PDA

View Full Version : ...funky rails

02-09-2007, 06:00 PM
...I bought a new table (regulation size) and all was well
...after a while though I noticed that any ball that went into a rail just a little harder than normal skipped or jumped of the rail a bit - some rails more than others
...can anyone tell me what my problem might be?

DeadCrab
02-10-2007, 06:23 AM
I would start by checking the height of the rail cushion (point of cushion above playing surface). It should be between 1.41 and 1.45 inches, and uniform all the way around. Also check to make sure there are no loose spots where the cushion has come unglued. Make sure the rail bolts are tightened.

Deeman3
02-10-2007, 08:02 AM

If you are close to the rail when you shoot these "hard" shots into the rail and you are hitting a bove center, the ball can climb the rial slightly and bounce off. The is more common with the cue ball but "might" happen on occasion when you use a lot of draw close the the ball near a cushion that would transfer spin to the object ball but, in my opinion, it would be an almost invisible effect with the object ball.

DeeMan
the above poster's reply is the most likely the correct answer...

Jal
02-10-2007, 12:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 2468:</font><hr> ...I bought a new table (regulation size) and all was well
...after a while though I noticed that any ball that went into a rail just a little harder than normal skipped or jumped of the rail a bit - some rails more than others
...can anyone tell me what my problem might be?
<hr /></blockquote>You might want to tell us what you mean by "after a while." For instance, are you sure it wasn't doing this to begin with, and then developed later, or could it have been this way all along? Does it happen if you shoot the cueball directly into a cushion, or only with object balls? What kind of spin is on the ball?

The reason I ask is that the cushions on the Gold Crowns where I play are just fine. But the object ball will jump when it's close to the cushion and is hit somewhat hard with draw on the cueball, as Deeman mentioned. I'm not sure whether it's the ball/ball friction lifting the object ball up, or whether it's loft on the cueball causing the object ball to jump. But the point is that this will happen on "good" tables under some circumstances.

If what you're experiencing is not not normal, DeadCrab's answer is probably right. But if you don't get any satisfaction here, you could also try the AZB website, which has a forum dedicated to table mechanics (http://forums.azbilliards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=dcf6aa37b3062f9dab5d30d96a80bf2 3&amp;daysprune=30&amp;f=54).

Jim