PDA

View Full Version : Death certificates on abortions proposed

S0Noma
02-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Wed Feb 14, 1:41 PM ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Legislation introduced in Tennessee would require death certificates for aborted fetuses, which likely would create public records identifying women who have abortions.

Rep. Stacey Campfield, a Republican, said his bill would provide a way to track how many abortions are performed. He predicted it would pass in the Republican-controlled Senate but would have a hard time making it through the Democratic House.

"All these people who say they are pro-life — at least we would see how many lives are being ended out there by abortions," said Campfield.

The number of abortions reported to the state Office of Vital Records is already publicly available. The office collects records — but not death certificates — on abortions and the deaths of fetuses after 22 weeks gestation or weighing about 1 pound.

The identities of the women who have abortions are not included in those records, but death certificates include identifying information such as
Social Security numbers.

Campfield's bill, introduced Monday, would give abortion providers 10 days following an "induced termination of a pregnancy" to file a death certificate.

House Judiciary Chairman Rob Briley, a Democrat, called Campfield's proposal "the most preposterous bill I've seen" in an eight-year legislative career.

"It is totally inconsistent with everything the law contemplates as it relates to anything close to that subject," he said.

The anti-abortion group Tennessee Right to Life has not yet taken a position on the death certificate bill, said spokeswoman Myra Simons. But she said the organization applauds the sponsors' efforts to "draw attention to the way abortion is handled in Tennessee."

Keri Adams, vice president of
Planned Parenthood in Tennessee, on Wednesday called the proposal an attempt to terrorize frightened and vulnerable women who are seeking abortion.

"We certainly hope the Tennessee Legislature doesn't invest too much energy in this bill," she said. "We think it's clearly a violation of privacy, and potentially illegal concerning HIPAA regulations."

___

On the Net:

General Assembly: http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/

web page (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070214/ap_on_re_us/abortion_death_certificates)

Deeman3
02-15-2007, 08:15 AM
This could seriouly threaten the abortionists numbers goals in the future as well. If they are identified as anything other than spare cells, abortion sales might plummet, stem cell prices rise and.....

Gayle in MD
02-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Thankfully, the Republicans are no longer in power to push through this new fanatical, unconstitutional, dictatorial, right wing tactic to destroy women's right of privacy, and continue to discriminate against, and demonize women. It's a full time job, trying to keep up with all the attacks by the religious right, and their Republican/neocon partners in crime, against our constitutional rights.

Gayle in Md.

eg8r
02-15-2007, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
right wing tactic to destroy women's right of privacy <hr /></blockquote> What liberal BS. Women don't have a right of privacy, especially when they are committing murder.

Why don't you care about the Consitutional right to life for the little baby? You hate drunk drivers who have children in the car because the children could be hurt, however you don't hate women who are freely killing babies. Where is your "line in the sand" for acceptable murder?

eg8r

Qtec
02-15-2007, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
State Rep. Stacey Campfield wants to join the Black Caucus.

The ultra rightwing Republican is white (very), and, as his behavior indicates, he seems to suffer from a brain deficit.

The East Tennessee Republican says that when he was told that he could not join the Black Caucus because he is white, he thought, “What? Whoa!”

It’s not clear what part of “Black” the lawmaker doesn’t understand.

Black Caucus Chairman, Rep. Johnny Shaw put it mildly when he said, “Stacey Campfield is a strange guy. That's the best I can say.” <font color="blue"> LMAO </font color>

It’s anybody’s guess what goes on in what passes for Campfield’s mind. Perhaps he will soon be asking to join the women’s caucus. <font color="blue"> LOL </font color>

Campfield implies in several media accounts that he might pursue the membership again in the future.

The Republican’s claim that he has actually had a thought in his lifetime is both amusing and debatable. <font color="blue"> LOL </font color> Stacey Campfield (R-Knoxville) is famous in some circles for his difficulties with the complexities of 3rd grade writing skills. When Campfield began blogging a few months back, conservative bloggers were so alarmed by his difficulties with the language that they assisted him in the fine art of spell checking.

Campfield is also famous for insulting his constituents <hr /></blockquote>

. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

web page (http://guerillawomentn.blogspot.com/2005/09/white-gop-lawmaker-wants-to-be-black.html)

wolfdancer
02-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Ed, I find abortion troubling, and think it should be limited to first trimester only....even at 3 months though, the fetus is a recognizable human being....
While my own sense or morality, and what's left of my Catholic faith, says it is wrong.....I respect the rights of women to decide for themselves on the issue.

Gayle in MD
02-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Unlike you, Ed, I not only don't hate people, drunk drivers, or any other people, but I also don't try ti dictate to other people how they can live their lives, and particularly when it comes to thier Constitutional rights.

Unlike you, and the rest of the ill religious right who are trying to turn this country into a Theocratic Fascist Dictatorship, I believe we have a right to Privacy, Freedom to worship, and not worship, and that not you, or any of your other so called religious right wing nuts, have the right to force your religious doctrines down the throats of the rest of us, nor to dictate what women may or may not do with their bodies, including bringing a fetus to term against their will.

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
02-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Gayle, I'm with you....I even disconnected my right turn signal from my car last nite!!!
"Fascist"?........maybe the ultra right is still a few steps away from that label...but with his world collapsing around him, Hitler seemed to become even more irrational near the end of his "term"
Are there any Bunkers below the WH?

georgiekuntz
02-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Everyone wants to control our lives

Gayle in MD
02-16-2007, 08:10 AM
LMAO, as usual, regardless of my so called pasionate opinions, you never fail to make me laugh! Thank you.
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>
Gayle, I'm with you....I even disconnected my right turn signal from my car last nite!!!

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>
maybe the ultra right is still a few steps away from that label.

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

I'm not so sure about that, friend. We now have a very dangerous of combination of Republicn Neocon politicians, Religious fanatics, and big business, each sect historicly hell bent on exploiting the common man, and removing his freedom, through deceit, and power mongering and fear mongering, in the interest of their own personal financial goals. the blending of their unamerican values, hidden behind their false proclaimations of Godly intentions, and the result thereof, have already shown us unprecedented division here in our country. We are being set against one another, as our youth are sacrificed, and for the benefit of of the lofty few will stand to gain the most from our division. IOW, our country, its traditional values of privacy, choice, freedom, and high intention, is being slowly dismantled, right before our eyes, and without the cleansing sunshine of a protective, free press, which they own. We are at great risk. As John Dean has warned us, a lifelong Republican, BTW, "When fascism comes, it comes with a smile on it's face."

It seems, the historical doctrine of communism, taking us from within, is now a reality being prosecuted by our fellow Americans, namely, Corporate Fascist Pigs, the Neocon Movement, and the radical religious right. The combined power of these three groups, is a deadly combination for Democracy.

Gayle in Md.

georgiekuntz
02-16-2007, 08:49 AM
But we have too many people now and keeping the population down is a good idea. Birth control or abortions are now a must thing.

Gayle in MD
02-16-2007, 10:18 AM
I agree with your view as regards our circumstances in the world. Overpopulation, which has always been encouraged by some religions, is not what we should be aiming towards, to say the least.

Also, this is certainly no time for political and religious leaders to be removing access to birth control information for our young people, and particularly in view of the onslaught of sexual stimulation they are exposed to in our society. When I read about Pharmacists refusing to fill prescriptions for birth control pills, and the oft repeated false information distributed by Bush's Health and Education appointees regarding the statistics of unplanned teen pregnancy results of abstinence programs vs sex education programs, abstinence producing more, not less teen pregnancy, and even the use of birth control among those teens who commit to abstinence, but fail to remain abstinent, and the resulting rise of STD's because of it, is extremely unfortunate for our youth, and for our society, and even the rest of the world.

As for abortion, I have always maintained that women have a right to control their own bodies, lives, decisions, and a right to privacy as regards their personal choices in life. I don't believe that anyone is for abortion, but, that it is, and should be legal, and available to women who do not wish to bring a fetus to term, but also should include strict time limitations, and that women should do everything in their power, including the use of birth control, to avoid ever finding themselves in a position which requires such a devastating decision to have to be considered in the first place. I am strongly for a woman's right to make that choice, without religious, or political interference. I view abortion as a private matter, and hope that women choose adoption instead, bringing their unwanted fetus to term, and adopting out the infant to a couple longing to be parents. At the same time, I realize that there are many cases in which circumstances, personal and private, make that route a devastating choice for some women, and that those women should have the right to follow their own path for their own survival, both physical and emotional.

No one else can possibly know, other than the woman involved, what is the best choice for her in the context of her life, and her unique circumstances. I don't believe that anyone has a right to dictate, take control over, or otherwise force their own personal value system into someone else's personal, private issues or actions in such a life changing matter as whether or not one wishes to bring a life into this world. I find myself regularly appalled by the lack of compassion for women who must consider such a decision, and the demonizing quality of their arguments, terms, and shallow, narrow views. The very idea that there exists support for a man's effort to use legislation as a means to expose women who have made that painful personal choice, to public scrutiny, purely for the purpose of demonizing them and removing their right to privacy, is reminicent of the Scarlet Letter tactics once used by despots from our past, and of men who have enforced clitoral amputation in other parts of the world, out of the same sick effort to sexually control women.

I find this report on this man, not only cruel, absurd, and outrageous, but also an undeniable symptom of misogeny, which seems far too often to be linked to historical religious doctrine. We are first and foremost, male or female, and in the case of gender specific physiologic phenomena, one gender cannot possibly know or understand fully the complete and unique experience of the other gender, and hence, IMO, has no right to intrude an opinion. When the first man brings a fetus to term, I may change my mind about that, however, until then, they have no business imposing their dictatorial opinions into the very body of any woman, and IMO, they have no right to any opinion at all, unless it is an opinion which is supportive of a woman's right to make that choice for herself, privately.

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
02-16-2007, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
State Rep. Stacey Campfield wants to join the Black Caucus.

The ultra rightwing Republican is white (very), and, as his behavior indicates, he seems to suffer from a brain deficit.

The East Tennessee Republican says that when he was told that he could not join the Black Caucus because he is white, he thought, “What? Whoa!”

It’s not clear what part of “Black” the lawmaker doesn’t understand.

Black Caucus Chairman, Rep. Johnny Shaw put it mildly when he said, “Stacey Campfield is a strange guy. That's the best I can say.” <font color="blue"> LMAO </font color>

It’s anybody’s guess what goes on in what passes for Campfield’s mind. Perhaps he will soon be asking to join the women’s caucus. <font color="blue"> LOL </font color>

Campfield implies in several media accounts that he might pursue the membership again in the future.

The Republican’s claim that he has actually had a thought in his lifetime is both amusing and debatable. <font color="blue"> LOL </font color> Stacey Campfield (R-Knoxville) is famous in some circles for his difficulties with the complexities of 3rd grade writing skills. When Campfield began blogging a few months back, conservative bloggers were so alarmed by his difficulties with the language that they assisted him in the fine art of spell checking.

Campfield is also famous for insulting his constituents <hr /></blockquote>

. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

web page (http://guerillawomentn.blogspot.com/2005/09/white-gop-lawmaker-wants-to-be-black.html) <hr /></blockquote>

Q...very interesting post. I find it quite odd that it's ok to have a black caucus which does not allow white members, or a women's caucus which doesn't allow male members...but both those groups would be screaming discrimination if someone tried to establish a white caucus or a male caucus. Yeah, maybe this guy is a little over the top....and maybe he is just making a point!
Steve

eg8r
02-16-2007, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unlike you, Ed, I not only don't hate people, drunk drivers, or any other people, but I also don't try ti dictate to other people how they can live their lives, and particularly when it comes to thier Constitutional rights. <hr /></blockquote> Well, your memory must be failing you in reference to your own shortcomings (Lord knows you have no problem pointing out the faults of others), but on a minor scale you try and dictate freedom of speech on this board regularly.

[ QUOTE ]
Unlike you, and the rest of the ill religious right <hr /></blockquote> I just cannot kick this cold.

[ QUOTE ]
and not worship, and that not you, or any of your other so called religious right wing nuts, have the right to force your religious doctrines down the throats of the rest of us, <hr /></blockquote> Who is forcing anything down your throats. You want to be a murderer be a murderer. It is just your own sick and twisted mind that says it is OK to murder an innocent baby but wrong to murder an "innocent" terrorist. This is not religion at all, it is your demented head that makes these exceptions.

eg8r

eg8r
02-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Like yourself, I also think it is wrong. Where we differ is that I respect the rights of the baby first.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
02-16-2007, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>
(Lord knows you have no problem pointing out the faults of others)
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>
It is just your own sick and twisted mind that says it is OK to murder an innocent baby but wrong to murder an "innocent" terrorist.

[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

Your hypocracy knows no bounds. I have never said that terrorists should not be murdered. You are very good with the Republican tactics, say it, and that makes it true. Please tell us the definition of a fetus, another REbonics term?

GFYSAH

eg8r
02-16-2007, 08:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle quoting eg8r:</font><hr> (Lord knows you have no problem pointing out the faults of others)
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle responding to quote above:</font><hr> Your hypocracy knows no bounds. <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote> It is only hypocritical if I had said that I do not point out the faults of others. <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle asking a question out of the clear blue:</font><hr> Please tell us the definition of a fetus, another REbonics term? <hr /></blockquote> I don't care about a definition of fetus, I have not used the word, you have.

eg8r &lt;~~~sad that Gayle supports the murder of indefensible babies

Gayle in MD
02-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Really, lets use your own demented logic for a moment. You are calling a fetus, a baby, calling abortion, murder, and yet you give us no explanation why no one is being arrested and charged with murder for having an abortion, in this country.

Abortion in this country is legal. A fetus is not a baby, and yet you continue to lie about this over and over. No wonder you are Republican. Lies are their hallmark.

Abortion is legal, Ed, get over it. It is not murder, and it is not a baby. Using distortions, which cloud reality, to TRY to make your point, is considered to be the method of the devil. Maybe you should consider an exorcism.

Gayle in Md.

eg8r
02-16-2007, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Really, lets use your own demented logic for a moment. You are calling a fetus, a baby, calling abortion, murder, and yet you give us no explanation why no one is being arrested and charged with murder for having an abortion, in this country.
<hr /></blockquote> Well, there are sickos out there that have conned the Government into believing this is actually a choice and the fetus is not a baby. Those with their head on straight understand it is murder and while it is your choice now, hopefully one day sensibility will be restored and your "choice" to murder will be removed again.

eg8r