PDA

View Full Version : Rules question: 9- ball

bataisbest
03-05-2007, 02:45 PM
What is the correct ruling after a player commits a bad hit thus awarding ball- in- hand to his opponent: 1) Pick-up the ball immediately after the foul and hand to your opponent or 2), let the cue ball continue its course until it stops ? I say 2) let it keep rolling. A couple people I know try to stop it from hitting other balls right after the foul is committed but I think the correct way to play is to let it continue since it is still a live ball even after a foul. Just wondering peoples thoughts on this. Thanks.

Bob_Jewett
03-05-2007, 03:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bataisbest:</font><hr> What is the correct ruling after a player commits a bad hit thus awarding ball- in- hand to his opponent: 1) Pick-up the ball immediately after the foul and hand to your opponent or 2), let the cue ball continue its course until it stops ? I say 2) let it keep rolling. A couple people I know try to stop it from hitting other balls right after the foul is committed but I think the correct way to play is to let it continue since it is still a live ball even after a foul. Just wondering peoples thoughts on this. Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>
It is unsportsmanlike conduct to touch the cue ball while it is still moving after a foul. Depending on the circumstances, this merits a "please don't do that" to a "you're out of the tournament." If the cue ball was in the open table and coming slowly to a stop, it's probably not even worth a mention. If they look like they're going to pick up the cue ball to keep it from hitting other balls, yell at them to try to keep them from doing it.

trob
03-05-2007, 03:32 PM
That's a tough one. I mean you definitly can't touch the ball until it stops rolling. If it's going to hit other balls then it has to be aloud to complete it's path. But is it a foul? The shooter just fouled by not touching the lowest ball on the table but does he lose that ball in hand back to the shooter for touching the ball? 20 years of serious playing and I've never seen it lol

bataisbest
03-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks. Sorry if I was'nt clear about the foul part of it. Only foul that is counted is the first one on the shooter. I see players do this alot at the poolhall and was wondering about other people's experiences in this type of situation. I see the pros just let the ball keep rolling even after a foul while their opponent gets up to the table to shoot.

Bob_Jewett
03-05-2007, 04:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bataisbest:</font><hr> Thanks. Sorry if I was'nt clear about the foul part of it. Only foul that is counted is the first one on the shooter. ... <hr /></blockquote>
That may be the way it's played in informal situations where you are, but in tournaments, the player who picks up a moving cue ball on its way to a cluster should expect a warning at the very minimum, loss of rack as a reasonable penalty and loss of the match for a repeated offense. You have to allow the balls to do what they are going to do.

trob
03-05-2007, 05:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bataisbest:</font><hr> Thanks. Sorry if I was'nt clear about the foul part of it. Only foul that is counted is the first one on the shooter. ... <hr /></blockquote>
That may be the way it's played in informal situations where you are, but in tournaments, the player who picks up a moving cue ball on its way to a cluster should expect a warning at the very minimum, loss of rack as a reasonable penalty and loss of the match for a repeated offense. You have to allow the balls to do what they are going to do. <hr /></blockquote>
Well put. That's why it obviously has to be a foul to touch the ball befor it stops . you have allow the balls to do what they are going to do. That certainly would change how the game plays out not to.

Fran Crimi
03-05-2007, 05:19 PM
In addition to Bob Jewett's comment:

It's tough being a tournament director or a league director because of all the work involved, but in addition to keeping track of everything, there are things that have to be said up front to the players if you want them to follow the rules. These announcements pertain to certain rules that are broken strictly by habit with years of no one bothering to enforce them. Catching the cb while it's rolling is one of these bad rule-breaking habits that players have been getting away with for a long time, particularly in local events.

It's up to the tournament and league directors to help players break this bad habit by enforcing the rules, starting with a warning about the rule during the players' meeting.

Fran

walt8880
03-05-2007, 05:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trob:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bataisbest:</font><hr> Thanks. Sorry if I was'nt clear about the foul part of it. Only foul that is counted is the first one on the shooter. ... <hr /></blockquote>
That may be the way it's played in informal situations where you are, but in tournaments, the player who picks up a moving cue ball on its way to a cluster should expect a warning at the very minimum, loss of rack as a reasonable penalty and loss of the match for a repeated offense. You have to allow the balls to do what they are going to do. <hr /></blockquote>
Well put. That's why it obviously has to be a foul to touch the ball befor it stops . you have allow the balls to do what they are going to do. That certainly would change how the game plays out not to. <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, I think it not a foul in the normal sense but is "intentional intereference" and falls under the unsportsmanlike conduct rule. Penalties there can be anything from a warning to loss of game or match.

You will never see a pro in a tournament touch a moving ball. The best thing to do is just get in the habit of letting the balls roll until they stop. That way there is no question.

jjinfla
03-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Then of course there is the follow up where player A is the shooter and he fouls with a bad hit and player B thinking he has BIH walks up to the table and picks up the CB before it stops rolling.

Jake

Bob_Jewett
03-05-2007, 06:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> ... Catching the cb while it's rolling is one of these bad rule-breaking habits that players have been getting away with for a long time, particularly in local events.... <hr /></blockquote>
That is perhaps the most commonly ignored rule, and perhaps more common than all of the other "it's a foul but everybody does it" shots put together. Including among the pros. The game is not over until the cue ball stops moving. The best thing for a player to do who has just pocketed the nine ball is to walk over to where he keeps his break stick and get it ready, and then come back to the table to pick up the deathly-still cue ball. The next time you watch a pro match on TV or video, count the number of games that would have been forfeited if the rules had been strictly enforced. Some players are careful about this rule and some are not. I think the IPT (RIP) used the strict rule, which was one of the things it did right.

Koenig
03-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Remeber an awful loss of Buddy Halls. He picked it up too early. US Open?

jjinfla
03-06-2007, 04:47 AM
Of course at my level of play, or league level of play, or bar room level of play, that is just one of those rules that is ignored most of the time. All one can do is grin and bear it and politely suggest that the next time she should allow the cue ball to stop rolling before she picks it up.

Most think that that is a rule for the pros and does not apply to the rest of us.

At least that is the only logical explanation I can come up with at this time.

Jake