PDA

View Full Version : DUFFERIN's & POOL CLOTH???

BritzSticks
02-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Hi Guys..Long time No See..:)..I have a comment and a question. First off, I bought a Group of Four Pool Cues about a week ago. One of the lower value ones, is a Dufferin with the little clear covered window with the Maple Leaf shown underneath..you know the type. For SOME Reason, I'd NEVER Run across a Dufferin Before and I'm TOTALY AMAZED by the QUALITY of This CUE! I've HEARD of Dufferin's for YEARS..Is this Why?? This Baby Hits as good as any of my "Name" cues (ie Schon, Meucci, Joss, Huebler etc??) What is this All About?? If Nothing ELSE, although I know ZERO About Making Cues, I would THINK that a Dufferin would make a GREAT "Blank" if making your own Cue..do people use them for that?? Or is that a Ridiculous Idea? Anyways..I'm just completely "Wowed"...Used it in a Match the other day and noticed NO Difference between it and my other cues..and If I went to sell it on Ebay..I'd get MAYBE $20 for it, although it's in GREAT Shape and PERFECTLY Straight. ALSO..I'm Thinking of Recovering My 9' Gold Crown in the near future. I've been out of the loop for awhile and was wondering if anyone makes Cloth that is comparable to Simonis, that costs less?? What's the General Opinion of Cloth These Days?? I Like a FAST Cloth..Hope you're all doing Great...take care, Nick..:)

killerstroke
02-19-2007, 03:56 PM
In answer to your Dufferin questions. Yes they play good, I like them myself. I believe they have a following of snooker players. Yes, I have heard of people using them to make sneaky pete q's.
As far as a cheaper fast cloth compared to simonis. Try Mercury Ultra, it is a no nap cloth that if stretch properly during installation it is almost as fast as simonis. It may loose some of it's speed over time compared to simonis, but keep it well maintained and it has good durability.

Cydpkt
02-19-2007, 04:02 PM
My first cue was a dufferin and I still have it (1st anniversary present from my wife) (we were really poor back then and still now). We got that cue from WalMart for $25. Won my first tournament with it. For the price I don't think you will find anything that hits the same. Its a good cheap cue that you can take out and not feel too bad if it walks away. The only thing I don't like about it now is the taper on the shaft. But hey it more than paid for itself and I will never get rid of it. Enjoy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

wolfdancer
02-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Just about the first cue everybody tries to make is a sneaky Pete from a Dufferin one piece.
We had Dufferins only at the pool room....and compared to the stuff other rooms had...they played like a Joss.
I've got Granito cloth on my table....still looks and plays good after 3 years. Gorino's been making cloth since 1835, must be doing something right... Might be a little cheaper?
The good cloth will get you way more wear/playing time then the cheap stuff...worth the extra $$

Brad
02-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Dufferin was sold to Cue & Case about 2 or three years ago. C&C moved production from Canada to China. Go figure. They claim the maple is still coming from Canada. That might have been for the first year. After that, no way.

But they were a good stick back in the day. I cut one in half and made a hustler cue with a McDermott shaft. I like the stick. It's a little butt heavy though.

For cloth, I like Championship Tour Edition. Plays great.