PDA

View Full Version : Note to BRussell on inside english on the rail

bradb
02-13-2007, 02:52 PM
HI guy, I thought I would reach you here as your thread has turned in to a 3-ring circus!

Its true that the easiest shot is slight inside top because QB spins inside making OB spin outside (slightly) so when OB hits pocket jaws the spin helps to feed it in. But the answer is: use only if it will keep you in shape.

Place an OB half way down the long rail with the QB at about 45 dg up table and hit it with slight top only. The QB will come directly across on a horizontal line. With varying inside top you can go forward of that line or with outside top you can go behind that line until you scratch in the side pocket.

To get back down table to the end rail- outside bottom. Not enough and you scratch in the side again.

So in a nutshell its a matter of position. The ball will pocket in all these shots if hit clean.

For shots 45 dg (approx) or less If the ball is frozen to rail then strike rail/ball same time. Once its past that, hit the rail a split second first.

The rail shot is quite comman in pool so to master it practice different angles. Its a matter of feel once you get comfortable with it. Its probably the one shot I practice most

Cheers, Brad

BRussell
02-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Hey thanks, and yeah, I'm not sure what happened to my thread. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One thing that's interesting for me to see, not having spent much time talking pool on the internet, is how there's so much disagreement about these things. It leads me to believe that there are probably many good players who don't analyze or verbalize the game much, and don't need to. There are also probably many good players who think they're doing one thing when in fact they physically are actually doing something else. It's the possibility of discrepancies between a person's pool theories and their actual playing that is fascinating to me.

I can't help but wonder if people sometimes over-analyze their playing such that it actually leads them to play worse than they would if they never thought about it at all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But I think I'm kind of an analytical type about these things, as I'm sure most people who bother to post on the internet about pool are, so I think it's valuable to me to talk about it.

rangoonkid
02-13-2007, 04:52 PM

bradb
02-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Kid, or Larry, what ever. Obviously you are a player and it took me a while to get the joke.

BRussell and players like me are amateurs and we like straight forward instruction none of the wobbly crap. It was fun kidding around, threads belong to everybody as you say. But the forum is for most players who want to advance their game. Next time start your own thread and have everybody on. Nohardfeelins. Brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

rangoonkid
02-13-2007, 08:11 PM

bradb
02-13-2007, 08:24 PM
I meant the satire.

I like Deeman and some of the old timers like me, thats why I took his side, but I play with an ex pro, so i get lots of back and forth instruction. Besides I really have not learned anything on play I havent already known and used.

Players at my level try and keep it simple. As noted, if you over think this game you sink like a stone in a tight game. I've played for 40 years and I still work on the basics. I'm sure you go back to them when your game is struggling. -Brad

rangoonkid
02-13-2007, 08:49 PM

bradb
02-13-2007, 08:59 PM
I did'nt say I knew it all, you must listen. I said I have an instructor and I 've tried all the advanced stuff, but I'm an amateur and I keep it simple. If I ever decide I want to turn pro...(in my dreams) then I will go to that next level.

Whats with all this cynicism? To me this is just a talk forum nothing else.

rangoonkid
02-13-2007, 09:52 PM

bradb
02-13-2007, 10:06 PM
They will but not in pool. Its just a hobby for me now.

Best to you, It'll go easier if you learn to give the other guy an ear and not a kick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott Lee
02-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Hey Larry...gonna be at VF again this yr? We could get Dee to come up, and Eric could ref a match between you two.
I'll take Dee for $500...I bet there'd be a TON of action on this match! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee

Rich R.
02-14-2007, 07:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Hey Larry...gonna be at VF again this yr? We could get Dee to come up, and Eric could ref a match between you two.
I'll take Dee for $500...I bet there'd be a TON of action on this match! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>
Scott, please let me know the correct time of this bout. I missed the last one by minutes.
Current record ---- Larry 0 ---- Challengers 1

Cornerman
02-14-2007, 07:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Its true that the easiest shot is slight inside top because QB spins inside making OB spin outside (slightly) so when OB hits pocket jaws the spin helps to feed it in.<hr /></blockquote>
Dr. Dave's HSV 4.10 proves this to be untrue. Outside spin is not transferred to the object ball. Inside English helps due to other reasons. They were detailed by Fran Crimi and myself.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr>But the answer is: use only if it will keep you in shape. <hr /></blockquote> Please read my post on the the two position paths using inside-english on the frozen cushion shot. It might be helpful to understand all the position possibilities and why you would use them.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr>
a) contact the cushion first and then hit the object ball as the cue ball rebounds off the cushion,

or

b) you can contact the cushion first and then hit the object ball while the cueball is driving into the cushion. Virtually all the ranges in between have a good shot at making the balls.

a) might look like this:

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AbpJ3PPkw3UbpJ3UcYs3kPkw3kbgq4kaym4kTNe4uAQS@

and

b) might look like this.

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3Abgx3PJXb3Ubgx3UcYt3kJXb3kboi3kFlj4kbHU1kBnl4uA IU@

Understanding the subtle difference in a) vs. b) gives you all options. IMO a) has the higher margin of error, which is important the farther the ball gets from the pocket. Either way, you're contacting the cushion first. a) is a short kick. b) is an overcut (ed: not a short kick) adjusting for throw.
<hr /></blockquote>

Fred &lt;~~~ it's almost impossible to hit the ball and cushion at the same time.

Cornerman
02-14-2007, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BRussell:</font><hr> Hey thanks, and yeah, I'm not sure what happened to my thread. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote> Your post was yours. The thread belongs to everyone.

Fred

Stretch
02-14-2007, 07:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rangoonkid:</font><hr> I go back to when there was no game dude. Take what ever side you wish to, I do wish you well and later, go back and re read what I taught. It will help you. You need to copy it now. It will probably be gone tamale once the gang forms it lynching party. They want no new teachings. They only want to be told, what they already know. There is security and warmth in having you head stuck deep into the sand. Then, you can never be wrong.
Always remember, sticks and stones, never allow words on the internet to bother you. One must have a thick skin.

Ciao, amico mio <hr /></blockquote>

Larry Dude, nothing you've said is "new". Describing your point of view as "teachings" is a gross overstatement. Your oppinions carry no more or no less wieght than anyones in here. If people pay you for anything it's to here your huge ego spew self gratification all over the place while you redicule others. It must be a great show! Keep bullying your way onto threads and then cry foul when others fire back. It's what you do best. St.

Deeman3
02-14-2007, 08:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Hey Larry...gonna be at VF again this yr? We could get Dee to come up, and Eric could ref a match between you two.

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Scott:

Although I promised to stay out of the snow this year, I'd make the trip if, in addition to the bets, he would agree to listen to my adivce when I win. 80 mg. Valium per day, 250 mg. Lithium BID 6 times a day and sewing his lips shut for a month. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

DeeMan

Deeman3
02-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Brad,

You have always shown yourself on this forum to be inciteful, a very good questioner of facts and have provided us with some nice topics and discussions. It is obvious you are an intellegent adult who enjoys this game. You will find all of these qualities worth absolutely nothing in dealing with people who live in Atlanta and purport to live in a prison in Rangoon. Please don't let our petty bickering chase you away. I enjoy your posts and our discussions. We are all equal here and I have learned form eabout everyone on this forum who is respectful of others. Sometimes I should display Fred's or Dr. Dave's patience but the alpha kid in me gets loose on occasion. My mom always said I talk too much. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

DeeMan

bradb
02-14-2007, 09:57 AM
No problem deeman, and thanks for that. The other thread was certainly interesting, and the satire was a hoot, but its easy to tell whos got some class here and your neck of the woods stands tall.

I would like to add one thing for others. When I mention things like hitting ball/rail same time I'm talking amateur to another amateur. I'm aware that its impossible to do that perfectly. Its a "feel thing" more than a technical venture. For players at my level, over analizing what is really a simple shot can be distracting. Having said that its interesting to know these things and they can be useful in practice but lordy just keeping my head down sometimes is a bear!

This is for RK..."May the sewers of rangoon back up in your backswing."

Sorry RK, had to say that. My money is on deeman. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

rangoonkid
02-14-2007, 10:49 AM

bradb
02-14-2007, 11:05 AM
RK, you have cursed poor Mr Russell wrongly, that was me... Brad. Please remove the curse immediately, there could be a law suit here and you're nice and safe in the cooler.

We love you RK, but you don't know this because thats why your'e locked up, your'e paranoid and think the world hates you. They won't take you off your meds until you don't drop this fantasy that you were once a pool pro and let you play with anything pointy like a cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Love! Brad.

Now don't constrew love to mean "nothing" as in tennis. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rangoonkid
02-14-2007, 11:26 AM

bradb
02-14-2007, 11:41 AM
I feel your pain!... or maybe its that bad burrito I got at Taco Time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

rangoonkid
02-14-2007, 11:59 AM

rangoonkid
02-14-2007, 12:20 PM

bradb
02-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Ok RK. I'm feelun the curse fo sure.

Here's the plan. Convince the guards you are really a hustler by laying all the lingo you got on them. It sounds pro and you even hit some good vibes there. That'll impress them and they may sneak you out. Tell them ya gotta big game with a big time guy and you need the backing. If you can't get the dough go up to play Deeman for bragging rights...It'll be good therapy!!... this could be your ticket out.
I gotta go with Deeman though dude, no offence now, but comin out of the nut house man, I donno!