PDA

View Full Version : A friend comes over. He likes jumping the cue....

GKH
02-16-2007, 01:06 PM
...ball when he cannot make a shot another way. This guy is kind of a showman. Is this a legal shot? I know for a fact, he dinged the cloth on my table which doesn't make me real happy.

Any thoughts on this would be great.

Cydpkt
02-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Hey its your table. Jump shots are legal as long as the person is not scooping under the ball with the cue. But again it is your table and you have to deal with what ever damage is done. I guess thats why they always say to practice jump shots at someone elses place. You can protect the cloth by placing a small scrap of cloth under the cue ball. This makes the jump shots easier to execute and gives you practice on a shot that can get you out of a tough jam.

GKH
02-16-2007, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cydpkt:</font><hr> Hey its your table. Jump shots are legal as long as the person is not scooping under the ball with the cue. But again it is your table and you have to deal with what ever damage is done. I guess thats why they always say to practice jump shots at someone elses place. You can protect the cloth by placing a small scrap of cloth under the cue ball. This makes the jump shots easier to execute and gives you practice on a shot that can get you out of a tough jam. <hr /></blockquote>

Interesting.... So; just how can the cue ball jump without getting under it? I need to read up on that. Thanks for the info.

Bob_Jewett
02-16-2007, 01:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GKH:</font><hr> ...ball when he cannot make a shot another way. This guy is kind of a showman. Is this a legal shot? ... <hr /></blockquote>
You don't state which technique he uses. Scooping under the ball and/or miscuing is not a legal technique. Smashing the cue ball down into the bed of the table so that it bounces up off the bed is legal.

Maybe you need to have a list of house rules.

GKH
02-16-2007, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote GKH:</font><hr> ...ball when he cannot make a shot another way. This guy is kind of a showman. Is this a legal shot? ... <hr /></blockquote>
You don't state which technique he uses. Scooping under the ball and/or miscuing is not a legal technique. Smashing the cue ball down into the bed of the table so that it bounces up off the bed is legal.

Maybe you need to have a list of house rules. <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, Bob; I have no idea what technique he used. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif It all happened pretty fast. But; I'll tell you this; as far as I am concerned, any shot that can harm the table ain't cool. Especially, where it concerns my table.

This guy is used to bar pool, where apparently, just about anything goes. From sitting up on the edge of the table to make a shot (what bridge?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif), to outright showmanship.

Yeah...on my table, jumping is no longer cool.

Now; with that said, I guess, this is where a 'jump / break' cue comes into play? Obviously; this jump business is no place for a nice cue. And; we always use a regular (house) cue for breaking.

pooltchr
02-16-2007, 02:37 PM
If your friend was in his normal shooting stance when he jumped the ball, it was very likely it was an illegal scoop shot. A legal jump shot requires the shooter to elevate the butt of the cue, and shoot down on the ball. While this may leave a small mark on the cloth, it rarely does any serious damage. Scoop shots are a whole different story.
You expressed surprise when someone told you about shooting down on the ball, which suggests you aren't too familiar with jump shots. Until you understand yourself about legal jump shots, I think your room would be a prime candidate for a "no jumping" rule.
Steve

GKH
02-16-2007, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> If your friend was in his normal shooting stance when he jumped the ball, it was very likely it was an illegal scoop shot. A legal jump shot requires the shooter to elevate the butt of the cue, and shoot down on the ball. While this may leave a small mark on the cloth, it rarely does any serious damage. Scoop shots are a whole different story.
You expressed surprise when someone told you about shooting down on the ball, which suggests you aren't too familiar with jump shots. Until you understand yourself about legal jump shots, I think your room would be a prime candidate for a "no jumping" rule.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Indeed, Steve! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have never attempted a jump; that's for sure. But; I am willing to learn the greater nuances of the game. My wife and I are making billiards a Friday night ritual since getting our table just over 6 weeks ago. We are loving it!

So; I must agree. The jumping business needs to stop; at least until an understanding is reached.

Thanks for everyone's input.

TennesseeJoe
02-16-2007, 07:41 PM
You may want to include in the rules "No Masse Shots"

Snapshot9
02-17-2007, 06:19 AM
Greg ... Your house, your table, your rules ... If that friend can not abide by them, or conduct himself in a respectable manner and respecting your property, I would simply not invite him back. People that have to 'show-boat' all the time usually do not have good manners to begin with.

Tony_in_MD
02-18-2007, 05:48 AM
Here is short video showing the correct way to jump a ball.

As some have said, your table your rules. If you don't want people jumping balls on your table let them know.

Ralf S. Jump Instruction (http://xtremebilliard.com/Ralf/albums/ralf/Ralf_Jump_Instruction.mpg)