PDA

View Full Version : What type of Internet access do you have?

dr_dave
02-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Sometimes I get spoiled by the high-speed Internet connectivity available at my university. I try to tailor my website for people with all types of connectivity, but I know some things are difficult to view (e.g., video demos) with slow-speed connections. This got me wondering: how many people out there have slow-speed dial-up connections?

Thank you for your answers,
Dave

wolfdancer
02-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Started off in the Bay Area with dialup....then went to DSL...great at first, but became a nightmare. The modem got loaded more often then I did...and turned into a 50% down time.
Problem was..I was outside the limit at the time from the nearest "access point"...or, whatever it is called...and the telephone lines to the nearest poles were old and deteriorating.....And then....Cable became available...the delay was that SF had required that the lines be buried.
Cable internet is a BMW to dial-ups model T. It's more entertaining watching grass grow then to wait for a video to load. AND now.....our new HOA Prez....thinks he can pull some strings and get our little community here on a T1 line. don't know what that is technically, but I understand it pulls up the sites faster'n you can type them in.
I just set my friend's computer up in Reno...dialup...netzero...which must stand for the download rate.
I trade stocks and trying that on dial up was a disaster...by the time your order got executed, the stock may have already been investigated by the SEC and delisted, the CEO and CFO in jail.
What was the question?....
Cable !!!

cushioncrawler
02-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Dunno what we've got, my missuz organized it, i think it iz broadband, we (out in the bush near woop-woop) have a dedicated large dish on the roof, which talks to a satellite low on the horizon. madMac.

Cane
02-25-2007, 06:56 PM
I have Hughes Net Sat. connection, but right now on wireless in a hotel. Love the Hughes connections. NEVER a problem... yet!

Bob

SPetty
02-25-2007, 07:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> I have Hughes Net Sat. connection, but right now on wireless in a hotel. Love the Hughes connections. NEVER a problem... yet!<hr /></blockquote>Well I've got a problem with your Hughes! I sent email to you and it bounced!!! I'm trying PM now, but I'd like to get in contact with you soon...

As to internet access, I'm apparently the only one in the world still on dialup... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
02-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Why isn't this in the NON-Pool related forum?

wolfdancer
02-26-2007, 01:24 AM
I think the pool relationship Doc D had in mind,was the rough percentage of folks here that could easily access his videos, or the many videos on Colin's site.

Billy_Bob
02-26-2007, 08:00 AM
I might add that if you are trying to reach pool players, some of them in my area don't know how to use a computer.

Others are not very good at reading.

They do go to regional pool tournaments and look at the things displayed in the vendor's booths.

One way to reach them might be to have a TV showing the slow motion video of a double hit and maybe a sign saying "DOUBLE HIT" above it.

This would get their attention and also educate players at the same time. Then once you get their attention, you could do whatever.

These people know how to operate a DVD, but not a CD for a computer.

dr_dave
02-26-2007, 09:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> I have Hughes Net Sat. connection, but right now on wireless in a hotel. Love the Hughes connections. NEVER a problem... yet!<hr /></blockquote>I guess I should have listed more options on my poll; although, I would consider a satellite connection to be equivalent to a cable connection. I hope the Hughes connection has you back on the CCB to stay now.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave
02-26-2007, 09:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Why isn't this in the NON-Pool related forum?<hr /></blockquote>
Good point; although, this issue is apparently affecting whether or not users can access pool resources often cited on this forum. And the question came up on this forum, so I thought it was appropriate. Apparently, others agree.

Regards,
Dave

TennesseeJoe
02-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Dial up only. We live so far out in the country that we are lucky to have a phone. Our main road has grass in the middle of it. We are so far out that we have to have our own Tom Cat. Well, gotta go milk the cow for breakfast.

Sid_Vicious
02-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Satellite is not cost effective IMO. It would have cost me nearly six times what DSL was going for locally when I was stuck on dialup, so I merely said no. Thrn you have equipment to buy most times with satellite, quite the investment. sid

dr_dave
02-26-2007, 01:32 PM
I was hoping more people would respond to this poll so the results would be more meaningful. Please sumbit your vote here (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=245741&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1) if you haven't done so yet.

Thanks,
Dave

WoodMonkey
03-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Cable modem.

jjinfla
03-04-2007, 02:34 PM
I marked cable modem but I actually connect through Embarq phone line. Also have Linksys wireless to connnect another computer.

Not many answers to the poll could be an indication of just a plain lack of interest in pool by people. The views to a thread could be the same people checking it out several times a day.

How many hits to your website do you average on a daily basis.

dr_dave
03-04-2007, 04:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>How many hits to your website do you average on a daily basis.<hr /></blockquote>Actually, I've never checked; and honestly, I don't know how to check. Maybe I'll look into this.

Dave

Qtec
03-04-2007, 08:32 PM
I have ASDL Broadband. 100,0 MBps- whatever that means. Its pretty fast.
Q

wolfdancer
03-05-2007, 02:23 AM
"The views to a thread could be the same people checking it out several times a day."
We are a small eclectic group, that try to keep the dream of pool alive, against the newer addictions like the "X-box"
In that sense we are like the people from the Novel "Fahrenheit 454" that were memorizing the classics books before they are burned and disappear.....

CarolNYC
03-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Hi Dave,
Hmmmmm, I thought I answered this-had dial-up but now have fiber optics:)

Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ras314
03-06-2007, 04:07 PM
DSL, for the last couple months. Cost $50 some bucks per month so I ought to get to downloading some pool stuff in order to make it worthwhile.

c.holtz009
03-07-2007, 08:53 AM
DSL here. I usually download at 250-500 Kb/s depending on the server speed.

wolfdancer
03-07-2007, 10:48 AM
I have decided to come clean ...after waiting without luck for someone else to admit it first.....
I have piggyback access.....it's fast, and it's like real cheap.....

BigRigTom
03-07-2007, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I have decided to come clean ...after waiting without luck for someone else to admit it first.....
I have piggyback access.....it's fast, and it's like real cheap..... <hr /></blockquote>

What is Piggyback access?

O..I have DSL...7 years ago when I go it it cost $49.95/month if you signed a 1 yr deal, it has dropped like a rock and I now am paying $19.95/month and I also have the faster access rate from SBCYahoo.....still have to take a yearly contract to get the lower rate though.

wolfdancer
03-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Tom, when you tap into someone's wireless home network,to get a free ride on the 'net....it's piggybacking.
But most home networks are now secured, so I'm not sure how easy it is to do that.
you have a great price on your net access...I'm paying $46 a month for my cable broadband.
$46 to argue on the CCB....when I can go to the nearest bar, and do the same for the price of a couple of drinks

Qtec
03-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Just searched and I can can log on to 2 networks. Could be handy if my own line is ever down. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Q

wolfdancer
03-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Q, there are 5 local networks I can "see" and 2 are unsecured.
I'm afraid to even use the laptop at the airport to go to my bank or brokerage site.....