PDA

View Full Version : southwest q question

ChadCash
02-19-2007, 01:20 AM
Will recieve my southwest anytime now, Afew people have told me that I have to "learn " how to play with it due to its construction and taper and such.Are these people right or misinformed. Can anyone give me a tip as to what to expect in a southwest cue

jjinfla
02-19-2007, 05:30 AM
It is like dring Scotch. Your body tells you it is terrible but you paid so much for it that you put up with it and convince yourself that it is good.

I suppose you can say the same thing about a house cue.

Pizza Bob
02-19-2007, 07:00 AM
It's not so much that it's a Southwest, it's just that it will be different than what you are playing with now. There is always an adjustment period with any new cue. The degree of deflection will alter the way you aim and your stroke. You will just have to make small compensating alterations to your game. Usually the way things go is that you will play extremely well with your new cue, the first time out. That is because you are highly conscious of it being new and you concentrate rather than play on autopilot. After while, you'll revert to old habits and muscle-memory and your game will decline, until you make the correct compensations. No big deal, just a learning curve. Congrats on a great cue.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Chopstick
02-19-2007, 07:41 AM
Some folks don't like em cause they say they hit too hard. It depends on what kind of wood they are made of. Mine hits just fine. I have seen some with ebony forearms that did hit pretty hard.

The taper in the shafts is the best I have ever seen. You will definitely be spoiled. You may not notice it at first. After you play with it for a while and go back to another cue with the normal standard shaft taper ( whatever that is ) it will feel like crap. They have a parabolic taper meaning that it is a curve rather than stepped angles. When you hold it up and catch the light reflection down the length of the shaft it will be one continuous line. When you do that with another shaft you will see the spots where the angles change.

Southwest is considered by many to have set the standards for quality and playability that all others are measured by. I agree with this opinion. It may not be the perfect que for you but you have definitely aquired something to be proud of.