PDA

View Full Version : Was this legal?

Ratman138
02-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Hello all,
First time poster and I have a question hopefully some can shed some light on.

Playing 9 ball- the 9 is hanging in the corner pocket. The 3 ball (target ball) is tucked at the other end with little chance of being kicked at. Instead of facing a sure lose, Player A intentioinally pockets the 9. Is the correct ruling now that the 9 is spotted and Player B has ball-in-hand on the 3?

thanks

TennesseeJoe
02-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Yes.

walt8880
02-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Correct. I have been known tho resort to this tactic myself in the past.

Rich R.
02-16-2007, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ratman138:</font><hr> Hello all,
First time poster and I have a question hopefully some can shed some light on.

Playing 9 ball- the 9 is hanging in the corner pocket. The 3 ball (target ball) is tucked at the other end with little chance of being kicked at. Instead of facing a sure lose, Player A intentioinally pockets the 9. Is the correct ruling now that the 9 is spotted and Player B has ball-in-hand on the 3? <hr /></blockquote>
It is definitely legal and, in the situation you describe, depending on the other balls on the table, it could be a very good stategy move.

ceebee
02-16-2007, 08:08 AM
Yep, sure is. The first time a player sees that strategy move..., their eyes bug out &amp; they call the law.

BLACKHEART
02-16-2007, 09:56 AM
It's not only legal, but the smart thing to do...JER

ceebee
02-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Another stategy with a Push-Out is this.

Player A breaks up the rack &amp; no balls are pocketed.

Player B comes to the table &amp; can make the 1 ball. Player B calls a Push-Out, makes the 1 ball &amp; leaves Player A with a full table shot at the 2 Ball, on the other end rail.

A Push-Out is defined as any legal shot &amp; which is then passed to your opponent for acceptance or denial.

The Push-Out shot is an advantage for the better player, but the shot can be executed well by anyone, with a little thought. There are several scenarios.

SPetty
02-16-2007, 07:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr>A Push-Out is defined as any legal shot &amp; which is then passed to your opponent for acceptance or denial.<hr /></blockquote>That definition may cause some confusion. The pushout doesn't have to be a legal shot the way a legal shot is defined. There are no requirements for a pushout other than the cue tip must contact the cue ball. There are no requirements that a ball be hit or pocketed or a rail hit, which are definitions included with the definition of a legal shot.

BigRigTom
02-17-2007, 12:41 PM
I believe you must declare before the shot that you are playing a "push out". Isn't that correct?

Sid_Vicious
02-17-2007, 01:27 PM
You better!, unless you are in a really friendly atmosphere...respect between players many times allows for a silent push shot when it is obvious. I never push without calling it, but I allow it with certain players when they do...sid

c.holtz009
02-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Perfectly legal as stated above. I have done that before, and my opponent said you can't do that!! I said too late. It's done. There was a big ordeal after that, and it ended up that the guy walked out.
Knowing the rules is just as important as knowing how to shoot.

TennesseeJoe
02-17-2007, 05:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr>A Push-Out is defined as any legal shot &amp; which is then passed to your opponent for acceptance or denial.<hr /></blockquote>That definition may cause some confusion. The pushout doesn't have to be a legal shot the way a legal shot is defined. There are no requirements for a pushout other than the cue tip must contact the cue ball. There are no requirements that a ball be hit or pocketed or a rail hit, which are definitions included with the definition of a legal shot. <hr /></blockquote>

A legal shot and a good hit and an illegal shot foul are three different items. In my understanding, a "push out" has to be a legal shot(cue tip hitting the cue ball), does not have to be a good hit although it may be, and cannot be an illegal shot such as an illegally jumped ball. An illegal push out is penalized according to the type of foul committed. It could be ball in hand or loss of game.