PDA

View Full Version : Did the best "man" win? I think not!

Harold Acosta
07-21-2002, 06:52 PM
The Pool Gods abandoned the best man again, Strickland won the World Pool Championship on luck alone. That's a bummer since I was definitely rooting for Bustamante. Did the best man win? Naah, the luckiest player did, although the info below will contradict me.

Here's some info from the WPC Site:

Earl ‘The Pearl’ Strickland, the 41 year-old from Greensboro, North Carolina, has won the 2002 Hasseroder World Pool Championship after beating Francisco Bustamante 17 - 15 in Sunday's final at the Cardiff International Arena.

The match was a thriller with neither player being more than three racks ahead at any time but it was Strickland who came on strong down the home stretch to take the title, his third WPA World Championship.

Bustamante, who had suffered severe personal tragedy earlier this week, when he learned of the death of his baby daughter, lead for most of the match but Strickland gamely stuck with him as neither man could get sufficient momentum to run racks at a time.

The balls so often ran awkwardly after the break and there were an incredible four scratches and one jump off the table during the match.

The CIA was packed to the rafters for the eagerly anticipated clash between the tourney’s two in-form cueman but instead of an explosive rack stringing fest, it turned out to be a cagey tactical battle.

Strickland’s safety play throughout was exemplary and he escaped from Bustamante’s safeties with some quality kick-shots. However, every time Strickland seized the initiative his ensuing break shot failed to deliver the goods.

Strickland grabbed the initiative when 15 - 13 down and looking in danger, as Bustamante scratched on the break as the pool gods frowned on him.

That gave The Pearl the chance he had been praying for and Bustamante never won another rack. In the next Busta got back to the table but Earl had too much in the safety department for him.

The final two racks of the match saw Strickland complete very difficult run-outs and when the final 9-ball dropped Earl jumped onto the match table and started pumping his fists.

Strickland picks up a cheque for $65,000 whilst Bustamante wins $30,000.

Cueless Joey
07-21-2002, 07:00 PM
Earl won. That's what the scoreboard reads and life is about the scoreboard. Leonard beat Hagler. I can argue all day that he did not but it won't change the results.

nAz
07-21-2002, 07:02 PM
He won cause of luck? damn i cant imagine how bad he would have beaten BustaMove if he had any kind of Talent daa

NineBallGirl what i tell ya

9 Ball Girl
07-21-2002, 08:22 PM
Hi Harold. I'm curious to know, why do you feel that Busta was the best man to win?

07-21-2002, 10:06 PM
Yeah running 4 racks 'TO WIN THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS" in a row is "pure luck"..

Come On..

Carson

Voodoo Daddy
07-22-2002, 01:34 AM
Leonerd beat Hagler...man that brings back the worst night in modern middleweight fights. Clearly a matter of Hagler getting screwed but thats another issue, isnt it? So Earl won...beat Bustamante, a great player. I'm sure Harold and Lorri arent very happy with the result but I AM!!! Thank god we all dont think the same...it sure would be boring world. I will be at the US Open...rooting for Earl because I can fade all his B.S. and see the real deal, talent!

=k=
07-22-2002, 06:35 AM
hmmmm i think this is earls third time.. and how many for bustamante??? talent's talent whether you like it or not.. imho

Tom_In_Cincy
07-22-2002, 06:45 AM
This may go down as ONE of the greatest World Championship title matches of all time.

Neither competitor was more than 3 games ahead in a race to 17.

Both were capable of running multiple racks at anytime.

With Bustamante ahead at 15-13, Earl gets lucky and wins the next 4 racks to win the Championship for the 3rd time.

Bustamante is still looking for his 1st World Title.

I thought both players were capable of wining.. If luck were involved it was the bad luck that Bustamante got.

Having to play Earl.

Bustamante would have beaten anyone else.

Kato
07-22-2002, 07:52 AM
Sorry guys, this is long. If you don't have some time to try and decipher my ramblings then please move to the next available post.

I was under the impression that winning the tournament was the object? So if that were the object then Earl Strickland was the best "man" during that tournament. Tiger Woods was the best golfer in the British Open yet he didn't win either.

What kind of "man" Earl happens to be is irrelevant inside the confines of tournament play. For us to say he doesn't "deserve" to win or shouldn't win because he's not the better "man" is ridiculous.

I've never met Earl Strickland. I've never seen Earl play live. In spite of that it's obvious to me that his talent level is top shelf world class. I won't judge Earl "the person" until I meet him for myself and I know that if his "switch" is on I probably won't even get to meet him. That's ok. Even if I did talk to him once or twice would it give me firm enough footing in which to judge him?

I live in the United States of America. I believe in freedom of speech and freedom of expression. I don't have to like the way somebody behaves and I don't have to like what they say. I do believe in tolerating people within the confines of the law and as long as they don't break the law it is their right to say or act as they feel. Earl may act "unprofessional" in the eyes of many but does this give us the right to condemn him? Not in my eyes.

Kato~~~the rambling wonder

ted harris
07-22-2002, 08:07 AM
Very well said!

Nostroke
07-22-2002, 08:19 AM
I saw the final. There was no luck factor at all. IT WAS a pretty sloppy match for a final, Earl just hung in there and got the job done in the end. IMHO C S Yang would have robbed either one of them the way they played.

Lester
07-22-2002, 08:29 AM
Earl may act "unprofessional" in the eyes of many but does this give us the right to condemn him? Not in my eyes.

Kato~~~the rambling wonder
<hr></blockquote>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Kato, does Voodoo know you are posting "serious" opinions on this board? ----- I'm tellin'. ha ha Well said, and you echoed what I was thinking. ****Lester****

DEADSTOKE32
07-22-2002, 08:49 AM
O GOD NO!! IS THE FIRST THING THAT COMES 2 MIND, IF YOU THINK HIS HEAD IS BIG NOW ,DAM IT'S GOING 2 BE HARD FOR HIM 2 GET ON THE PLANE. 2 COME HOME. NOW WHEN I GO 2 THE OPEN I HAVE 2 HEAR "OLD SCOTTY BOY" CALL HIM THE THREE WORLD CHAMP! IF HE HAS 2 SAID THAT EVERYTIME "EARL" COMES OUT 2 PLAY A MATCH I'M GOING 2 B SICK.IT'S GOOD THAT HE WON BUT NO MATTER HOW MANY OF THINGS HE WINS . HE STILL HAS NO RESPECT FOR OTHER PLAYERS. BUT WHAT CAN U ASK 4 FROM "EARL" .
GOOD LUCK AT THE OPEN .YOU'LL NEED IT...

07-22-2002, 09:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Harold Acosta:</font><hr> [b]The Pool Gods abandoned the best man again, Strickland won the World Pool Championship on luck alone. That's a bummer since I was definitely rooting for Bustamante. Did the best man win? Naah, the luckiest player did, although the info below will contradict me.

ya its real lucky to make it all the way through your bracket... then eliminatew some of the best pool players in the worl to make it to the finals.. then lucky to win a race to 17..... give your head a shake!

07-22-2002, 09:31 AM
well ofcourse earl played more world championships than bustamante! And its obvious that bustamante is the better player! bustamante has made the most difficult shots of the match.

07-22-2002, 09:33 AM
coz he's the better player. ok?

ted harris
07-22-2002, 09:38 AM
Smoke another one and go back to sleep!

07-22-2002, 09:51 AM
I don't think there's any doubt that Earl deserved the match on the merit of his performance. The only questions that remain are whether he should be allowed to heckle his opponents, and whether this bigot, should really be the 9-ball Champion of the World.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-22-2002, 10:54 AM
I guess Earl is very thankful that you haven't anything to do with the world of Pool...

If you really think that Earl Strickland is a bigot, a heckler of his opponents and should be stripped of his Championship because of this, then I suggest you direct your suggestions/questions/opinions to the World Billiards and Pool Association.

9 Ball Girl
07-22-2002, 11:15 AM
Point taken. But now we know the Pearl is THE World Champion. So I guess the best man won.

Harold Acosta
07-22-2002, 03:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Hi Harold. I'm curious to know, why do you feel that Busta was the best man to win? <hr></blockquote>

The answer is quite simple, since Earl has been "stricken" from my Golden Book I was rooting for Busta. Busta is a "man", Strickland is a "racist jerk."

Harold Acosta
07-22-2002, 03:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Carson:</font><hr> Yeah running 4 racks 'TO WIN THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS" in a row is "pure luck"..

Come On..

Carson

<hr></blockquote>

Any top Pro could run 4 racks, Earl got lucky, since he was scared that Busta would run him over. Earls own words! Everyone who followed the last racks knows that!

Harold Acosta
07-22-2002, 04:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: =k=:</font><hr> hmmmm i think this is earls third time.. and how many for bustamante??? talent's talent whether you like it or not.. imho <hr></blockquote>

....and luck is luck!

Harold Acosta
07-22-2002, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> This may go down as ONE of the greatest World Championship title matches of all time.

Neither competitor was more than 3 games ahead in a race to 17.

Both were capable of running multiple racks at anytime.

With Bustamante ahead at 15-13, Earl gets lucky and wins the next 4 racks to win the Championship for the 3rd time.

Bustamante is still looking for his 1st World Title.

I thought both players were capable of wining.. If luck were involved it was the bad luck that Bustamante got.

Having to play Earl.

Bustamante would have beaten anyone else. <hr></blockquote>

Tom, everything you are saying is true, that's why I start my thread saying: "The Pool Gods abandoned the best man again, Strickland won the World Pool Championship on luck alone. "

I also recognized that the remaining thread contradicts my statement. I still believe Earl got "lucky."

07-22-2002, 04:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Tom_In_Cincy: If you really think that Earl Strickland is a bigot, a heckler of his opponents and should be stripped of his Championship because of this, then I suggest you direct your suggestions/questions/opinions to the World Billiards and Pool Association.

<hr></blockquote>

Shut up, fool. Suddenly my opinion is an attempt to strip Strickland of his title? If you think your jumped up amateur crap gives your opinion more weight, or excuses your absolute <font color=red>refusal</font color=red> to look at the facts, you're way off the mark. Do you really believe that he doesn't heckle his opponents?

All i wonder now, is whether you want this bigot representing the supposed best of 'your' sport?

Harold Acosta
07-22-2002, 04:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Leonerd beat Hagler...man that brings back the worst night in modern middleweight fights. Clearly a matter of Hagler getting screwed but thats another issue, isnt it? So Earl won...beat Bustamante, a great player. I'm sure Harold and Lorri arent very happy with the result but I AM!!! Thank god we all dont think the same...it sure would be boring world. I will be at the US Open...rooting for Earl because I can fade all his B.S. and see the real deal, talent! <hr></blockquote>

Voodoo, now I'm convinced why the Pool Gods abandoned Busta! You probably cast some "voodoo" spells on a Busta doll and made him look "bad" at the end.

Man!!!, some people have all the luck in the world...outside intervention and all!

LMMFAOL.......

Harold Acosta
07-22-2002, 04:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> [b]

ya its real lucky to make it all the way through your bracket... then eliminatew some of the best pool players in the worl to make it to the finals.. then lucky to win a race to 17..... give your head a shake! <hr></blockquote>

It seems you didn't follow the brackets since day one! "Whiny Pearl" played in a weak bracket, exactly as he did when he won his last US Open! Tell me that ain't luck!

nmshooter
07-22-2002, 04:44 PM
I think if it had been a short race then you could consider it luck but a race to 17 tends to eliminate the lucky ones. Your opinion is just that, your opinion. I still say he won it on skill and he deserved to win it based on that, nothing else.

07-22-2002, 05:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Harold Acosta:</font><hr>

It seems you didn't follow the brackets since day one! "Whiny Pearl" played in a weak bracket, exactly as he did when he won his last US Open! Tell me that ain't luck! <hr></blockquote>

Harold

Did you even follow the brackets. It's one thing to be unhappy about your boy losing but stick to the facts.
Just because you haven't heard of someone doesn't mean they can't play.

Let's compare brackets.

Busti played

Imran Majid-A decent UK Tour Pro.
Christian Reimering-A decent German player who has never made a splash on the Int. front.
Now it gets tough for him
Antonio Lining-A great player no doubt.
Reyes-I don't need to comment.
Ching-Shun Yang-A great young player,best known as Chao's prodigy. He got this far so he must be special.
Earl-Busti was just "unlucky" to lose this one, LOL.

Earl played.

Gary Ponting-A decent Uk player who has beat Busti in the past.
Sin-Young Park-Lol, you got me. I don't have a clue who this is.
Now it gets tough for Earl as well.
Jeremy Jones-No.5 player in the world. 5th Place at 2001 WPC
Takahashi-1998 World 9-ball Champion.
Okumura-1994 World 9-ball Champion
Busti-Earl got really lucky in this one.

Earl beat 2 former champs and then ran 4 racks straight under intense pressure to pull it of in the final. This guy must be the luckiest pool player ever.

Stauber

07-22-2002, 05:47 PM
Some of you people sound far worse than anything Earl ever
said or did the way you're bad mouthing him. I bet if Earl
stayed to play during the loss of a child he would have been
boo'ed forever for it. Everybody there was rooting for Busta.
Hell I saw Tiger Woods slamming his clubs around Saturday
like a madman but everybody seems to understand and
forgive him. Earl worked hard playing his heart out taking
no prisoners and that's how it should be when playing for the
world 9 ball crown and I give him total credit!!
Way to go, Earl!!!

07-22-2002, 05:49 PM
I agree. Earl is one of the best tournament players in the world. Maybe even the best. We're talking about ability not personality. Jim R.

07-22-2002, 06:04 PM
And having said that, what does rhar make you? Jim R.

ted harris
07-22-2002, 06:11 PM
...schwiiing!

Cueless Joey
07-22-2002, 06:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Some of you people sound far worse than anything Earl ever
said or did the way you're bad mouthing him. I bet if Earl
stayed to play during the loss of a child he would have been
boo'ed forever for it. Everybody there was rooting for Busta.
Hell I saw Tiger Woods slamming his clubs around Saturday
like a madman but everybody seems to understand and
forgive him. Earl worked hard playing his heart out taking
no prisoners and that's how it should be when playing for the
world 9 ball crown and I give him total credit!!
Way to go, Earl!!!
<hr></blockquote>......
Earl can break his stick all day if he wants to. But to tell one player to be a "man" for some silly reason or another. Be a "man", don't use a jump cue. Be a "man" and rack the balls yourself. Don't ask the ref Scotty Smith to do it b/c you didn't want controversy. No, be a "man" do it yourself. Tell Efren to be a "man" and break hard.
I wonder how Earl would react if some player told him to act like an "adult".
Jmho. After all, some people defended John Rocker and Marge Schott too.

07-22-2002, 07:54 PM
Ooooo, good one Joey!

07-22-2002, 08:56 PM
Ok I know you don't like Earl, but now you are just making yourself soud stupid. I think your love of Bustemante, or hatered of Strickland has made you blind.

Kato
07-22-2002, 09:37 PM
While it is true that my mind is basically a fertile breeding ground for mosquitos every now and again I have a semi-lucid thought which must come to the surface.

Kato~~~gotta go write my Dale Carnegie Public Speaking graduation speech now.

Voodoo Daddy
07-22-2002, 10:52 PM
Your startin' to catch on Harold...LMFAO!!!

07-22-2002, 10:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> While it is true that my mind is basically a fertile breeding ground for mosquitos every now and again I have a semi-lucid thought which must come to the service.

Kato~~~gotta go write my Dale Carnegie Public Speaking graduation speech now. <hr></blockquote>

ROFLMAOTSDMF!!! Kato, you are so funny!

07-22-2002, 11:32 PM
I actually believe that the best player was not able to win! It was Efren "Bata" Reyes known as the Magician that should have won this year. It just appeared that he just gave away his match with Bustamante because it will just serve as Bustamante's incentive for still participating the tournament despite his child's early departure. I'm not against Bustamante coz I know that's he's a great player too but Efren is just the better player. If Efren will be matched with Earl in the final, Earl will leave this tournament like a crying baby! Efren is definitely the best and even most of the professional players would agree that he is one of the best player in this planet to ever handle a cue stick! Take a look at the tournament player's profile on the World Pool Championships and you'll see that their idol is none other than the Magician from the Philippines. A real champion and a great player should both have the skills and PERSONALITY.
Earl the Bigot has some of the first but none of the last one, he is no match with Efren! Take a look at their head to head matches and the unshining Pearl is totally humbled. It's just sad but the best player of this generation was not able to win but does a sportsmanlike attitude for his countryman. For Earl, the time will come that these LUCKS will never come again!

Go for the real Best!!!

07-23-2002, 02:09 AM
weak bracket???? im not sure i would call anyone that qualified for the world championships weak..... why wouldnt you seed the brackets???... what good would it do the game if archer duel efren busta and earl were all in the same bracket.... you have a warped mind dude.

07-23-2002, 09:54 AM
yah dude.. and i think if we play 9 ball, i can beat u even if im stoned

07-23-2002, 09:56 AM
but still, busta is a better player.

9 Ball Girl
07-23-2002, 10:14 AM
Luck or no luck, the man is $64,000 richer than we are. Dammit! And he did it by playing the game we all love. /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif

Wendy~~reading Play Your Best 9 Ball for the umpteenth time! (hoping to make me better)

Cueless Joey
07-23-2002, 10:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> weak bracket???? im not sure i would call anyone that qualified for the world championships weak..... why wouldnt you seed the brackets???... what good would it do the game if archer duel efren busta and earl were all in the same bracket.... you have a warped mind dude. <hr></blockquote>
Strickland was in equally tough bracket. Archer and Deuel lost. Deuel would have been a tough match. I don't remember Archer beating Strickland lately.

ted harris
07-23-2002, 11:21 AM
Donut? Whoever you are, thanks for making my day a little brighter!