PDA

View Full Version : how to make a small turny great?

canadan
02-24-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm starting a turny so far its open to cash league players.$13 to get in this includes a pizza buffet free popcorn a diner break cheap drinks. $100's added 8 ball break (clean, only the 8 must drop) and $10 towards the prize fund. can anyone think of how to make it any better? not sure on format yet maybe round robin.

Fran Crimi
02-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Sounds like you're off to a good start. You could also have a break and run contest. Anyone interested must contribute a dollar to the pot and at the beginning of the night you pull one of their names out of a hat to try to break and run a rack of 8 ball. If they don't do it, the money gets added to next week's break and run pot. I've seen the pots get up into the hundreds before somebody won. It can get pretty exciting.

Fran

canadan
02-24-2007, 07:29 PM
that kinda what the 8 ball break is you get one break and if you sink only the 8 ball you win the money from prev. week(s) with a $100 added. but I do like like your idea of a run out.

cueball1950
02-24-2007, 11:14 PM
i Like Fran said and have to agree. We have a weekly 9 ball tournament here and our break and run is a 10 ball break and run. Here, we buy tickets and you can get an arms length for 10 bucks. Everytime someone breaks and makes a ball they continue to run the balls in order getting 10% of the pot for each ball you make. You must make a ball on the break and the balls must be run in order. Lets say that you are shooting at the 3 ball and the only shot you have is to play a 3-10 combination. you would shoot the combination making the 10 and then keep shooting. we have 1 rule and that rule is that a new person can get in (alot do after they hear how large it is) but he can only win 1/2 half of 10% and we pull another name and that person gets the other half of the 10%. Now, a new player can get the whole thing after he has contributed a minimum of $30.00 towards the pot. So far it has worked out great And we have had some jackpots up into the $2,500.00 to over the $3,000.00 mark... thats when they come out of the wood work looking to cash in.........mike

Billy_Bob
02-25-2007, 06:30 AM
I think it is important to listen to what the majority of players want. Then do that. i.e. Entry fee, spots paid, starting time, day of tournament, rules used, etc.

Also once you get the basics down, stick with it. Always have the same starting time, rules, etc.

Use BCA rules if possible, if modified BCA rules, have written and posted rules. This is most fair. Everyone knows (or should know) the rules ahead of time.

Then ask everyone what the best starting time is. Then that will be it period. Always start at that time. If they are late, too bad. They will learn to show up in time next week. It is not fair to the majority of players who show up on time to wait for one or two late players!

canadan
02-25-2007, 01:04 PM
how about gitting the word out? i've posted on 2 local forum but how else?

canadan
02-25-2007, 11:51 PM
hey cueball does everyone get a chance or just the ppl whos name (ticket) get drawn? if so how many tickets do they draw

cueball1950
02-26-2007, 01:34 AM
We only draw 1 ticket per night. The only people who are allowed to participate in the drawing are the one's who buy tickets. Tickets go for $1.00 each or like i said. $10.00 for an arms length...everybody seems to like the arms length idea. but remember not to let anybody in for the whole thing until they have contributed a set amount. (ours is $30.00 like i said previously) Other wise they can get in and only get half. then you would pull another name and they would share it. It seems only fair..when players sign up they are assigned a number. Usually 1 thru 32 or something like that. We have them put their number on each ticket. and what ever ticket gets drawn they go for it... OH... by the way...always have a nuetral person do the picking from the drum or what ever you use...we use 1 of those big pop corn drums (tins) that you see around in all the stores around xmas. they usually hold 3 types of pop corn. and it is greta for shaking the tickets up because it has a tight lid also...well i hope this helps you and good luck with you tournament.... please keep us posted..........mike

Billy_Bob
02-26-2007, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote canadan:</font><hr> how about gitting the word out? <hr /></blockquote>

In my area, word of mouth is the best way. Make up flyers announcing the tournament...

Give the name of the place holding the tournament. BUT list the name as it is listed in the phone directory! A bar may be called "Ted's" by the locals. However the actual name may be "Mr. Ted's Place". The phone book listing will be in the M's, not the T's! Someone may look at the flyer, but not keep it. Then later try to call and look for the bar in the phone book. Helps if you list the correct name.

Give the street address, city, and directions to get there. Some people are new to the area and will not know where it is located.

List the day of the week, entry fee, rules, starting time, etc.

Then go to other pool tournaments and hand out the flyers.

Also some local leagues may be willing to distribute the flyers in their packets. Remember that there may be 5 or more people on each team. Include enough flyers in each packet for each team member.

Post the flyers on the walls where the tournament will be held.

Take the flyers to other local places where people play pool. Ask permission to post them first. Bring your own tape and thumb tacks.

Many areas have regional billiard publications. These may list the tournament for free or you may need to pay for an ad.

Billy_Bob
02-26-2007, 08:15 AM
P.S. If posting this information on the internet, in addition to the above, list the city, state, and country.

Also be sure to include the area code with the phone number. People from all over the world can view things on the internet!

As an example of internet confusion... Someone may list a tournament in "Portland"...

Well is it Portland, Oregon USA, Portland, Maine USA, or Portland, Dorset U.K.?

canadan
02-26-2007, 09:52 AM
hears a sample of the post i put on the two local forums. Gerat response looks like there will be no problem filling 32 spots

-8 Ball
-Double Knockout
-Race to 4 on A side Race to 3 on B side
-Weekly at 2:15, Sundays
-Cash + and Under
-5-6 Tables
-Player who place more then once will get a handicap
-Active league rules
-Random Scotch Double maybe once a month
-$13 buy in = $2- pizza fund $1- 3 ball draw.
-15 min. supper break
3 Ball Draw
-You will get 1 ticket from the buy in. Additional tickets will be sold for $5 an arms length.
-1 ticket will be drawn,
-Winners will get one try at a 3 ball rack. Then they must sink the 3 balls with 3 shots.
-Your break will count as one shot.
-A scratch is an automatic loss.
-If you make 3 balls with 3 shots you will win 10% of the pot.
-$100 added.
-Since the whole pot can not be won it will be added to a tournament a week or two after Aactive playoffs.
-In order to play in the tournament you must have bought $30 of tickets over the next 10-12 weeks.
-If lots of players enjoy this there could be a nice money tournament in the end.

I also added a yellow pages link that has a map and phone number