PDA

View Full Version : Simonis 860 or Brunswick Centennial cloth on 7' table

alexvee
02-27-2007, 03:12 AM
Hi,

I'm buying a 7' Brunswick Highlander in the next few days and I'm trying to decide between the Simonis 860 and the Brunswick Centennial cloth. My question is, which cloth is slower?

Because I only have room for a 7' table, I don't want the table to play too fast, but I definitely want really good cloth. I'm also getting the pockets shimmed to make it more challenging on the smaller table and to improve my stroke.

Does anyone know which cloth is faster/slower? I know many of you on this forum go with Simonis by default, but on the smaller 7' table, I'm wondering what would be the better choice.

Thanks!
Alex

wannabeplayer
02-27-2007, 07:29 AM
get the simonis. from my understanding the brunswick stuff is a cheaper made version of simonis that is being sold at a higher price (similar to simonis). For pur playability ...Simonis wins this one.

alexvee
02-28-2007, 02:38 AM
Yeah, I've heard that before, but I'm more concerned with the speed of the cloth since it'll be on a 7' table. I'm used to shooting on Simonis 860 on 9' tables but I'm worried that the same cloth on a 7' table will feel too fast for the size of the table.

Thanks,
Alex

bataisbest
02-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Go with SIMONIS 860! I just replaced the cloth on my table last year, plays beautifully. It is a little faster than the other cloths but since that is what they have at the pool hall, I feel it can only help your game. I regret not doing it sooner but it is definitely worth doing.

BigRigTom
02-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Definitely Simonis 860.
Both of the bars where we play APA league have it on their 7' tables and it is GREAT!
The Arena Sports Bar in Simi Valley, Ca. has both 7' and 9' tables and he recovered both with the Simonis 860 a little over a year ago and it makes switching sizes a lot less painful.

alexvee
03-03-2007, 03:59 AM
I found a coworker that just bought a higher end Brunswick with the Centennial cloth and shot at his house the other night for a few hours. The cloth felt pretty good, not much different from the 860 I'm used to playing on, but it did feel a little more difficult to get some english off the cue ball. Then I went back to the store and they finally let me use a chalked cue to shoot some balls around (they didn't last time) on the Centinneal and the Simonis 860.

Overall, new Centennial cloth feels like broken in Simonis 860 that you'd fine in a good pool hall with a little more slip with draw and english, but definitely faster than new 860. The new Simonis 860 plays a litte slower with really good draw and english, which seems like it'll play much better on a 7' table, especially a home table that won't get beaten up like one in a pool hall.

Since new 860 plays a little slower, I placed the order today and ordered the 860 in spruce color (dark green). Thanks for all the feedback.

Alex

WoodMonkey
03-03-2007, 08:26 AM
If you want a slower cloth, maybe you shouldn't be looking at Simonis or Brunswick at all. Get a nice traditional "felted" cloth like Mali or Champion. On a 7' table, those would be plenty fast for getting position anywhere you want. And they're a lot cheaper.

Wood Monkey