PDA

View Full Version : Super fast Simonis 760

bradb
02-22-2007, 10:12 AM
I've been playing on my new 9' table with 760 and it lives up to its name as super fast. In fact its so slippery you must stay exactly on your QB aiming point or its goodbye shape.

What it has done though is force me to improve my QB control, when I do get a touch of unwanted side, I can see it clearly and know I'm not quing perfectly. After 3 months I've mastered it however, playing in my league on 860 is a bear. It takes me several games to dial in the pace, but when I do I'm shooting better there too.
Had the guys over for a king of the hill and of course nobody could knock me off. Nobody got a chance to play long enough to adjust.

Having said all this I'm at odds as to recovering with 860, (and the cost.) The frustration sometimes outweighs the benefit I've gained... Its hard going back and forth between the 2 surfaces. Wondering what other players think of the 760?
Also I gotta get the gang to come back over again!!. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fran Crimi
02-22-2007, 01:39 PM
I like to hit the ball. 760 Makes me feel like I have to half-stroke or soft roll everything. I'll take 860 any day of the week over 760. I think that 760 was invented before 860 so it was a big improvement over the rug-type cloths that were out there before, but once 860 came along we were all hooked. It's not fun making the adjustment back and forth between the two. In fact, I find it rather painful. I wouldn't do it unless I had no choice.

Fran

JimS
02-22-2007, 10:29 PM
I can't think of any reason I'd want the 760. It's not close to anything I'm going to experience out there in the world. Playing on a table like that for any length of time just throws me out of sync for playing pool in the world. But then that's just exactly what you and Fran have just said.

The 760 is a fun experiment... but that's all.

ABQ_Poolhead
02-22-2007, 10:54 PM
I've been playing on 760 on my home table for over a year. I love it! It has helped me refine my stroke, because when my stroke or speed is off, there's no hiding it on 760. I play on 860 on our league 8' tables (my home table is a 9'). For me, they are almost the same. I adapt to either very quickly, whereas I struggle the first couple of games on the barbox's. 760 is definitely my favorite!

Greg in VA
02-23-2007, 05:54 AM
I know EXACTLY what you go through trying to adjust. I have 860 at home and every other week play at my friends who has Granito Tournament 2000. That cloth is the fastest stuff I have EVER seen. It's like playing on formica! And since I'm the one that told him about the Granito, (I first read about it here) I can only blame myself.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bsmutz
02-23-2007, 09:42 AM
I have 760 on my snooker table and 860 on the pool table. I love them both. It prepares me for everything except the shaggy dog cloth they use on some of the bar tables around here.

Deeman3
02-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Brad,

I like 760 on a REALLY level table. The 860 is better if there is even the slightest unlevel condition. I can handle the faster speed but that roll off just makes it unfair to have to be so much more sensitive to speed but go unrewarded by a left turn at the end of the shot.

DeeMan
who cares what i think....

bradb
02-23-2007, 02:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Brad,

I like 760 on a REALLY level table. The 860 is better if there is even the slightest unlevel condition. I can handle the faster speed but that roll off just makes it unfair to have to be so much more sensitive to speed but go unrewarded by a left turn at the end of the shot.

DeeMan
<hr /></blockquote>
Yes the place where i bought it recommended it only for a high quality table in a well leveled area. Also it must be cleaned often as anything on the surface will effect play.

I've experienced what everyone here is saying about this clothe. But I lean towards the players who do like it as I understand their preference. One thing I really like is the nifty Qball action you can get when you need it... very frustrating when I try it in the league and no dice.

One question for BSmutz, I was told the Simonis clothe won't go on a standard 12' snooker table because of the pocket cut. Are you playing on a 5 x 10? - Brad

bsmutz
02-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Yes, it's a 5x10. Sometimes ya gotta settle for what fits...