outer covering and the interior tubing. This is something that Justis and Whitten lack. I did this for three reasons. 1. to provide an additional layer of padding between the external forces and the tubes/cues inside. 2. to provide a layer of insulation against temperature swings. 3. to smooth out the transition from outer covering to inner shell.

The result is that the Instroke case is able to withstand much more use than both the Justis and the Whitten. I have numerous stories of Instroke cases withstanding tremendous force and the cues coming out safely.

There are two that stand out. In one a gentleman wrecked his car where the car flipped over and landed on top of the cue case and slid with the case trapped under the roof. The leather was mangled - the guy and his cues were fine. I have pictures. In the other there was a New York player that had his Instroke case strapped to his back while riding his bike. He was hit by a taxi and thrown to the ground. He landed on his back on the case and slid along the pavement. He personally thanked me as he believed the case saved his life. Cues were fine.

In another story a woman ran over her case and it and the cues were fine. In another a guy jacked up his car and the case slipped under the bumper. When he let the jack out the case was holding the car up. Cues were fine.

In another a guy and his buddies were taking a backboard up the basement stairs when it got away from them and slid down the stairs and hit his Instroke right in the middle of the case and knocked it through the drywall. Cues and case were fine.

And there are plenty more like this. Choose the case you like best but don't be under the impression that Justis, Whitten, Mnurnak or any other tube case protects better than an Instroke. Even though I don't own Instroke anymore I still stand behind the product 100% as they are being true to my philosophy on cue protection.

I have shown that a cue can be broken in a case that is not an Instroke simply by slamming it to ground. The cue bounces inside the case and stresses the joint at the handle often cracking it.

The Instroke has the padding inside the tubing to prevent this from happening.

Anyway, that's all about that. Happy hunting.

John

Rangercap
03-15-2007, 05:59 AM

Dags <hr /></blockquote>

NY Case, I believe, is out of business (according to the posts on AZB).

What style are you looking for? What type of leather? Tooling? What is you budget? I make a variety of cases, from 1b1s to 3b6s. Check out my web site for a price list, and some pics of my previous cases.

I only currently have one case right now ready to sell. It white leather, with black pockets, back and lid. I'll be at Valley Forge if you (or anyone else) wants to see it in person.

Brian
www.nittanyleather.com (http://www.nittanyleather.com)