PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Dave Appreciation Day

TennesseeJoe
02-20-2007, 10:12 AM
I would like to set aside March 31 as Dr. Dave Appreciation Day. He has brought a wealth of knowledge and applied it to our pool world in a way that is refreshing. While his theories are enlightening and applicable to the real pool world, the actual detail is too complex for some, myself included . I confess, I accept some of his calculations based on his reputation. Only time will give us the truth. This reminds me of another story of scientific enlightenment concerning weighted spheres. Galileo, the 17th century scientist was excomunicated and nearly executed by the Catholic Church for proving 2 spheres of different weights would fall at the same speed. Then as today heretics abound.

If you appreciate Dr. Dave's contributions please respond to this thread. If you disagree, we will set the day following "Dr. Dave Day" for all of you.

bradb
02-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Certainly. Dave deserves his day.

At that time he can also be honered with the official Old Timers Club "Rhino Hide award." He's earned it at a relatively young age.

-Brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stretch
02-20-2007, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Certainly. Dave deserves his day.

At that time he can also be honered with the official Old Timers Club "Rhino Hide award." He's earned it at a relatively young age.

-Brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

God, that was mild! lol Listen i been shat on and called everything but white for years. I never had a "lets all luv Stretch day" *pouts. St. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BRussell
02-20-2007, 10:55 AM
I don't know, but this thread seems kind of passive aggressive to me.

bradb
02-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Sorry bout that Stretch... you could be a Newfie! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bradb
02-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Stretch, I may have to pull the Rhino Hide award... things are getting dicey over on another thread. -Brad /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Stretch
02-20-2007, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Sorry bout that Stretch... you could be a Newfie! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Lord Tunderin Jeeze boy, We'll Have to "Screech him in" then me son. lol For you Land lubbers that's when you down a shot of Newfie Screech ( Jamaican Rum of dubious origins ) Recite a solemn passage in the Newfaneez dialect, Then kiss a Cod fish. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.

wolfdancer
02-20-2007, 11:34 AM
I like the idea...Dr. D. takes his share of abuse around here...for just posting pool info, and handles it with aplomb, admirable restraint (obviously he's not Irish)
i'm not sure if folks are trying to "bait" him...or, since he didn't learn the game "in the trenches"...never walked into a pool establishment and bet the mortgage $$..maybe there's some resentment? Even Hal took a lot of heat over offerring to give away his ideas.....
I think you're a bit wrong though about Galilei, (Gal, as we called him)...he just thought the little sphere revolved around the big sphere, and not the other way around ( I think he was a democrat)

wolfdancer
02-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Hey, we still luv you Canadians...you'll buy us some time to prepare when the Russkies come calling....but now I gots to have a passport to visit....and another to get back home? (I may soon be moving to 20 min from Tijuana North)
geez, all I want is a couple of Canadian beers (they outbrew the Germans in Canada)

dr_dave
02-20-2007, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BRussell:</font><hr> I don't know, but this thread seems kind of passive aggressive to me.<hr /></blockquote>
NO IT ISN'T ... and I'm not being defensive. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think this thread is wonderful! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif (just kidding)

In all seriousness, I really appreciate all of the people who take up for me on this forum. I have taken more than my fair share of abuse from a few posters; but overall, the experience has been wonderful. I've learned a lot, and I like to think that some people have actually learned some good stuff from me about pool. And maybe I've even taught a few people about manners, restraint, decency, and respect. (Maybe my last sentence could be construed as being passive aggressive by some, but I still think it is appropriate)

Thanks again,
Dave (here to stay)

bradb
02-20-2007, 12:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Sorry bout that Stretch... you could be a Newfie! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Lord Tunderin Jeeze boy, We'll Have to "Screech him in" then me son. lol For you Land lubbers that's when you down a shot of Newfie Screech ( Jamaican Rum of dubious origins ) Recite a solemn passage in the Newfaneez dialect, Then kiss a Cod fish. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St. <hr /></blockquote>

Been up that way... downed a little screech... still trying to recover, got me sea legs tho. Now I know how those Newfies got their tough hide. A little bit a "Screechin" will do these lubbers some good sure nuff! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fran Crimi
02-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Baiting?

The only one doing any baiting around here is you.

No Jack, this is not about resentment. You're way off base. You either get it or you don't. That's all there is to it. It's crystal clear.

Fran

colincolenso
02-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Kudos to Dave!

The work on his website, the videos, the recording of past useful threads etc is one heck of a contribution to the pool world.

Dave's done more than that, but that work alone is more than enough to earn some hardy appreciation.

Colin

cushioncrawler
02-20-2007, 03:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TennesseeJoe:</font><hr> I would like to set aside March 31 as Dr. Dave Appreciation Day. He has brought a wealth of knowledge and applied it to our pool world in a way that is refreshing. While his theories are enlightening and applicable to the real pool world, the actual detail is too complex for some, myself included . I confess, I accept some of his calculations based on his reputation. Only time will give us the truth. This reminds me of another story of scientific enlightenment concerning weighted spheres. Galileo, the 17th century scientist was excomunicated and nearly executed by the Catholic Church for proving 2 spheres of different weights would fall at the same speed. Then as today heretics abound.

If you appreciate Dr. Dave's contributions please respond to this thread. If you disagree, we will set the day following "Dr. Dave Day" for all of you. <hr /></blockquote>Joe -- 2 objects with different masses will fall at (nearnuff) the same speed when dropped together (ie at the same time, ie next to each other), but they drop at different speeds (different to each other) when dropped singly (in a vacuum etc). Koz, u havta factor-in that the earth falls towards the objects allso. Didnt the church reinstate GG a few years back??

I go along with the Dr Dave Day on march31 -- just havta think of what to do (or what to get)...
...... Wearing an "8ball" on your noze??
...... Perhaps a "rhino-badge"??
...... A "30dg cap", with 2 fingers stuck on top??.

Hmmmmmm, bit of a problem, it will be the 1st april down under. madMac.

bradb
02-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Maybe we can get Deeman to draw us up a Rhino Hide badge for Dave! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cushioncrawler
02-20-2007, 07:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bradb:</font><hr> Maybe we can get Deeman to draw us up a Rhino Hide badge for Dave! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote> Hmmmmm -- Dunno, still thinking -- With the 30dg cap, that would be illegal to wear during play, and it might be hard to extract if u won against a sore-loozer -- Rhinos hide iz hard to get, and it would be illegal allso, and probably softer than the real thing (Dave's hide) anyhow -- Still thinking. madMac.

bradb
02-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Well Stretch offered up some screech, but we'd never get that stuff through the border... might think its some sort a chemical terrorist weapon or something.

I'll bet Tennessee Joe has some right strong backwoods potions down there. I heard that stuff will take the chrome off the bumper of a 57 Buick. Should toughen up a few hides.

SPetty
02-20-2007, 08:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> I go along with the Dr Dave Day on march31 -- just have to think of what to do (or what to get)...
...... Wearing an "8ball" on your nose??<hr /></blockquote>I swear, I HAVE one of those!!! My sister got it for me for Christmas a few months ago. It's like a clown nose, only it's an 8 ball!!! hahahaha

Thanks for everything, Dave...

TimFXF
02-20-2007, 11:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote colincolenso:</font><hr> Kudos to Dave!

The work on his website, the videos, the recording of past useful threads etc is one heck of a contribution to the pool world.

Dave's done more than that, but that work alone is more than enough to earn some hardy appreciation.

Colin <hr /></blockquote>

I stand with Colin. Dave's book and online videos got me going in the right direction. Thanks Dave.

Tim

Billy_Bob
02-21-2007, 07:01 AM
I read "Dr. Dave stuff" here for quite awhile. I thought the high speed videos were cool, and even tried the 30/90 degree shots. I did not understand the 30/90 degree shots, but figured they must be important for something. I kept trying to shoot them, but did not understand the value of these shots.

Actually I was not shooting a stun shot properly, so could not see the 90 degree results. Thus I didn't "get it".

One day I broke down and ordered Dr. Dave's DVD. Then I watched it and something clicked in my brain. I suddenly realized I could easily tell ahead of time where the cue ball would go after a shot AND I could change the direction the cue ball went by choosing to shoot with follow or stun (30 degrees or 90 degrees).

I suddenly realized I could avoid scratching! Hey this is great stuff!

And I began to avoid scratching. I could intentionally shoot the cue ball a certain way and I could avoid a scratch. Cool!

Since then I don't know how many times I've been playing and I've heard my opponent whisper to someone else "He is going to scratch on this shot..." And I say to myself "I don't think so!" Then I pocket my ball and don't scratch. The only scratching going on is my opponent scratching his head!

Over the past several years I have learned to use the 30/90 degree rules for other things like leaving position for my next shot, avoiding hitting other balls, or breaking out balls.

Needless to say this knowledge has really improved my playing. So a BIG thank you to Dr. Dave!

Furthermore I'd like to say I left a copy of Dr. Dave's book at my local bar. The only people who looked at it were the best players. But they instantly recognized it was good stuff. The book has disappeared several times and I keep replacing it. Anyway the better players are now convincing the lesser skilled players that the book is a good thing.

My thinking is that if I can improve the playing skills of the locals, I will have stiffer competition and this in turn will improve my playing. So my generous "gifts" of the book actually have a hidden motive... (I've also left a BCA rule book there.)

So a BIG thank you from many people in my area who have read and appreciate the advice in your book!

dr_dave
02-21-2007, 08:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I read "Dr. Dave stuff" here for quite awhile. I thought the high speed videos were cool, and even tried the 30/90 degree shots. I did not understand the 30/90 degree shots, but figured they must be important for something. I kept trying to shoot them, but did not understand the value of these shots.

Actually I was not shooting a stun shot properly, so could not see the 90 degree results. Thus I didn't "get it".

One day I broke down and ordered Dr. Dave's DVD. Then I watched it and something clicked in my brain. I suddenly realized I could easily tell ahead of time where the cue ball would go after a shot AND I could change the direction the cue ball went by choosing to shoot with follow or stun (30 degrees or 90 degrees).

I suddenly realized I could avoid scratching! Hey this is great stuff!

And I began to avoid scratching. I could intentionally shoot the cue ball a certain way and I could avoid a scratch. Cool!

Since then I don't know how many times I've been playing and I've heard my opponent whisper to someone else "He is going to scratch on this shot..." And I say to myself "I don't think so!" Then I pocket my ball and don't scratch. The only scratching going on is my opponent scratching his head!

Over the past several years I have learned to use the 30/90 degree rules for other things like leaving position for my next shot, avoiding hitting other balls, or breaking out balls.

Needless to say this knowledge has really improved my playing. So a BIG thank you to Dr. Dave!

Furthermore I'd like to say I left a copy of Dr. Dave's book at my local bar. The only people who looked at it were the best players. But they instantly recognized it was good stuff. The book has disappeared several times and I keep replacing it. Anyway the better players are now convincing the lesser skilled players that the book is a good thing.

My thinking is that if I can improve the playing skills of the locals, I will have stiffer competition and this in turn will improve my playing. So my generous "gifts" of the book actually have a hidden motive... (I've also left a BCA rule book there.)

So a BIG thank you from many people in my area who have read and appreciate the advice in your book!<hr /></blockquote>
Billy_Bob,

Thank you (and others) so much for your flattering words. I really appreciate that you have exposed others to my book.

I also owe you a lot of thanks for your postings over the years. You have contributed lots of good info. Things that come to mind are your precise 30-degree-rule calibration technique (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=227266&amp;page =0&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;fpart=&amp;vc=) and the 30- and 90-degree rule poetry (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=187418&amp;page =0&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;fpart=&amp;vc=&amp;PHPSESSID=) you helped create.

Again, a big thanks for your enthusiasm and contributions,
Dave

PS: I hope I get to meet you some day soon.

BigRigTom
02-21-2007, 09:31 AM
GREAT IDEA!
I have said many times that Dr. Dave's Book is THE BEST POOL BOOK I have ever read.
It is one of the few that combined with Dr. Dave's website can claim the right to say it is the RIGHT way to view many of the concepts in pool physics.
I don't know if Dr. Dave was the 1st to recognize the 30 degree rule but his book was the 1st time I had ever heard it and like Billy Bob I had to try it a few times to really understand it but once I did get it through my thick head ....WOW!...what a difference it has made.
I too recommend that book and the web site to others when I see them actively pursuing the improvement that we all strive for.

I remember telling Dr. Dave directly that his book put an end to a lot of searching by me for the CORRECT way to shoot many of the shots in pool. I still only get it right sometimes but thank to Dr. Dave I know when I have done it wrong. I can not say enough good things about the information Dr. Dave has made available to the world of pool and billiards players and when people disagree with his points he has always displayed the patience of a saint while respecting the views and opinions of others...regardless of how ridiculous some of those views have been at times.

Keep up the good work Dr. Dave, you are an inspiration to us all.....well most of us. There are still a few knuckleheads out there like those guys that laughed at Columbus when he sailed off into the sunset. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dr_dave
02-21-2007, 09:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> GREAT IDEA!
I have said many times that Dr. Dave's Book is THE BEST POOL BOOK I have ever read.
It is one of the few that combined with Dr. Dave's website can claim the right to say it is the RIGHT way to view many of the concepts in pool physics.
I don't know if Dr. Dave was the 1st to recognize the 30 degree rule but his book was the 1st time I had ever heard it and like Billy Bob I had to try it a few times to really understand it but once I did get it through my thick head ....WOW!...what a difference it has made.
I too recommend that book and the web site to others when I see them actively pursuing the improvement that we all strive for.

I remember telling Dr. Dave directly that his book put an end to a lot of searching by me for the CORRECT way to shoot many of the shots in pool. I still only get it right sometimes but thank to Dr. Dave I know when I have done it wrong. I can not say enough good things about the information Dr. Dave has made available to the world of pool and billiards players and when people disagree with his points he has always displayed the patience of a saint while respecting the views and opinions of others...regardless of how ridiculous some of those views have been at times.

Keep up the good work Dr. Dave, you are an inspiration to us all.....well most of us. There are still a few knuckleheads out there like those guys that laughed at Columbus when he sailed off into the sunset. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Wow! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

You and Billy_Bob are going to make my head big if you're not careful.

The positive feedback feels good and inspires me to do more.

Thanks again,
Dave

SpiderMan
02-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Hey, I really do appreciate Dr Dave, especially since the majority of his huge collection of billiards-related work is available online and totally free.

But this business about a "day" is likely to (1) embarass him, (2) embarass you after you sleep on it, (3) embarass a few more of us, and (4) maybe piss off a few folks who feel they should have been first in line for a "day".

It's a nice thought, but maybe you could send him candy instead /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
02-21-2007, 05:50 PM
I'll "luv" and respect anyone who can outlast me at the Rio buffet!

Going back this year?

SpiderMan

Stretch
02-21-2007, 07:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I'll "luv" and respect anyone who can outlast me at the Rio buffet!

Going back this year?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

I thought i could eat, you should see mr. hollow legs here go through crab legs.........bows to the Spider man. lol

As for Vegas again, Hell yes!! Aint won nuthin yet of course but got that week booked and our team is still in first place. So lookin good so far.Oh, that consecutive win run i was on? Gone. lol The week after i noticed it myself. *&amp;cked up an easy shot Grrrrrr........Oh well, came back last week and won all 4 so recovered quickly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Next time i'm not sayin nuthin!

Hey maybe we'll see Dave in Vegas? He could set up a booth for his books and Tapes. I'd buy one if the price was right. Race to 3 for a book. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif St.

dr_dave
02-21-2007, 08:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr>Hey maybe we'll see Dave in Vegas? He could set up a booth for his books and Tapes. I'd buy one if the price was right. Race to 3 for a book.<hr /></blockquote>
I can't make it to tournaments during the school year ... my day job keeps getting in the way. But when I do meet you, I'll most certainly take your bet. But what do I get when I win the race to 3?

Dave

dr_dave
02-21-2007, 08:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Hey, I really do appreciate Dr Dave, especially since the majority of his huge collection of billiards-related work is available online and totally free.

But this business about a "day" is likely to (1) embarass him, (2) embarass you after you sleep on it, (3) embarass a few more of us, and (4) maybe piss off a few folks who feel they should have been first in line for a "day".

It's a nice thought, but maybe you could send him candy instead /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>I prefer high quality billiards equipment; although, chocolate ain't bad.

Dave

Stretch
02-22-2007, 12:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr>Hey maybe we'll see Dave in Vegas? He could set up a booth for his books and Tapes. I'd buy one if the price was right. Race to 3 for a book.<hr /></blockquote>
I can't make it to tournaments during the school year ... my day job keeps getting in the way. But when I do meet you, I'll most certainly take your bet. But what do I get when I win the race to 3?

Dave <hr /></blockquote>

"if" you should win then i'll buy your book at retail value PLUS a beverage of your choice. The bragging rights alone would be imeasurable. Not too many people even SEE my wallet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif St.

Rich R.
02-22-2007, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> Hey maybe we'll see Dave in Vegas? He could set up a booth for his books and Tapes. I'd buy one if the price was right. Race to 3 for a book.<hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>I can't make it to tournaments during the school year ... my day job keeps getting in the way. But when I do meet you, I'll most certainly take your bet. But what do I get when I win the race to 3?<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr>"if" you should win then i'll buy your book at retail value PLUS a beverage of your choice. The bragging rights alone would be imeasurable. Not too many people even SEE my wallet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif St. <hr /></blockquote>
Dr. Dave, I have never seen Stretch play, but I have read accounts of his playing by several people on this forum. IMHO, you should just send him the book now and avoid the embarassment of playing him in a public setting. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

dr_dave
02-22-2007, 08:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr>Hey maybe we'll see Dave in Vegas? He could set up a booth for his books and Tapes. I'd buy one if the price was right. Race to 3 for a book.<hr /></blockquote>

Dave <hr /></blockquote>

"if" you should win then i'll buy your book at retail value PLUS a beverage of your choice. The bragging rights alone would be imeasurable. Not too many people even SEE my wallet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif St.<hr /></blockquote>Fair enough. I look forward to the opportunity to be schooled.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave
02-22-2007, 08:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> Hey maybe we'll see Dave in Vegas? He could set up a booth for his books and Tapes. I'd buy one if the price was right. Race to 3 for a book.<hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>I can't make it to tournaments during the school year ... my day job keeps getting in the way. But when I do meet you, I'll most certainly take your bet. But what do I get when I win the race to 3?<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr>"if" you should win then i'll buy your book at retail value PLUS a beverage of your choice. The bragging rights alone would be imeasurable. Not too many people even SEE my wallet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif St. <hr /></blockquote>
Dr. Dave, I have never seen Stretch play, but I have read accounts of his playing by several people on this forum. IMHO, you should just send him the book now and avoid the embarassment of playing him in a public setting. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>I would never turn down an opportunity to play somebody better than me. I would be happy to give him a copy of my book and buy him a beer for the honor.

Dave

dr_dave
02-22-2007, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> Hey maybe we'll see Dave in Vegas? He could set up a booth for his books and Tapes. I'd buy one if the price was right. Race to 3 for a book.<hr /></blockquote>

Dr. Dave, I have never seen Stretch play, but I have read accounts of his playing by several people on this forum. IMHO, you should just send him the book now and avoid the embarassment of playing him in a public setting. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>I would never turn down an opportunity to play somebody better than me. I would be happy to give him a copy of my book and buy him a beer for the honor.<hr /></blockquote>If I happen to break-and-run 3 racks and not give him the chance to do the same, would the "Dr. Dave haters" out there then think of me more as a pool player and less as an arrogant PhD physics nerd? Probably not, but it's worth a try.

Regards,
Dave

Rich R.
02-22-2007, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_dave:</font><hr>If I happen to break-and-run 3 racks and not give him the chance to do the same, would the "Dr. Dave haters" out there then think of me more as a pool player and less as an arrogant PhD physics nerd? Probably not, but it's worth a try.

Regards,
Dave <hr /></blockquote>
We will be waiting for the report. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
02-22-2007, 11:30 AM
If I happen to break-and-run 3 racks and not give him the chance to do the same, would the "Dr. Dave haters" out there then think of me more as a pool player and less as an arrogant PhD physics nerd? Probably not, but it's worth a try.

Underneath the thin veneer of skin in which we go through life, disguised as modern, civilized man....underneath is a
primordial beast, ready to slay anyone, to assert it's dominance.....
sounds pretty p/g to me.