PDA

View Full Version : "Carom pool" !!

BRussell
02-22-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure if that's the right term for it, but the idea is that, rather than shooting the cue ball into an object ball, you shoot the object ball into the cue ball, and try to make the object ball carom into a pocket. It's a helluva lot of fun, and it gets you thinking very differently from most other pocket billiards games. It's great practice for learning where your cueball is headed in pool, too.

Does anyone play this, or heard of this discussed before? I know I heard it somewhere, but I can't remember where now. Is it ever played as an actual game?

Cydpkt
02-22-2007, 04:02 PM
We have a tournament with it over here. It is a little different but it helps to improve your game because you are caroming or kissing off of the cue ball. I just don't like getting all the balls with chalk marks. I guess I'm too lazy to clean them off. It will help your game and is a great way to practice a part of the game that gets little attention.

underdog
02-22-2007, 04:24 PM
I have heard it called "polish pool" or "kiss pool". It's definitly a different type of game.

Stretch
02-22-2007, 05:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BRussell:</font><hr> I'm not sure if that's the right term for it, but the idea is that, rather than shooting the cue ball into an object ball, you shoot the object ball into the cue ball, and try to make the object ball carom into a pocket. It's a helluva lot of fun, and it gets you thinking very differently from most other pocket billiards games. It's great practice for learning where your cueball is headed in pool, too.

Does anyone play this, or heard of this discussed before? I know I heard it somewhere, but I can't remember where now. Is it ever played as an actual game? <hr /></blockquote>

Yep, i play it from time to time whenever i think about it lol. It will really hone your carom skills because that's all you shoot. the same can be said for playing one pocket to hone your banking game, straight pool to look at pattern play, all off hand to strengthen and groove those shots, playing all shots with the bridge rest to feel comfortable with that............Darn game forces you to play everything else well just to "Get er done". St.

&gt;&gt; "The problem is not that there are problems. the problem is expecting otherwise and think that having problems is a problem." Theodor Rubin

BRussell
02-22-2007, 06:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cydpkt:</font><hr> We have a tournament with it over here. It is a little different but it helps to improve your game because you are caroming or kissing off of the cue ball. I just don't like getting all the balls with chalk marks. I guess I'm too lazy to clean them off. It will help your game and is a great way to practice a part of the game that gets little attention. <hr /></blockquote>Hey, I'll have to come up to Helena to play! Have they got some good pool happenings up there?

Cydpkt
02-23-2007, 07:59 AM
The carom tourney is an APA sponsored event. I will have to look to see when they are going to hold the next one. As far as pool happening over here, I think that its not too bad. We have a couple of strong players. Where are you located? The MT Rockies covers a little bit of ground.

Billy_Bob
02-23-2007, 09:10 AM
This is great practice which will pay off BIG time!

I have done this practice quite a bit in the past. Now when I do not have any shot, I can sometimes see a carom shot. I will maybe call the 4 in the corner and there is no direct path for that 4 to go into that pocket.

My opponent will say "Yea right!"

Then I make the 4 in the corner by caroming it off another ball. My opponent stares at the pocket with his mouth hanging open...

These shots are difficult at first, but with a little practice, they are somewhat easy.

And if you have the ability to make these shots... If you have a ball say right on the edge of the side pocket rail (a trouble ball), you can carom a ball off that ball into the side pocket. So you make your ball, but also break out a trouble ball.

Bottom line, practicing this can give you the ability to get out of sticky situations with not very much time spent practicing. (Maybe shoot in a rack like this once a day for two months.)

ceebee
02-23-2007, 09:18 AM
We have played that game, here in Oklahoma. We actually moved the bar up to one &amp; two rail banks, off the Cue Ball.

Playing Position is tough too, but can be done with a little practice. The Game is fun &amp; you can learn something about the paths of both balls (object ball &amp; cue ball).

We start the game with the Cue Ball (becomes the only object ball on the Table) in the #1 position of the 9 Ball Rack. The #1 Ball is placed in the Kitchen &amp; shot into the Lead Object Ball. Hopefully the #1 Ball scratches in the corner. The #2 Ball becomes the new Cue Ball. It is shot into the Cue Ball, wherever that may be. Safety Play is also a part of the game.

Great Game.

Cleaning up the Balls, afterwards, is a must.

BRussell
02-23-2007, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cydpkt:</font><hr> The carom tourney is an APA sponsored event. I will have to look to see when they are going to hold the next one. As far as pool happening over here, I think that its not too bad. We have a couple of strong players. Where are you located? The MT Rockies covers a little bit of ground. <hr /></blockquote>Hey, I sent you a PM.

By the way, to those of you who have played this, what's it called?

Cydpkt
02-23-2007, 02:18 PM
They call it Pollacky Pool over here.