PDA

View Full Version : brunswick blue circle cue ball ?

trob
02-25-2007, 07:12 AM
I've been away from pool and the forum for quite a few years. 5 to be exact. so I hope you don't mind anwsering a question.I'm playing at home with the Brunswick centenial balls. The tournaments and leagues I play in play with a red circle cue ball but I play with blue circle at home. Is there a difference or is that just brunswicks version of the red circle?

Rich R.
02-25-2007, 10:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trob:</font><hr> Is there a difference or is that just brunswicks version of the red circle? <hr /></blockquote>
There is no major difference. The red circle is just a different brand, Aramith I believe.

Fran Crimi
02-25-2007, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote trob:</font><hr> Is there a difference or is that just brunswicks version of the red circle? <hr /></blockquote>
There is no major difference. The red circle is just a different brand, Aramith I believe. <hr /></blockquote>

I guess it depends on how sensitive of a player you are. To me, there is a big difference between the red and blue circles. The red circle is slightly lighter in weight and IMO, possibly less dense. The blue circle that comes with the Centennials is the correct ball to use with the set because the cue ball evenly matches the object balls.

Here's how the whole idea of using the red circle to replace the blue circle got started: It started with the men pros back in the late '80s. Alan Hopkins, who was President of the men's association at that time, decided that he preferred to use the red circle with the Centennial balls because he felt the red circle was livlier. He managed to secure a sponsorship deal with Aramith and their cue ball became the official ball of their association. Everyone else (except the women) saw the men using the red circle and they all started buying one for themselves. Pool rooms jumped on the bandwagon and started replacing their blue circle cue balls with red circles.

Even though it happened a long, long time ago, some players and pool rooms still use the old formula of the red circle with the Centennials. In fact, I just played in a place this morning that still uses red circles.

Edited portion: One more thing and that's that years ago you weren't able to replace blue circle cue balls if you lost them because Brunswick only sold complete sets. Pool rooms were then replacing their lost blue circles with anything they could buy from the store, and it was usually a mess. Then the red circles came along, endorsed by the men's pro tour and at the pool rooms were able to at least have consistent cue balls across the board rather than a different one for each set. It was much better than the nightmare it used to be.

Nowadays you can buy a single Brunswick blue circle cue ball, but watch out for fakes! They're out there. The fakes have a light blue circle and the circle wears off over time.

Okay...so was that too much information? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

trob
02-25-2007, 03:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote trob:</font><hr> Is there a difference or is that just brunswicks version of the red circle? <hr /></blockquote>
There is no major difference. The red circle is just a different brand, Aramith I believe. <hr /></blockquote>

I guess it depends on how sensitive of a player you are. To me, there is a big difference between the red and blue circles. The red circle is slightly lighter in weight and IMO, possibly less dense. The blue circle that comes with the Centennials is the correct ball to use with the set because the cue ball evenly matches the object balls.

Here's how the whole idea of using the red circle to replace the blue circle got started: It started with the men pros back in the late '80s. Alan Hopkins, who was President of the men's association at that time, decided that he preferred to use the red circle with the Centennial balls because he felt the red circle was livlier. He managed to secure a sponsorship deal with Aramith and their cue ball became the official ball of their association. Everyone else (except the women) saw the men using the red circle and they all started buying one for themselves. Pool rooms jumped on the bandwagon and started replacing their blue circle cue balls with red circles.

Even though it happened a long, long time ago, some players and pool rooms still use the old formula of the red circle with the Centennials. In fact, I just played in a place this morning that still uses red circles.

Edited portion: One more thing and that's that years ago you weren't able to replace blue circle cue balls if you lost them because Brunswick only sold complete sets. Pool rooms were then replacing their lost blue circles with anything they could buy from the store, and it was usually a mess. Then the red circles came along, endorsed by the men's pro tour and at the pool rooms were able to at least have consistent cue balls across the board rather than a different one for each set. It was much better than the nightmare it used to be.

Nowadays you can buy a single Brunswick blue circle cue ball, but watch out for fakes! They're out there. The fakes have a light blue circle and the circle wears off over time.

Okay...so was that too much information? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the help but I do have to argue with one thing you said. I started playing leagues about 17 or 18 years ago. I gave up pool the last few years but I do remember the red circle controversey around here. The change occured because of valley tables. They came with smaller lighter cue balls..while alot of the old tables had those huge heavy magnetised cue ball. Of course the better players loved the lighter ball because they could get more out of it. So the guys running the league decided that there should be one consistant cue ball at all matches to make it fair.
I think I'll stick with the blue circle at home. I had a great season this year so why change whats working.

Fran Crimi
02-25-2007, 06:38 PM
17 Or 18 years ago sounds about right. I wouldn't be surprised if the red circle thing was happening in different places around the same time. I remember the pro player influence because I was there just as you were there for the leagues.

Fran

trob
02-26-2007, 03:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> 17 Or 18 years ago sounds about right. I wouldn't be surprised if the red circle thing was happening in different places around the same time. I remember the pro player influence because I was there just as you were there for the leagues.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

I didn't know about the pro influence but I do remember guys like me that played in pool halls were happy and the bar bangers were not. lol I could never understand why anyone would want to play pool with something the size of a softball.

Cornerman
02-26-2007, 01:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trob:</font><hr> I've been away from pool and the forum for quite a few years. 5 to be exact. so I hope you don't mind anwsering a question.I'm playing at home with the Brunswick centenial balls. The tournaments and leagues I play in play with a red circle cue ball but I play with blue circle at home. Is there a difference or is that just brunswicks version of the red circle? <hr /></blockquote>The original Red Circle cueball was made from a different resin (their carom resin), according to the Aramith manufacturer Saluc of Belgium. Saluc also makes the Brunswick Centennials which is the set that the Blue Circle comes in.

So, reports of different action with the Red Circle are confirmed and justified.

There are copies of the Red Circle which are not made by Saluc of Belgium.

Fred

trob
02-26-2007, 03:25 PM
So I guess that settles it..I'll be puting the blue circle away and playing with the red circle when at home.