PDA

View Full Version : Practice routine?

jwilkinson
02-18-2007, 06:36 PM
First I'd like to introduce myself. My name is James, and I've been playing pool off and on for a number of years. I openly admit that I'm not good, but I recently purchased my own table and intend on getting better. (Practice, practice, practice..)
My question is in regards to practicing. Being the beginner I am with limited knowledge of concepts, what should my practice "routine" be? Currently I play a few games of nine ball by myself or with my kids. Sometimes if I am playing and I come across a shot that I know I can make and I miss, I'll then place the balls back where they were and try again until I get it.
I've been reading a lot of Dr_Dave's website and watching the videos, as well as many other resources on the net.
What SHOULD I be practicing?
What routine will develop my skills evenly and quickly with repetition?

Thanks again, and I'm glad to now be a part of this forum!

james.

Morris183
02-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Wow! Can I relate to this subject. I too have recently started playing again. First my routine is, like golf to practice every night or day if I get a chance with no excuse for not practicing. I'll play myself in 8 ball, 9 ball and straight pool. I also will play a shot over if I feel I dont understand the shot. Since my table is an antique I believe the pocket size is smaller and harder then at the pool rooms, so my weekly visit is a relief making more shots then at home. In addition I've set the dvr to finding all billiard shows, old or recent and Ill carefully watch each show, replaying a shot if I feel it will help. Lastly, this forum is the best and Im able to go to the different links, Dr Dave is awesome, but so are most that post here. Moe

dr_dave
02-18-2007, 09:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jwilkinson:</font><hr> First I'd like to introduce myself. My name is James, and I've been playing pool off and on for a number of years. I openly admit that I'm not good, but I recently purchased my own table and intend on getting better. (Practice, practice, practice..)
My question is in regards to practicing. Being the beginner I am with limited knowledge of concepts, what should my practice "routine" be? Currently I play a few games of nine ball by myself or with my kids. Sometimes if I am playing and I come across a shot that I know I can make and I miss, I'll then place the balls back where they were and try again until I get it.
I've been reading a lot of Dr_Dave's website and watching the videos, as well as many other resources on the net.
What SHOULD I be practicing?
What routine will develop my skills evenly and quickly with repetition?

Thanks again, and I'm glad to now be a part of this forum!<hr /></blockquote>James,

Welcome to the forum!

FYI, you can find some good "advice" and "drills" in the thread summary section of my website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/threads.html).

Good luck with your game,
Dave

randyg
02-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Where to start: First if possible, get an evaluation of yourself from a BCA Instructor. That video alone will get you some ideas in what to Train or Practice.

What city do you live in???

Good luck...SPF=randyg

Billy_Bob
02-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Practice what you are not good at. The shots you hate or find difficult.

With pool, there are shots which frequently come up. Then there are shots which seldom come up.

With the frequent shots, you will get good at these just by playing a lot.

With the shots which seldom come up, you really need to take time out and practice just that shot - get time under your belt for that shot.

For example using the mechanical bridge (rake, crutch). These shots rarely come up. So learn how to use it properly. Shoot in a rack using the mechanical bridge for every shot. Do this once a day for a month. I guarantee after the month is over, you will be able to shoot a shot with the mechanical bridge and make it.

Same thing with other shots you seldom shoot.

BRussell
02-19-2007, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jwilkinson:</font><hr>I openly admit that I'm not good, but I recently purchased my own table and intend on getting better. <hr /></blockquote> I'm in the same position - I bought my table about 4 years ago. I'll let the better players suggest practice routines, but in my experience with a table at home, I absolutely love it, but there's really no substitute for playing competitively outside of your basement. Play in league play and as many tournaments as you can. That's how you'll really improve. I don't think most people have the mental discipline to be able to recreate the pressure on each shot at home that you feel in a competitive situation.

bsmutz
02-19-2007, 11:57 AM
I agree, get some professional instruction to help you get your fundamentals straight. There are a ton of drills to be had for free on the internet. Just search for them. Be sure to check out Bob Jewett's information at the San Francisco Billiard Academy site. He shows you how to turn any kind of shot into a drill.

dr_dave
02-19-2007, 01:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> I agree, get some professional instruction to help you get your fundamentals straight. There are a ton of drills to be had for free on the internet. Just search for them. Be sure to check out Bob Jewett's information at the San Francisco Billiard Academy site. He shows you how to turn any kind of shot into a drill. <hr /></blockquote>FYI, links to drills from Bob and others can be found here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/resources/index.html).

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave
02-19-2007, 01:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> I agree, get some professional instruction to help you get your fundamentals straight. There are a ton of drills to be had for free on the internet. Just search for them. Be sure to check out Bob Jewett's information at the San Francisco Billiard Academy site. He shows you how to turn any kind of shot into a drill. <hr /></blockquote>FYI, links to drills from Bob and others can be found here (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/resources/index.html).

Regards,
Dave <hr /></blockquote>If anybody knows about good sources for additional drills, please let us know.

Regards,
Dave

SPetty
02-19-2007, 01:11 PM
If you'd like a book of drills to take to the table with you (in case your computer isn't right next to your table like some here...), you might want to check out Black Belt Billiards (http://members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards). I think he's recently upped his price a little, but he hasn't yet changed his "Buy It Now" PayPal link to match the price rise. So if you buy it now, you can save a buck! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GKH
02-19-2007, 03:44 PM
I bought, Robert Byrne's 'Complete Book of Pool Shots' to start with.

...more to follow! I think the DVD sets are highly recommended, as well.

ChadCash
02-20-2007, 02:18 AM
Iagree with setting up repeat shots.I specifically make a note of shots and situations that i miss in match play,and repeat them.You may not think it is fun but I suggest really ensuring that your basic fundamentals are strong before bad habits emerge. Such as cueing ,stroke and follow through. start with center ball hits , alot of players believe they are hitting center but aren't . observe others you'll see. but striking the cue ball in the spot you want to hit will benefit. Ilike practicing rotation with ball in hand after break.This game helps with patterns ,breaking up balls ,hitting the correct side of clusters,all types of caroms and combos including creative run saving opportunities.and also maintaing focus with 15 balls.it reminds me to slow down to when I get to plyaing too fast and cocky. the run out is the goal. good luck