PDA

View Full Version : can anyone relate to this?

whipy
02-16-2007, 02:48 AM
Last night i was playing 14.1 and i was really flying. i had good runs and was fluent amongst the balls. then after half an hour or so, for no reason at all, my game just broke down and i couldn't make 3 balls in a row.

i've had this with 8-ball and 9-ball aswell on other nights. in a race to 8 i would go 5-0 up in like 20 minutes and then just start to miss real easy balls all of a sudden. it was like you start thinking 'hmm i don't fancy this shot' and then you miss. i've won a lot of matches like this 8-7 or 8-6 just barely scraping it, and although i won, i leave the match with a bad feeling.

is it because i can't keep up my focus and/or concentration long enough or something? this is really driving me up the wall. can anyone relate?

killerstroke
02-16-2007, 06:48 AM
Lack of concentration and focus is most likely the main reason. Since you were playing so well, this causes you to be over confident and your play may be getting quicker. That leads to not going through your pre shot routine, lining up the shot properly etc. They are all connected.

Cydpkt
02-16-2007, 08:27 AM
When you get that far ahead it is easy to try for those flasher shots instead of playing safe. I see that in my league play. I get ahead then try something that I wouldn't if it were close. Not only does that allow your opponent back to the table but can allow them to get in stroke. Then they play tough and your next couple of shots will be kicks. I always have to have the mind set of destroying my opponent. It is really easy to get over confident and some players when given a chance will rise to the occasion. They can't hurt you if their sitting down!

bsmutz
02-16-2007, 09:14 AM
I find the opposite to be true for me. I'll start off kind of flighty at times, then settle in and start playing like I should. It does sound like you may just be slipping into a self induced coma. Perhaps you play better when you are nervous/on edge and settling into the game makes you lose that focus and intensity you started with. Try to assess your mental state when you start missing to what you had going in.

whipy
02-16-2007, 09:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr>Perhaps you play better when you are nervous/on edge and settling into the game makes you lose that focus and intensity you started with.<hr /></blockquote>

You know, that could be it. although i'm very shaky when i get nervous... oh man those last 5 balls in straight pool! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr>
Try to assess your mental state when you start missing to what you had going in. <hr /></blockquote>

yeah i'll give that a try.

thanks everyone.

Duckie
02-16-2007, 09:27 AM
I have the same problem. I'm trying too figure out if this happen cause I'm thinking to much about the shot and the score instead of just seeing the shot in front of me that I need to make.

When I visualize more about the shot (shot to me means making the ball and getting shape)I need to make, the more I make. The less I think, meaning using pictures/visual imgineary instead of words the better I do and the better I feel.

BRussell
02-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Let me suggest another possibility: It's not about you or your performance or mental state at all, it's just the rolls. We encounter positions that are easier to get through and positions that are harder, through no fault of our own. We then have a tendency to read too much into it, to believe there must be some explanation other than dumb luck, when sometimes luck is the best explanation.

I'm not saying that it definitely doesn't have anything to do with concentration or whatever, just that it might not.

wolfdancer
02-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Try to assess your mental state when you start missing to what you had going in.
Hey, that worked for me....I go over to your place in a good mood, then go comatose as you run ball after ball in on that tricked up snooker table of yours.

bsmutz
02-16-2007, 03:35 PM
I never intimated that playing me was going to make you happy...

Fran Crimi
02-17-2007, 07:25 PM
First of all, I think it's great that you were able to recognize a pattern in your play. That's half the battle. I have another suggestion with regard to what may be happening to you in addition to the others.

Remember these words: What goes up must come down. If you are spiking adrenaline when you enter your match, due to either excitement about playing, or determination, at some point, your adrenaline spike will start to come down and the chemicals in your brain are affected and you can feel foggy. It's happened to me plenty of times. I enter into the match working too hard and spiking all kinds of adrenaline, and 20 or 30 minutes later, I crash.

The key is to pace yourself. Make sure you go into your matches as calm and even keeled as possible. When I feel myself starting to crash, I suck on a piece of hard candy for a bit of sugar to even things out. Not a lot, just a small piece. I was told that by a nutritionist but that may not be the solution for everybody. You have to see for yourself what works.

The other possibility is your blood sugar level. How long before your match did you eat? If your blood sugar level drops it also affects your brain and you can become foggy. Take note of your eating habits before you play and see if you can find a correlation.

Fran

whipy
02-18-2007, 05:30 AM
it's probably a combination of all of the above... i will have to exercise to get my level of concentration up for a longer period of time, but i will also have to work on confidence in general, and taking the time to think about my shots. i still think the biggest danger is settling in to a match, even if you're 5-0 up. mostly i'm all fired up and ready to go at the beginning of a match, so it's possibly an adrenaline thing for the most part.