PDA

View Full Version : I bought a "cue tip shaper"...thoughts?

Eturnal
02-14-2007, 01:33 PM
I purshased a "cue tip shaper" at a local sports store....any thoughts on them?

Do they give a good shape?

JimS
02-14-2007, 08:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eturnal:</font><hr> I purshased a "cue tip shaper" at a local sports store....any thoughts on them?

Do they give a good shape? <hr /></blockquote>

They grind the tip away a little at a time and whether they do a good job depends on what shape you want your tip.

A tip only infrequently needs shaping so don't go overboard or you'll find yourself with very little tip left and needing to have it replaced.

Have somebody show you how to use it. Maybe ask the best player you know.

Rich R.
02-14-2007, 08:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eturnal:</font><hr> I purshased a "cue tip shaper" at a local sports store....any thoughts on them?

Do they give a good shape? <hr /></blockquote>
A lot depends on which shaper you bought. There are many on the market. Some are good and some are not so good.
None should be over used.

BLACKHEART
02-15-2007, 07:34 AM
Do not buy any tip shaper that has a blade in it. They dull quickly &amp; then just shred the top of the tip...JER

Snapshot9
02-15-2007, 08:35 AM
To each his own, but the reason I do not like tip scuffers and shapers is because most have an 'arc' for a shape for the perimeter of the tip, and in case you noticed, all tips come rounded on top, mostly nickel shaped, with a 45 degree straight edge around the top perimeter.

I do not shape my tip very much at all. I do it once I get a new tip, and just use a tip pik on it without going overboard on it. If I have to, I use sandpaper to maintain the shape, including the straight 45 degree angle around the top perimeter.

If you have an 'arc' shape around the perimeter, then when that part of the tip makes contact with the cue ball, you have two opposing arcs making contact, and less surface of the tip on the cue ball. If the edges are straight, more tip contacts with the cue ball which means better control, and less miscues. This would be especially true for power draw shots.

mantis
02-15-2007, 10:05 PM
The ones at the local sports stores really do not work well. I had a "Mizerak" tip shaper from sports authority that was not worth the plastic it was made of. You need a good quality one like a "Wilard".

GKH
02-16-2007, 04:20 AM
I bought the "Ultimate Cue Tip Tool". recently. I love it! Easy to use, and quick! Under $20.00, too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich R.
02-16-2007, 06:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GKH:</font><hr> I bought the "Ultimate Cue Tip Tool". recently. I love it! Easy to use, and quick! Under $20.00, too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>Just don't use the Ultimate Tip Tool to trim the sides of your tip. I've seen a number of people twist their tip right off of their cue.

SPetty
02-16-2007, 06:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr>I do not like tip scuffers and shapers is because most have an 'arc' for a shape for the perimeter of the tip, and in case you noticed, all tips come rounded on top, mostly nickel shaped, with a 45 degree straight edge around the top perimeter.

If I have to, I use sandpaper to maintain the shape, including the straight 45 degree angle around the top perimeter.

If you have an 'arc' shape around the perimeter, then when that part of the tip makes contact with the cue ball, you have two opposing arcs making contact, and less surface of the tip on the cue ball. If the edges are straight, more tip contacts with the cue ball which means better control, and less miscues. <hr /></blockquote>Hi Snapshot9,

I don't think I quite get what you're saying here. I don't understand where the 45 degree angle is supposed to be. I do understand the idea of an arc across the top of the tip, and the sides straight down from the edge of the arc. I don't think I understand your description of an arc shape around the perimeter or the shaped 45 degree angle. Can you elaborate a little please?

SPetty
02-16-2007, 06:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote GKH:</font><hr> I bought the "Ultimate Cue Tip Tool". recently. I love it! Easy to use, and quick! Under $20.00, too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>Just don't use the Ultimate Tip Tool to trim the sides of your tip. I've seen a number of people twist their tip right off of their cue. <hr /></blockquote>If the Ultimate Cue Tip Tool is this:

http://www.billiard-zone.com/images/catalog2003/cueass/cuecare/UT.jpg

Then those people were likely attempting to burnish their tip rather than trimming the tip when twisting the tip right off the cue! The "trimmer" is a bit of abrasive that is on the outside of the leg of the tool.

Rich R.
02-16-2007, 07:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Then those people were likely attempting to burnish their tip rather than trimming the tip when twisting the tip right off the cue! The "trimmer" is a bit of abrasive that is on the outside of the leg of the tool. <hr /></blockquote>
I stand corrected. I have never used one of these tools. I just know they will twist the tip from the cue.
Cue repair guys love them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

GKH
02-18-2007, 03:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote GKH:</font><hr> I bought the "Ultimate Cue Tip Tool". recently. I love it! Easy to use, and quick! Under $20.00, too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>Just don't use the Ultimate Tip Tool to trim the sides of your tip. I've seen a number of people twist their tip right off of their cue. <hr /></blockquote>If the Ultimate Cue Tip Tool is this:

http://www.billiard-zone.com/images/catalog2003/cueass/cuecare/UT.jpg

Then those people were likely attempting to burnish their tip rather than trimming the tip when twisting the tip right off the cue! The "trimmer" is a bit of abrasive that is on the outside of the leg of the tool. <hr /></blockquote>

That's the one. I really like it. I just follow the instructions on burnishing. No troubles. I wet the sides of the tip, and straddle it with the tool, turning lightly. It works great. I can see that if you were to use much downwards force that it could break the tip loose, I guess. So far; I really like this tool.

TennesseeJoe
02-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Just another reason why people should take a lesson from a professional instructor. Not saying that this was a bad purchase but an instructor in 2 minutes could save you from making useless purchases and show you what is good and how to use it. This would be a good question to ask at your first lesson.

rackem
02-21-2007, 03:16 AM
You do need to be smarter than the tool /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif There are 2 possibilities if the tip came off. One it was loose to begin with and 2, they did not trim enough before burnishing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif