PDA

View Full Version : Cuetec Fired Strickland

GeorgeV
02-23-2007, 02:32 PM
My latest subscription to Billiards Digest arrived today, and I read in it that Cuetec has fired Earl Strickland. Cuetc president, Jones Chang, said, "Earl has endorsed Cuetec from 1990 until 2007...He made great contributions to the game and to Cuetec. But when he loses, he loses himself. And that affects the Cuetec image. His behavior is detrimental to our promotion. We have stood by him in the past, but now it is time to end our relationship."

"Imperial [International, who recently acquired J-S, the Cuetec distributor] never liked me," Strickland said. "They were ready to boot me the first time I sneezed. I thik they pressured Cuetec into firing me. But Jones had it with me anyway."

...Strickland insisted that the production cue contributed to his poor play in recent years, which in turn contributed to his ornery behavior.

"I can't get any better with that cue anyway," Strickland insisted. "If they [Cuetec] made a better cue, I'd still be winning. But I was handicapped with that cue. I was at a 2-ball disadvantage against a guy like Mike Immonen playing with a good wood cue...And they never treated me right."

As for who would suffer more from the break-up, Strickland responded pointedly. "I made Cuetec," he said. "They didn't make me."

It's been like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

What do you think happens now? Any other sponsors gonna grab up Strickland? Or is the rest of the industry gonna stay away from him?

George in VA

Cydpkt
02-23-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm interested to see how he does with a different cue. He really put himself out there. Who would sponsor him now that he bad mouthed his old sponsor. I think Allison Fisher has done more for Cuetec than Earl ever did.
Whats his next excuse for blowing a gasket? I'm sure his whole personality will change now. It was all the cues fault!

Deeman3
02-23-2007, 02:46 PM
I think it was very shabby and showed poor class to put down a product and company who stood behind him much longer than others did. It may not be the best thing on the market but is certainly not a major reason for Earl's continued self-destruction. I used to be a supporter but just feel sorry for him leaving such a legacy after having such a great career and the possibility of going out as a class act.

DeeMan

jjinfla
02-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Oh I imagine someone else will latch onto Earl. If he can find someone to talk sense into him and get him to concentrate on his game and not pay attention to the fans and his opponents then he might be good for himself and his new sponsor.

He will also hurt the Cuetec sales if he does well with a new cue. I don't know how much better he can play with a new cue, but if he does then we can see sales of that cue skyrocket. And Cuetec drop off.

I wonder which cue he favors? A Varner cue? A Sigel cue? Somehow I don't think so.

Jake

canadan
02-23-2007, 03:02 PM
I like Earl, great news finaly he can stop playing with thouse junky cues. I know I have 2 of them and can sell them to anyone. HE WILL WIN MORE ! 4 sure

SpiderMan
02-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Sounds like he damaged his chances at sponsorship by publicly bad-mouthing his former employer's products. Hiring him would be quite a risk, knowing that he'd likely serve up a repeat performance when the next business relationship ends.

SpiderMan

wannabeplayer
02-23-2007, 03:23 PM
i cant see any major "player" in the billiard industry that would pick him up. He was fired by Olhausen 10 years ago (or longer) for the same thing and he badmouthed them.And if you notice not another table MFG has touched him. I am surprised that Cutec held on to him so long. A little humilty and humbleness and not assinine and arrogance goes a long way.

Billy
02-23-2007, 03:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Oh I imagine someone else will latch onto Earl. If he can find someone to talk sense into him and get him to concentrate on his game and not pay attention to the fans and his opponents then he might be good for himself and his new sponsor.

He will also hurt the Cuetec sales if he does well with a new cue. I don't know how much better he can play with a new cue, but if he does then we can see sales of that cue skyrocket. And Cuetec drop off.

I wonder which cue he favors? A Varner cue? A Sigel cue? Somehow I don't think so.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

he's always played with a Meucci up until his contract with CueTec

jmo

SPetty
02-23-2007, 04:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> If he can find someone to talk sense into him and get him to concentrate on his game and not pay attention to the fans and his opponents then he might be good for himself and his new sponsor. <hr /></blockquote>I think it's a safe bet to believe that Cuetec has been trying to do that for years.

It's about time Cuetec let him go. I don't think any other sponsors will pick him up, unless it's for wacky glasses or finger extensions...

Maybe a Wisconsin cheese deal to go with the whine?

pooltchr
02-23-2007, 04:16 PM
While I agree that Earl would have been better served to remain silent (Not really his style!!), but I think Cuetec showed very little class by releasing the details of the separation in the way they did. They could have said something like after 17 years, we have made a business decision to move in a different direction with regards to sponsorship. We wish ES well in his future.
Airing the details just tells me something about Cuetec as well.
Steve

slow_roller
02-23-2007, 04:57 PM
I'll pipe in: Neither side showed much class.

I'd like to emphasize one thing: why would you endorse a product you have no belief in whatsoever? Where's the integrity in that?

ceebee
02-23-2007, 05:54 PM
[quote SlowRoller...I'd like to emphasize one thing: why would you endorse a product you have no belief in whatsoever? Where's the integrity in that? unquote]

Absolutely.

The BreakRAK Company will be signing a few good players, very soon, Earl Strickland won't be one of our choices. When we do select a a couple of Professionals, they won't be endorsers of our products, they will be percentage owners of the company.

The Professionals that now use our BreakRAK, paid for the product, they were not given one. If a player isn't willing to spend his own money for a product, why would a company give him the product &amp; then sponsor that player.

TennesseeJoe
02-23-2007, 06:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> While I agree that Earl would have been better served to remain silent (Not really his style!!), but I think Cuetec showed very little class by releasing the details of the separation in the way they did. They could have said something like after 17 years, we have made a business decision to move in a different direction with regards to sponsorship. We wish ES well in his future.
Airing the details just tells me something about Cuetec as well.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Excellent post--I agree 100%.
It's a personal and financial loss for both parties. Dignity and respect go a long way.

BigRigTom
02-23-2007, 06:50 PM
I have always liked Earl and he is a great shot regardless of what anyone says about his volatility...he is a passionate individual and was always a hoot to watch ..win or lose.
Unfortunately he has gone over the edge the past year or so.
I don't blame Cuetec for seperating themselves from him but I hope he pulls his head together and make Cuetec sorry they didn't stick it out.
I also don't understand how Earl can say the cues are crap after taking Cuetec's money for 17 years. He is a hot head and he probably was just lashing out at the demons that haunt him, Cuetec just happens to be the one name on this one.

No matter what he will always be the "PEARL"......maybe the "BLACK PEARL" now......or will that be the 'BLACK BALLED PEARL"?

Rich R.
02-23-2007, 07:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> While I agree that Earl would have been better served to remain silent (Not really his style!!), but I think Cuetec showed very little class by releasing the details of the separation in the way they did. They could have said something like after 17 years, we have made a business decision to move in a different direction with regards to sponsorship. We wish ES well in his future.
Airing the details just tells me something about Cuetec as well. <hr /></blockquote>
I have a feeling there is a lot more to this story than we know, or will ever know.
It is not like any business to air their dirty laundry in this way.
Does anyone know if Earl or Cuetec made their statement first?
Did Earl threaten Cuetec with his statement and Cuetec decided to release their statement first?

IMHO, Cuetec has put up with Earl's crap for way too many years and Earl should be a little more grateful.

Fran Crimi
02-24-2007, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> [quote SlowRoller...I'd like to emphasize one thing: why would you endorse a product you have no belief in whatsoever? Where's the integrity in that? unquote]

Absolutely.

The BreakRAK Company will be signing a few good players, very soon, Earl Strickland won't be one of our choices. When we do select a a couple of Professionals, they won't be endorsers of our products, they will be percentage owners of the company.

Professionals that now use our BreakRAK, paid for the product, they were not given one. If a player isn't willing to spend his own money for a product, why would a company give him the product &amp; then sponsor that player. <hr /></blockquote>

Everyone has their own marketing strategy, and I wish you the best with yours but as far as I know, professionals in every other sport do not pay for their equipment. Every product they use is in the spotlight and is automatic advertising for the manufacturer. I think pro pool players deserve that same courtesy by the industry.

Those pros who are able to secure contracts where they actually get PAID for using a product, I say hat's off to them! It's tough trying to make a living out there. I certainly don't think that if I buy a Nike driver that I'm going to get an exact replica of Tiger Woods's driver. You'd have to be really dumb to think that.

I don't know what happened between Earl and Cuetec but traditionally, a manufacturer will not badmouth a player unless they have been put in a position to have to defend themselves.

Fran

jjinfla
02-24-2007, 08:16 AM
After thinking about it I realized that everyone knew that Earl and Allison played with Cuetec cues and were sponsored by them. What being sponsored by Cuetec means I am sure not many people know. I don't. Besides cues what kind of money were they receiving?

But other than these two players I really can't think of any players who are sponsored by cuemakers. Corey had 5280 for a while. A few players are now supposedly making cues. Varner, Sigel. So I suppose that a player saying he is using a particular cue does not really generate any business for that cuemaker. Nothing like when Jordan put on a pair of Nike's. Every kid in Chicago ran out and had to buy 3-5 of them at $125 a pop. One was not enough. But in pool I doubt that anyone, or very few people bought a cue because a pro played with it and recommended it.

This is probably another fallout from the IPT. Had the IPT been successful Cuetec would still be sponsoring Earl.

Jake

eg8r
02-24-2007, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I certainly don't think that if I buy a Nike driver that I'm going to get an exact replica of Tiger Woods's driver. You'd have to be really dumb to think that.
<hr /></blockquote> This might be a little off topic, but why shouldn't the buyer expect to get a replica? Where is the truth in advertising? If they tell you Tiger is using a specific driver and they sell that driver, I would hope that is what you get, a copy of what he is using. If it happens I have no idea and I doubt it.

Also, as far as being "dumb" for thinking they would get a specific replica...there are many impressionable children whom look up to these athletes and purchase sporting equipment because their heros are using it. They think they are getting the same thing. They are probably wrong but it does not make them dumb, naive might be a better choice.

As far as the topic concerned...Hooray for Cuetec.

eg8r

JPB
02-24-2007, 02:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
I certainly don't think that if I buy a Nike driver that I'm going to get an exact replica of Tiger Woods's driver. You'd have to be really dumb to think that.
<hr /></blockquote> This might be a little off topic, but why shouldn't the buyer expect to get a replica? Where is the truth in advertising? If they tell you Tiger is using a specific driver and they sell that driver, I would hope that is what you get, a copy of what he is using. If it happens I have no idea and I doubt it.

Also, as far as being "dumb" for thinking they would get a specific replica...there are many impressionable children whom look up to these athletes and purchase sporting equipment because their heros are using it. They think they are getting the same thing. They are probably wrong but it does not make them dumb, naive might be a better choice.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Well, it may be the same driver with the same brand of shaft. But with Tiger the driver he gets is tweaked to fit his swing exactly. They will work on the specs to get things just how he wants them. Odds are you don't want Tiger's exact club, most people wouldn't hit it as well as something else. But the club may be very similar. The difference is not having a whole staff of engineers and clubfitters working to get it right for you. So is it the same or not? Replica? Yes. But hand selected, built, and tweaked? No. I guess it would be similar to playing with a custom cue from a given shop. A pro might have it tweaked with taper, length, weight. If you buy one at 58" with a stock taper at 19 OZ is it the same? Same joint, woods, wrap. Is the cue the same?

Rich R.
02-24-2007, 02:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> After thinking about it I realized that everyone knew that Earl and Allison played with Cuetec cues and were sponsored by them. What being sponsored by Cuetec means I am sure not many people know. I don't. Besides cues what kind of money were they receiving?

<font color="red">I've heard numbers mentioned in the area of $100K per year, for each of them, but I have no firm proof of that. </font color>

But other than these two players I really can't think of any players who are sponsored by cuemakers.
<font color="red">Off the top of my head, I can think of a few players sponsored by cue makers, or representing their own line of cues. I may not be up to date on all of these, they change quickly, but here are a few.
Cory Duel -- Woodpecker cues.
Nick Varner -- Varner cues.
Mike Sigel -- Mike Sigel cues.
Mika Immonen -- Mezz cues.
Gabe Owen -- Troy Downey cues.
Johnny Archer -- Scorpion cues.
Shawn Putnam -- Josey Custom cues.
Ralf Souquet -- Joss cues.
Thorsten Hohmann -- Universal Smart Shaft (half a cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
Charlie Williams -- Predator
Allison Fisher -- Cuetec cues.
Kelly Fisher -- formerly sponsored by Fury cues and now in the process of starting her own line of cues.
Sarah Rousey -- Barnhart Custom cues.
</font color> <hr /></blockquote>
I have to assume there are many more.

I'm sure these sponsorships range from free cues to substantial incomes. However, I'm also sure that none of them come anywhere near Michael Jordon or Tiger Woods amounts of money.

TennesseeJoe
02-24-2007, 03:43 PM
While I believe it is both bad business and in poor taste for either player or sponsor to badmouth their prior relationship, I believe it unconscionable for a sponsor to badmouth a player prior to a relationship, i.e.,"Earl Strickland won't be one of our choices".

Fran Crimi
02-24-2007, 06:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

If you're an adult, and you think that you are getting the same driver that Tiger Woods has, then you are dumb.

I wouldn't know anything about how children buy equipment. My parents always had the final say on what equipment I got.

Fran

jjinfla
02-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Rich R.,

Charlie Williams was probably one pro who worked hard to publicize his sponsor - Predator. But I think he lost that sponsor. Sarah Rousey plays with a Barnhart but I don't think she is sponsored by them anymore. At least she was advertising that she lost her sponsor and was looking for a sponsor.

I guess my point was that sponsors do not really get anything back when they sponsor a pro. The pros take the cues and the money and never have anything nice to say about their sponsors. Allison is an exception. She gets the Cuetec name on TV all the time.

But then Charlie did do a pretty good job of promoting Predator. I'll bet he even started a lot of the threads about a 314. It got old after a while, but I really couldn't blame him for trying. At least he did try and help his sponsor. And I would have to say that he did a pretty good job of it.

Jake

dg-in-centralpa
02-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Where is "Sheesha" with her input on this? I would like to here the "real" reason , according to her.

DG /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

cueball1950
02-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Earl knew last September at the U.S. Open that this was coming from the talk we had about him and gambling. When i asked him if cuetec would mind he asked me WHO. i said cuetec. and he stated, they won't even be figuring into the equation if and when i do....................mike

jjinfla
02-25-2007, 07:13 AM
Earl is gambling?

trob
02-25-2007, 07:25 AM
I just read the article that bd did about earl. The funny thing is he talks about all the things that make him mad because there disrespectfull to the game. His actions are actually the worst for the game.

MrLucky
02-25-2007, 07:55 AM
<font color="red"> I would kind of think this was a accident waiting to happen!
IMO! a corporate sponsor needs their representatives to represent them in the best light ! Anything a sponsoree does reflects back upon the sponsor and Earl just doesn't get it ! not that I am a cuetec lover, quite the contrary but if I am willing to accept their money then I must be willing to represent them to my fullest capacity! JMO ! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

dg-in-centralpa
02-25-2007, 08:23 AM
I don't think that Earl "made" Cuetec. He rarely gets on TV, compared to Allison Fisher. If anyone "Made" Cuetec, it's her.

DG - jmho

wannabeplayer
02-25-2007, 10:58 AM
johnny archer does a pretty good job sponsoring Scorpion cues. I saw him at a tourney and i talked to him about the Scorpion cue. He raved about it. Then i asked him is his cue the exact same as bought off the shelf? His answr was..."No, I use a Predator shaft". So to the thought of getting Tigers driver and etc.....i dont think so.

cueball1950
02-25-2007, 01:59 PM
jj....what earl said was that he was thinking of going back to gambling in order to supplement his income. He claimed that when he was gambling he always had more money.......mike

Dagwood
02-25-2007, 04:47 PM
He's going to have to after this debacle. No sponsor in their right mind is going to give him their name to promote after what he said about Cuetec...regardless of who was right and who was wrong. No manufacturer would willingly put their product in the hands of someone who will most likely in the end stab them in the back later on down the road.

On the flip side, I don't think Cuetec dropping the Pearl will really hurt them. As was stated earlier, he really didn't get on television hardly ever. That was mostly Allison Fisher. With what price range the Cuetec's go for, they are shooting for that consumer group outside of the billiard 'clique', so television coverage is more important to them than having one of the most prolific 9 ball shooters in the game. Just my 2 cents...

jjinfla
02-26-2007, 06:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> jj....what earl said was that he was thinking of going back to gambling in order to supplement his income. He claimed that when he was gambling he always had more money.......mike <hr /></blockquote>

Well, the way Earl has been dogging tournaments lately (when did he last win one?)and losing twice to Robb Saez I imagine the players will be lining up to take him on.

It seems that all they would have to do is hold on until the demons take over Earl and then bust him. Ha Ha

Jake

wannabeplayer
02-27-2007, 11:19 AM
i am at a loos because of what Earl claims as teh reason he cant win....it must be the cue. As I remember Earl WON a lot with the cutec cue he was shooting with. When he won it wasnt the cues fault but as soon as losing sets in.....the cue is to blame. I think that Earl the Squirel will be lucky to get another big name sponser. And if you know Earl.....its everyone elses fault but his own.

pooltchr
02-27-2007, 11:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wannabeplayer:</font><hr> i am at a loos because of what Earl claims as teh reason he cant win....it must be the cue. As I remember Earl WON a lot with the cutec cue he was shooting with. When he won it wasnt the cues fault but as soon as losing sets in.....the cue is to blame. I think that Earl the Squirel will be lucky to get another big name sponser. And if you know Earl.....its everyone elses fault but his own. <hr /></blockquote>

When you watch a NASCAR race on tv, the winner will always say something like "We had a great car today! That (insert sponsor's name) (Ford, Dodge, Chevy) was just awsome, and the crew did a great job getting it set up"

When was the last time a pool player won a tournament and said "I couldn't have done it without my (Cuetec,Meucci,Fury,Schon, whatever) cue. It was just incredible, and the tip my repair guy put on last week really did the job."? But they are sure quick to blame the equipment when they lose. Go figure! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Steve

SpiderMan
02-27-2007, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

If you're an adult, and you think that you are getting the same driver that Tiger Woods has, then you are dumb.

I wouldn't know anything about how children buy equipment. My parents always had the final say on what equipment I got.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Chopstick,

You're all over golf-gear trends like flies on a horse turd /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tell us all - does Tiger Woods get something "extra" in his driver that isn't sold to the public? I'm not talking about it being cut to fit his physique or whatever. That's all stuff I could probably order as well.

What I mean: Is Tiger's technology different from what the street buyer gets?

SpiderMan

Deeman3
02-27-2007, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>

When you watch a NASCAR race on tv, the winner will always say something like "We had a great car today! That (insert sponsor's name) (Ford, Dodge, Chevy) was just awsome, and the crew did a great job getting it set up"

When was the last time a pool player won a tournament and said "I couldn't have done it without my (Cuetec,Meucci,Fury,Schon, whatever) cue. It was just incredible, and the tip my repair guy put on last week really did the job."? But they are sure quick to blame the equipment when they lose. Go figure! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Steve,

This is an excellent point and says much more about the ability of our top players to "sell" their endorser's product and themselves than anything else. Just as an added point, not especialy about the exact subject but worth noting. How many other sports do you see a sponsor run out and slap a decal onto the back of a player as they are warming up. The sticker starts coming off and the whole event looks like the finals of the World Foosball Championship. Maybe not all can dress like Archer and have logos neatly sewn onto their attire but, geez, make a better effort.....</font color>

DeeMan

Brian in VA
02-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Actually Spidey, I read an article in Golf Digest recently that said more and more of the pros are playing off the rack clubs. The technology has increased to the point that the manufacturers can make the best affordable to everyone. That doesn't mean that the pros don't get fitted perfectly; they do. The gear is matched to their swing speed, launch angle, ball speed and spin are calibrated to deliver what the players wants. You can get that too if you're willing to pay for it.
The most exacting players, Tiger's is included in that group, will get one offs in their irons and especially in their wedges.

I hit the same driver as Tiger but it doesn't go nearly as far. Or as straight. But I'd be glad to give him the 7 in a quick race though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brian in VA

DickLeonard
02-28-2007, 08:29 AM
richr all combined I think Tiger's caddie makes more $$$$.####

hoodsiejr
02-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Based on posted quotes from Earl, I have to say its best for both parties. Cuetec makes some ugly stuff and Earl has no class. What a dope, don't sign on to endorse something you don't believe in but if you do and you take their money have the class to say that it was your fault in making that decision. Either way Cuetec is better off without him and if the quotes are accurate from Strickland, I can't imagine any other manufacturer wanting to pay this half wit to represent their company.

trob
02-28-2007, 02:08 PM
They used to say that about tiger and Nike clubs. There products were inferiour at first and alot of people said that he hated playing with them but was being paid o much money not to.

Ralph S.
02-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Something I noticed while reading the responses in this thread is that nobody mentioned that very few sponsors actually have the financial resources to pay top dollars to their endorsers. Aside from the major manufacturers such as McDermott, Predator, Cuetec and so on, Small operations by custom cuemakers just dont have the resources to pay out the $$$, even the more popular and better cue makers included.

I would assume that there are other underlying factors that played into the split between Earl and Cuetec.

Deeman3
03-01-2007, 07:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> I would assume that there are other underlying factors that played into the split between Earl and Cuetec. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Yes, like he is going more and more nuts every tournament? I don't think much more needs to underlay that simple fact.</font color>

DeeMan
It's torture to watch a man self destruct.....

cycopath
03-02-2007, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr>When was the last time a pool player won a tournament and said "I couldn't have done it without my (Cuetec,Meucci,Fury,Schon, whatever) cue. <hr /></blockquote>

For what it's worth, on one of the 2001 Accu-Stats 8-Ball Invitational tapes during his interview Roger Griffis raves about his Phoenix custom cue, who was his sponser at the time and a key sponser in the event also.

SUPERSTAR
03-03-2007, 07:32 AM
I don't presume to know the business contract that existed between Earl and Cuetec.
but i will say this. Having seen him ridicule his cue over the years enough times, i would think that he's lucky.

If he were in most other high end industries where world champs and celebs are getting serious 7 figure cash, he'd be getting sued right now for breach of contract for badmouthing his cues in the past.

It's only cause the industry is NOT that high end, that i feel he's able to just leave unscathed.

I've remember reading about lawsuits about someone who was contracted to wear a certain type of watch for the duration of a timeperiod getting sued because they were spotted wearing a different brand in public, and have seen lawsuits of a similar nature for other products, such as makeup, jewelery or sports apparel and equipment.

Who knows, if Cuetec sent a spy to every tournament to observe Earls antics, i would think that at ANY time he was caught ripping on cuetec cues, that it would be crystal clear, and that it would be fully within Cuetecs right to terminate Earl in any fashion they deem suitable.

If i had a product, and i had a faithful employee who had been with us for a long time, performance or not, i most likely would give them benefit of the doubt and keep them on, but if i were to ever catch them badmouthing me, my product, and the company, i would toss them out on their ass and leave them destitute, to rot in the streets.

If Cuetec caught him at ANY time talking trash on their product, he deserves absolutely NOTHING from them.

I'm sure that we have a plethora of individuals on this forum who either know Earl or have come in contact with him. I'm sure there are countless stories where he has ripped on Cuetec, but gladly cashed their checks and went out to eat. All cuetec had to do was catch him ONCE!

Earl got off easy.

jjinfla
03-04-2007, 02:55 PM
I don't think Earl ever really complained about the cue until after the split. He proudly showed them to me back in December. Of course he did modify them quite a bit.

I don't know which model he used or how much it retails for but I suspect that it was not a bottom of the line Cuetec.

But since Cuetec does have a rating lower than some other cues Earl saying that playing with a Cuetec is like giving Mika a two ball advantage is probably a bit of exaggeration on his part. It could be taken as a backhanded compliment to the cue that Mika is playing with.

Of course why does a person change cues? Simply because he feels he will play better with a better, or different cue.

But then, if Earl thinks Cuetec Cues are terrible then that is good enough for me - I won't buy one.

Of course, I don't plan on buying any more cues anyway.

Jake

jjinfla
03-04-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't know what cue Mika now plays with but they now could probably quote Earl and say that the cue gives Mika a two ball advantage. That is quite a compliment to the cue that Mika uses.